Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default threads...

As a follow-up to my previous post...
    I'm not sure what the threads are in the Rotax engine, but I'd want to know before I started trying to insert a fitting that didn't match. There are slight differences in the three major tapered pipe fittings that could damage the case if used where they shouldn't be.
    1/8" NPT has 27, 60º threads per inch.
    1/8" British Standard Pipe has 28, 55º threads per inch.
    10 mm Metric Tapered Pipe has a thread pitch of 1 mm, or 25.4, 60º threads per inch.
    They may all look very similar, but needless to say, they aren't made to be interchangable.

From the posting last year, I was under the impression that the 10 mm pipe thread was the one used on the Rotax engine.
    Carlos or Lamont, please confirm.
    Last edited by sinkhole; 09-18-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    I'm not sure what the treads are in the Rotax engine, but I'd want to know before I started trying to insert a fitting that didn't match. There are slight differences in the three major tapered pipe fittings that could damage the case if used where they shouldn't be.
    10 mm Metric Tapered Pipe has a thread pitch of 1 mm, or 25.4, 60º threads per inch.
    They may all look very similar, but needless to say, they aren't made to be interchangable.

From the posting last year, I was under the impression that the 10 mm pipe thread was the one used on the Rotax engine.
    It appears you are right. That's what I get for going from memory. Dang, I hate getting old and forgetful!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    I'm not sure what the treads are in the Rotax engine, but I'd want to know before I started trying to insert a fitting that didn't match. There are slight differences in the three major tapered pipe fittings that could damage the case if used where they shouldn't be.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l-sending-unit

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Be Careful With Warranty

I have been wanting to install an oil pressure gauge on my Roadster but I cannot find a 10mm x 1.0 tee anywhere. The difference between the 1/8"NPT, as mentioned in other posts, is only 2 threads per inch. I see a lot of people using the 1/8"NPT and either not using the stock switch or using a tee. I spoke with the local Manager at my Spyder dealer and they have had many talks with BRP related to these add-ons. They had one bike catch on fire because of an led lighting system wiring problem.

In short, BRP looks at it this way: if the Spyder needed an oil pressure gauge, we would have put one on it. If someone uses a 1/8"NPT into a 10mm x 1.0 thread, any related problem with anything that can be remotely traced to an improper fitting or the lack of using the stock switch will void the warranty, period. You cannot necessarily, if having a problem and not using the stock switch, put the stock switch back on and get an accurate BUDs fault code. That sounds kind of hinky but I guess it is possible.

Also, any lighting that is added that is not a stock BRP product or approved product will invalidate the warranty on the electrical system. They said too many people are tapping into existing wiring, adding their own fuse panels and tapping into the fuse boxes resulting in fires and failures in the electrical systems. Therefore, any non BRP lighting deemed to have any possibility of causing the electrical failure will invalidate the warranty.

I can't believe an oil pressure sender using the proper fittings, if you can even find them, and the stock switch could possibly cause any fault. That is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I can understand the 1/8"NPT issue, I guess, since it is not the proper size, but that's about all. As far as the electrical system goes, I can kind of see their point. It is a complicated machine and we are making it more complicated by rewiring parts of the Spyder. Not true for all people, but not all of us are electrical engineers and some of you are more experienced than those who designed it.

I wanted to post this just to let you know what the factory Reps have been saying about all these add-ons and to be careful what you do !

Also, if I find a 10mm x 1.0 tee somewhere over the rainbow, I will let you know where I found it. Happy riding, but careful with add-ons and think first, not the "its better to ask forgiveness than permission" attitude !! I kinds fall into the latter

Spyder Garage

Here's where I ordered mine... $12.50 + shipping
    Importer/Distributor- BAT Inc. 7630 Matoaka Road. Sarasota, FL 34243
    phone (941) 355-0005 fax (941) 355-4683

Spyder Garage

Default OIl Pressure Gauge hook up

I am resurrecting this thread to add some more information.

This morning I decided to hook up the Auto Meter Oil Pressure unit I had installed in the dash of my RT.

To be on the safe side I took it to the tech at my dealer to have him handle the hook up. I purchased the Tee from BAT per this thread (10mm x 1.0 x 1/8" NPT) but when the tech began to thread it into the engine, the tee broke apart leaving the male thread inside the engine. He only applied a couple of pounds of pressure to the tee, so we were surprised that it twisted apart. He was able to get the piece removed but since we were unable to find another tee locally, we had to button the Spyder up and revert back to the factory sending unit only.

I called BAT and explained what happened and they are sending out replacement tees (I ordered two) right away. They requested I send back the one that twisted apart so they can examine it. They say they have never had this problem reported before. The guy I talked with did ask if a crush washer was used and I said no. He cautioned to use a crush washer and make sure the threads are well lubricated when installing this tee and is sending along a couple with my re-order.

I will update everyone when the new parts are installed.

My wife and I are heading out on our Spyders for ten days, so it may be a while before I get back to this project. We're heading up to the Washington DC area and then back down the Skyline Drive, Shenandoah Parkway, Blue Ridge Parkway on the home bound leg. This trip we're going to allow plenty of time to stop and see everything we can.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, have a safe and fun trip and please let us know how this project concludes. Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black