Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

How about a built in compass like my pickup has.

Spyder Garage

For me the best thing they could do is to eliminate the limp home mode. To me it's the dumbest thing any company could put on something on the road. One day someone is going to on the freeway doing 80 and go into limp mode (go from 80 to 40 in 2 seconds) and a car from behind is going to kill the rider, if it hasn't all ready happen. I'm thinking of selling my RT for this reason. If that doesn't scare you, nothing will. just my .02
    Mike R
    SoCal
    1986 HONDA HELIX CN250

2011 CAN AM SPYDER RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_R View Post
    For me the best thing they could do is to eliminate the limp home mode. To me it's the dumbest thing any company could put on something on the road. One day someone is going to on the freeway doing 80 and go into limp mode (go from 80 to 40 in 2 seconds) and a car from behind is going to kill the rider, if it hasn't all ready happen. I'm thinking of selling my RT for this reason. If that doesn't scare you, nothing will. just my .02
    They have already addressed this issue in a firmware update issued last year. Limp mode works differently now, and is not as readily triggered. If you haven't had dealer service and had the latest updates installed, you should visit your dealer or contact him with your VIN# to see if any updates are needed.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    They have already addressed this issue in a firmware update issued last year. Limp mode works differently now, and is not as readily triggered. If you haven't had dealer service and had the latest updates installed, you should visit your dealer or contact him with your VIN# to see if any updates are needed.
    OK, I will check it out. Thanks for the information
    Mike R
    SoCal
    1986 HONDA HELIX CN250

2011 CAN AM SPYDER RT

Spyder Garage

Default Bob T.

I would like a 6th gear and also move the air filler on the back wheel to the right side (this is a no brainer)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob T. View Post
    I would like a 6th gear and also move the air filler on the back wheel to the right side (this is a no brainer)
    Yes I agree they need a 6th gear. In my opinon they need a four cyclinder with quite a bit more power with better gas milage. If you really want a touring spyder like a Gold Wing or any other manufacture give us the option of more power.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A sixth gear would mean absolutely nothing without a major re-design of the powerplant and it's characteristics...
    These bikes like to rev; trying to make them loaf along would be like throwing a plow behind a thoroughbred race horse...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The current 5th gear is about the right ratio for interstate cruising. If you added a 6th gear, it would have to be a ratio very close to the current 5th gear or you'd really be lugging the motor at 70-75. Sooooooo, with 6 gears the ratios would have to be closer together or the first 5 moved down a bit.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Racy2 View Post
    Yes I agree they need a 6th gear. In my opinon they need a four cyclinder with quite a bit more power with better gas milage. If you really want a touring spyder like a Gold Wing or any other manufacture give us the option of more power.

So you would shift into sixth at 85-90 mph? Doesn't make any sense to me. I rarely ever get into fifth as it is. If you want a low revving engine buy a Gold Wing or a Harley but don't mess with the Spyder... with 100 HP, the RT is fine as it is.

I undertand that Rotax does make an 1190 CC engine and that probably would provide a bit more low end torque but I still don't feel it is needed.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    So you would shift into sixth at 85-90 mph? Doesn't make any sense to me. I rarely ever get into fifth as it is. If you want a low revving engine buy a Gold Wing or a Harley but don't mess with the Spyder... with 100 HP, the RT is fine as it is.

I undertand that Rotax does make an 1190 CC engine and that probably would provide a bit more low end torque but I still don't feel it is needed.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Passionate Kisses like Lucinda Williams sings
    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

We shall see but in my opinon BRP will come out with a different engine/more power in the not to distant future.

Spyder Garage

Was at Louis Power Sports in Greenville this morning overhearing a conversation between the sales manger and a customer. The 2014 Spyders will be all new, newer frame, bigger motor 1400cc and 6-speed and other changes.
    Shooter
    972-467-8077

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Was at Louis Power Sports in Greenville this morning overhearing a conversation between the sales manger and a customer. The 2014 Spyders will be all new, newer frame, bigger motor 1400cc and 6-speed and other changes.

