Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . I ride dirt roads often. Some are better than others, but I have not been on one that has not been fun yet.

A couple things to be aware of, besides the Traction Control System not liking the back wheel freely spinning on gravel and keeping an eye on ground clearance.
    1) Your fuses may get loose and give you some dash messages. Just reseat them and you will be good to go.

2) Sometimes, a small pebble will get in the drive/belt and sprocket - it can be ejected at bullet speeds and if it hits the bike, you will hear a loud "CLANK". I have yet to find where these impacts occur, but they sound like 'something' ripped a metal part off the bike. If you have a passenger, there legs may be in the line of fire - make sure they wear high boots and leg protection.
    Those are the major things I have noticed that might be a problem, but 9 times out of 10, nothing happens but smiles and clouds of dust.

Oh, and do be prepared to crouch on the pegs and use your legs as shocks. If the road is rough, sitting will not be an option or possible, though that may depend on how you have your shocks set. So, don't carry a lot of stuff in the frunk or in side bags that will bounce around.

Enjoy your new land, sounds great.

Tom
    Thanks Tom. I can't wait to see it. And thanks for the tips. Maybe I should wear my dirt biking gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    2011 - Grand Canyon Spyder Gathering????
    Absofreakinglutely!!!!!!!!!!

Well... maybe 2012... unless ya'll want to camp.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    i think the condition of the road will dictate your speed. Around here it takes a while before it becomes packed hard like a highway, than my speeds can reach 100 mph if i choose to do it. Otherwise one loose rock under your rear tire and your tcs will kick in. No doubt your tcs will be very active on a gravel road if your pushing your speed. it's lots of fun..........
    Well it should be interesting to see what it's like. I'm hoping it's pretty hard packed so I can get up to at least 35 - 40MPH... otherwise, that'll be a long 14 mile ride. I'll have to let you all know once I actually get up there. Too bad I have to wait almost another 4 months. The suspense is killing me. I bought the property site unseen.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    LOL, I never was much for ocean front property...
    I think mouthpiece meant, Future ocean front.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you like rattlesnakes and immigrants.

Spyder Garage

That's a nice stretch of Route 66. We rode up to the Grand Canyon Caverns last year and had a great time.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I think mouthpiece meant, Future ocean front.
    No, that's where I live now...

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    More like mountain lions and big horn sheep.... and there are plenty of immigrants here in California.

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    That's a nice stretch of Route 66. We rode up to the Grand Canyon Caverns last year and had a great time.
    Yeah, our property is pretty close to the caverns, I plan on checking them out while we are there and also going up to that part of the Grand Canyon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Well . . . . .

. . . . it is close enough for me to make a Spyder CampOut.

If ( when ) I head out to the Grand Canyon area, I will let you know - I could take pictures of your land, pick out my campsite - and let you know what the road is like, too.

Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . it is close enough for me to make a Spyder CampOut.

If ( when ) I head out to the Grand Canyon area, I will let you know - I could take pictures of your land, pick out my campsite - and let you know what the road is like, too.

Tom
    Tom, that'd be great. Let me know when you head out that way.
    Last edited by SpyderGirl; 05-11-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Congrats on AZ Land

Based upon GPS coord. looks like you are north east of Kingman, part way to Hackberry, one of my favorite Rte 66 stops. Last time I was there (10 days ago) there was an EDSEL gathering. More than I have ever seen in one place.

Also from Kingman the Mother Road winds its way to Oatman, AZ where you can observe, and/or participate in the daily gunfight on the main street.

Pix below.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Considering we're all immigrants...... I think she'll be fine.....

Sounds like a great area to live!

Love the Grand Canyon area.... just amazing.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

That's good to know. I'm a dirt bike rider so I think I can handle it.

Now what do you think about speed on such roads??

The road that goes up from my property over to the Grand Canyon Skywalk is also a dirt track... about 35 miles one way.
    If your road is anything like the 35 mile dirt road to the Skywalk, you should have no trouble at all... I took that road in my Explorer a few months ago, and it's a bit rough but, without traffic, I could have averaged about 45 mph on it, even though it's signed bewteen 15 and 25. I'd take my Spyder down it in a heartbeat.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2011 - Grand Canyon Spyder Gathering????
    Absolutely, I'm ready (seriously)...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Considering we're all immigrants......
    This would make for an interesting new thread. I consider my ancestry exployers and settlers. My wife's Native American. So I guess it depends on how loosely one applies the word.
    Last edited by rnet; 05-12-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOL... Man all these jokesters...

Just thought I would agree here... The thing to keep in mind... When most folks post "Passable by all vehicles" they are not thinking about lowered vehicles or Spyders.

