Thread: blue lights

Spyder Garage

Default blue lights

I learned the hard way. If you are planning to purchase lights for your Spyder, in Louisiana it is illegal to use blue lights. R.S.32:318- "All persons other than law enforcement officers on official duty are prohibited from equipping, operating or using motor vehicles with blue colored electric lights thereon." I'm looking at a $200 ticket for my blue Glo-Riders. Had they been amber, $0.
    La1SheSpyder

Spyder Garage

Bingo! We're getting ready to add lights to the RS, and Oregon too is very picky about color displays on vehicles . . . . . . I was told by the State Police yesterday, basically, whichever color comes stock on the vehicle, stick with it, in the same area of the vehicle . . . and hope for the best
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wcc002 View Post
    I learned the hard way. If you are planning to purchase lights for your Spyder, in Louisiana it is illegal to use blue lights. R.S.32:318- "All persons other than law enforcement officers on official duty are prohibited from equipping, operating or using motor vehicles with blue colored electric lights thereon." I'm looking at a $200 ticket for my blue Glo-Riders. Had they been amber, $0.
    Yep, you can have them as long as their off while you're riding down the road. But while you're in the parking lot you can light up the world.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

out run em

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    I found out today that in IL there is a little known law governing how many lights you can have on the front of a vehicle and that is six. Spyder Wolf, you'd be in trouble here if you turned everything on and took off down the highway.
    I think that is how many forward facing white lights, which is why I did not add the Day Runner Pucks to my Spyder, but installed them on my wife's instead. I only have stock headlights, with white rings, and stock foglights as forward facing white lite.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Virginia state law says four forward facing (white) lamps. Hi-beam counts as four. Low-beam w/fog lites thats four, unless fog are amber, then thats two. Amber lites not limited, to date.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

So it looks like RTS's with 8 forward facing white lights (2 head lights, 2 fog lights, 2 LED running lights, and 2 white fender tip lights) are illegal in these states?

Even with the fog lights turned off the RTS has 6 white lights on all the time!

Also, Patti's new C300 now has a row of white LEDs that are on all the time as their "daytime running light" feature (about to become law that all cars in Europe will need these)

With these on all the time and her high beams on there are at least 6 forward facing white lights on. If you count each of the 20 LED's as a seperatre light then it's way more indeed.

Something is up with these laws and I'm not sure what?

But, I really don't think so many big companies like BRP, Audi and MB ( I know there are more cars now like this too) are really making all these "illegal" vehicles and getting the 50 State DOT approvial ether?

I mean really, turn on the high beams in Patti's C300 and you get a ticket? Something's not right here? I'm just not to the bottom of it yet?

I also know many older cars that had white running lights and the 4 beam head light system, and they made many of these cars for many, many years. I know the old Lincoln I had as a kid was like as well.

Maybe these laws are meant to be addressing full fledged head lights, I'm just not sure? But from what I know about cars on the road both past and present, even the new Spyder RTS something's not right here.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 10-03-2010 at 07:35 AM.
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    So it looks like RTS's with 8 forward facing white lights (2 head lights, 2 fog lights, 2 LED running lights, and 2 white fender tip lights) are illegal in these states?

Even with the fog lights turned off the RTS has 6 white lights on all the time!

Also, Patti's new C300 now has a row of white LEDs that are on all the time as their "daytime running light" feature (about to become law that all cars in Europe will need these)

With these on all the time and her high beams on there are at least 6 forward facing white lights on. If you count each of the 20 LED's as a seperatre light then it's way more indeed.

Something is up with these laws and I'm not sure what?

But, I really don't think so many big companies like BRP, Audi and MB ( I know there are more cars now like this too) are really making all these "illegal" vehicles and getting the 50 State DOT approvial ether?

I mean really, turn on the high beams in Patti's C300 and you get a ticket? Something's not right here? I'm just not to the bottom of it yet?

I also know many older cars that had white running lights and the 4 beam head light system, and they made many of these cars for many, many years. I know the old Lincoln I had as a kid was like as well.

Maybe these laws are meant to be addressing full fledged head lights, I'm just not sure? But from what I know about cars on the road both past and present, even the new Spyder RTS something's not right here.

MM
    It could very well be they are meant to address full fledged headlights. When I first purchased my GSX-R 750 in 1986 it had dual headlights built into the fairing. I was pulled over by an officer in SC simply because I had 2 headlights on the motorcycle. It took a little bit to convince him that it was a stock set up, but he finally let me go without a ticket. Now it is quite common to see 2-4 headlights on a bike as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods