Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RT-S PE#783
    Spyder Garage

Question What do YOU do with tailgaters & other 'alternative' driving styles . . .

Okay, I've been driving for over 40 years (did i just admit that?). Sold all my motorcycles about 30 years ago and thought I was done. But after riding 2-up with Vaughn on the 1500 Suzuki last year, two months ago we test drove and bought our first Spyder RT-SE5, and I got bit! Two weeks ago we came home with the RS and I'm back on the road again . . . loving every minute of it. . . . except for those occasional tailgaters.

Commuting last Monday while driving my car, I had a very upsetting encounter with a tailgater, and yesterday Vaughn had a similar experience. I makes me wonder . . . . so my question is:

What do YOU do with tailgaters? How do you handle those people who don't know that a tap of the brakes means "Back Off"?

We put on a lot of miles every week on 2 lane roads with narrow shoulders and very few places to pass safely.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Cat
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I don't know that there is a solution, until you can get to a place to pull over and get out of the way. My solution.....I just get nervous!

Spyder Garage

If there is nobody in front on me I will speed up to stay away. Otherwise, I slow down to a rediculous speed until they get the idea.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Although its not correct, I carry marbles. Not the large jumbo ones, just the smaller size. They make a lot of noise when they bounce off the grill of a car. These are a last resort thing though and I have only used them a few times in 20+ years.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Although its not correct, I carry marbles. Not the large jumbo ones, just the smaller size. They make a lot of noise when they bounce off the grill of a car. These are a last resort thing though and I have only used them a few times in 20+ years.
    Me too. If I don't have any marbles readily available, I will pick up a few pebbles at the gas station. Doesn't cause any real damage to the vehicle behind you, but it sure gets them to back off wondering what is wrong with their ride.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnCat View Post
    . . except for those occasional tailgaters ... I'd really like to hear your thoughts. Cat
    I haven't seen one...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    I haven't seen one...

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

I believe in the 2-second rule for following. Obviously, I cannot regulate the distance between my vehicle and the one behind me, so I attempt to impose the 2-second rule on them by slowing down enough, causing the time between the two vehicles to get a bit closer to the 2-second rule than it was before I slowed down.

They'll generally pass me when they get the chance.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I just drop down a gear or two with out touching my brakes,The person tailgating will think you don't have working brake lights, and back off. Most tailgaters are trying to push you to go faster,This technique will UN nerve them so they'll just pass you and go on there merry way.

Spyder Garage

Tap the breaks just so they light up... drop down a gear and PUNCH IT!

I honestly rarely have tailgaters---- of course I like to run FAST.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post

SO what you really are saying is that you are losing your marbles?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    I like this approach........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that's a good way to get your a@@ shot off

Spyder Garage

Nice thought just be able to back it up. We lost a member on Our VTXOA forum from Florida last yr. to a tail gater. WOLFEN was his board name. He was shot and KILLED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Now that's a good way to get your a@@ shot off
    Nah, she hasn't got her finger on the trigger....YET.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A good way to prevent tailgating is to go the speed limit or get out of the left lane(on a 4 lane road). That is if you go slower than the speed limit. I dont have that problem, lol, I go faster. I have done the hard on the brakes thing before and it usually works well.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Nice thought just be able to back it up. We lost a member on Our VTXOA forum from Florida last yr. to a tail gater. WOLFEN was his board name. He was shot and KILLED
    A tailgater shot him ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I just drop down a gear or two with out touching my brakes,The person tailgating will think you don't have working brake lights, and back off. Most tailgaters are trying to push you to go faster,This technique will UN nerve them so they'll just pass you and go on there merry way.
    What if they are busy "Texting?"

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a ryder yet, but if I had the choice, I think I'd go for something soft, yet massive, like rubber pieces (a cut up spare tire?). Anyway, a more decent and defensive way to go around tailgaters would be to fly a bright neon yellow flag on a pole on the rear end of your Spyder.

I'd bet there's more to that story......
    Eddie, could you enlighten us? Please ...

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

I will pull over, let them go around me and then I chase them and make them miserable. Then if we are at a stop sign or light I go up to their side and scream at them with every bad word I can use! Makes me feel so much better

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnCat View Post
    Okay, I've been driving for over 40 years (did i just admit that?). Sold all my motorcycles about 30 years ago and thought I was done. But after riding 2-up with Vaughn on the 1500 Suzuki last year, two months ago we test drove and bought our first Spyder RT-SE5, and I got bit! Two weeks ago we came home with the RS and I'm back on the road again . . . loving every minute of it. . . . except for those occasional tailgaters.

Commuting last Monday while driving my car, I had a very upsetting encounter with a tailgater, and yesterday Vaughn had a similar experience. I makes me wonder . . . . so my question is:

What do YOU do with tailgaters? How do you handle those people who don't know that a tap of the brakes means "Back Off"?

We put on a lot of miles every week on 2 lane roads with narrow shoulders and very few places to pass safely.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Cat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    clever--i do that too sometimes. i like the marble or pebble thing-never heard that one before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    If there is nobody in front on me I will speed up to stay away. Otherwise, I slow down to a ridiculous speed until they get the idea.
    This is my method too. It's especially fun to watch them get mad when you're going 20 miles under the speed limit and they can't pass you until opposing traffic eases. Very satisfying.

Spyder Garage

Ignore them and enjoy the ride.
    Tap the brakes--I added one led that will just keep flashing.
    If that doesn't work and they're that up, pull over and let them go by--it's just not worth it.
    I am thinking of getting one of thoe t-shirts for my wife and a sawed off 12 gage that she can sling behind her !!!!
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Tap the breaks just so they light up... drop down a gear and PUNCH IT!

When possible I do everything I can to stay away from other moving vehicles. Fast or slow I am not a fan of careless drivers. My friend once told me "when your riding, assume everyone one the streets is out to kill you and you'll be fine".

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Well I just put the Flasher on... However I have only had to do that once. NEVER when following DOC.