Spyders are pretty low to the ground.

So if there are any ruts in the road.... That is when it will get interesting... . If it says gravel road, well then I never worry. But BLM or Forest service type maintained roads... Yeah I worry. Most of the time mother nature trys to take back portions of it, and then the "Service" goes out once a year to make it "Passable" again.

If it was me I would take a car the first time. It is better to feel you should have taken the RT after your first trip, than take the RT and need help
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 05-12-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jrl.spyder View Post
    Based upon GPS coord. looks like you are north east of Kingman, part way to Hackberry, one of my favorite Rte 66 stops. Last time I was there (10 days ago) there was an EDSEL gathering. More than I have ever seen in one place.

Also from Kingman the Mother Road winds its way to Oatman, AZ where you can observe, and/or participate in the daily gunfight on the main street.
    I have only been on route 66 as far as Seligman. From there we stayed on 40 and went to Kingman. I am really stoked about the location of the property.

Love the Grand Canyon area.... just amazing.
    Me too. I fell in love the first time I was there. This trip in August will only be my second time in Arizona and I am already a property owner there.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
    If your road is anything like the 35 mile dirt road to the Skywalk, you should have no trouble at all... I took that road in my Explorer a few months ago, and it's a bit rough but, without traffic, I could have averaged about 45 mph on it, even though it's signed bewteen 15 and 25. I'd take my Spyder down it in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, I believe that it is very similar to Buck and Doe Rd which runs up to the Skywalk. That's the road that I would take from my property which is 35 miles from Skywalk.

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Absolutely, I'm ready (seriously)...
    I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    If it says gravel road, well then I never worry. But BLM or Forest service type maintained roads... Yeah I worry. Most of the time mother nature trys to take back portions of it, and then the "Service" goes out once a year to make it "Passable" again.

If it was me I would take a car the first time. It is better to feel you should have taken the RT after your first trip, than take the RT and need help
    I will probably rent a Jeep or a truck to go out to the property the first time... because you're right, mother nature does seem to have a way of taking over infrequently used roads. And yes, I'd hate to get stuck up there with the Spyder.

I also am considering camping a night up there just to see what it's like.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also considered bringing our dirt bikes with us and parking the Spyder at the Ranchero Motel off of Route 66 and making the trek up there on two-wheels instead. I don't know yet.
    Be sure and post a picture of the Spyder towing a trailer with 2 dirt bikes on it. That will be a real attention getter. Hope the property is just what you are looking for. The location looks like it should be great country.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trailer I have is about 180lbs and each bike weighs about 220lbs with fuel. The Spyder has no problem pulling it. I might even get you a picture sooner than August. Possibly this weekend... we plan to take the dirt bikes out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well sources don't mention that the road is gravel and says that it's passable by all vehicles. I too was concerned about the TCS. Maybe I can just disable it just for the trip to and from the property.

I am hoping that it's hard-packed so it won't be an issue. I guess if worse comes to worse I'll just have to rent a truck to go up to the property.

Anyone else have experience riding the Spyder in such conditions?

Well...I can tell you all about it because I own 5 acres 1 mile north of Rt 66 and the area you're talkin about is off Hwy 93 and the road heading toward the grand canyon is pretty tough on all small cars. It's pretty rough territory. The main road in is fine but get off on the dirt roads and you're better off using that lil Kawi you have in the garage.

Your neighbor

Stop by we'll talk shop

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Well...I can tell you all about it because I own 5 acres 1 mile north of Rt 66 and the area you're talkin about is off Hwy 93 and the road heading toward the grand canyon is pretty tough on all small cars. It's pretty rough territory. The main road in is fine but get off on the dirt roads and you're better off using that lil Kawi you have in the garage.

Your neighbor

Stop by we'll talk shop

That's good to know, thanks Al. We have pretty much decided that we'll need to take a regular vehicle up there the first time up to scope it out. If we did end up moving up there I'd have to find a way to improve the road up to our property because I'm not giving up my Spyder.

Also, I hear that SpeedSports in Livermore is having something on Sunday, maybe you'd be interested in going down there with us.

I'll see you around.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds great! We visited the Grand Canyon last year when we rode out from TN to the Spyder event in L.A. Beautiful area. Would love to visit again (hint hint)! Heading to South Dakota instead this summer though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheart View Post
    Sounds great! We visited the Grand Canyon last year when we rode out from TN to the Spyder event in L.A. Beautiful area. Would love to visit again (hint hint)! Heading to South Dakota instead this summer though.
    I'll let ya'll know and we'll have a big Spyder meet and camp-out with bonfires and stuff. Good times!