Did you smoke any of that stuff with them?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default RT future

Interesting reading all the ideas and wish lists for the future of the RT. I own a 2012 RT S and love the devil out of it! I come to the RT from a very long line of bikes owned and was absolutely amazed by the thoughtfulness of engineered details. I will never forget standing beside my RT, wiring harness for battery charging in hand, only to find some thoughtful engineer had included that simple but never included item.
    2013 STS , Yellow

Spyder Garage

I don't know if they smoked anything or not, but while no specifics were provided, I heard from 'the most reliable source' that the changes are significant and have been in the works for a few years. I asked if they were significant enough to cause someone with a 2010 RT to want to trade it in & was told they were significant enough for someone with a 2013 RT to want to trade it in...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I don't know if they smoked anything or not, but while no specifics were provided, I heard from 'the most reliable source' that the changes are significant and have been in the works for a few years. I asked if they were significant enough to cause someone with a 2010 RT to want to trade it in & was told they were significant enough for someone with a 2013 RT to want to trade it in...

We are almost four month's away from 2014 and I just can't believe that Can Am could maintain that kind of secrecy.
    On the other hand maybe the stuff the NSA has been gathering doesn't include Canadian telephone and electronic communications.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My New Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    For a first year production unit I think BRP did a pretty good job with the Touring version of the RT. It has a few bugs to workout like any other product but all in all they did good.

I'm sure that a lot of information was gleaned from this site as far as what we were doing to the GS/RS Spyder. If you look at other BRP products like the watercraft you can get the idea that they are always looking for the next best thing to make a product even better.

Chances are we're not going to see any major changes for a few years but now that a lot of us have put some real miles on the RT, what improvements would you like to see in the future?

I'll start.

• Longer range before fuel stops.
      Even though the RT is right in line with other trikes as far as range and fuel economy I would like to see at least a 200 mile range. That may take a bigger tank, bigger motor or change in gearing but if you're going tour you need more range.
    • Better suspension.
      I'm pretty happy with the stock rear suspension but the front is really lacking and that should be an easy thing to fix. I know the Elka's made a huge difference in the ride for me and there's no reason the RT can't come stock with good shocks. I know most companies cut corners in this area but BRP doesn't need to. UPDATE- Fixed in 2011
    • Better seat with fuel door.
      After spending some serious miles on my Corbin I can tell you there is a lot of room for improvement on the seat. Having the seat cup you in and having a backrest is something that all touring machines should have. The gas door is one of the greatest things ever. Not having to lift your seat to fill your tank is a big plus.
    • More power for more lights and gizmos.
      If you look at the Goldwings or even the Harley Touring bikes they all have extra lights and gizmos on them. Not only that but when you start adding stuff like heated seats, GPS, radar, neon's or LEDs, cell phone chargers and who knows what else it really starts adding up. Along those lines I think the next RT should come stock with HID lights. That really makes a difference on those dark country roads. It's a safety thing too as people can see you better.
    • More windshield options.
      I would like to see taller and shorter versions of the stock windshield. Right now I wish mine was about 3" shorter and I'm sure there are those who would like a taller windshield. UPDATE- Fixed in 2011.
      And a windshield wiper like these guys sell. http://www.peerclear.com
    • Wind deflectors.
      There are a few areas on the current RT that I would like to block the wind and there are times I would like to route the wind to me. All the Goldwing guys use Baker Airwings and they do a good job at doing this very thing. At least make that a factory option.
    • Adjustable floorboards and more forward foot position.
      This is one thing that Harley has nailed. Having your feet in front of you makes for a much better day in the saddle. A heal/toe shifter option would be good too. This is something the Goldwing is limited on because it's a flat 6 but I think it's doable on the RT. On the Boss Hoss it is adjustable so that the controls slide on a rail to where you need them. While you're at it make the read board adjust without any tools like it looks like it does in the BRP video. That would be handy when you go from one of your kids on the back to your wife.
    • Passenger armrest.
      Once again this should be standard on all touring machines. And while you're there how about a passenger cup holder and maybe a flip up grove box that's built into the armrest, ladies love that kind of stuff.
    • Top loading bags with removable trunk.
      I absolutely hate side loading bags. I never use the ones I have now because they are too much trouble. A top loading bag works so much better and I would use those if I had them. There are more than a few of us that ride solo most of the time so I really don't need a rear trunk most of the time. Make it so that is removable and maybe give us a fender rack to throw on top if we like. Once again Harley nailed it on this one.
    • Handbrake?
      I'm sure there is a good reason for not having it on any of the current Spyders but I sure can't think of one. Motorcycle guys tend to grab for that brake in a panic stop. Roll you bike out of a trailer and tell me what you grab for when it starts getting away from you. I know you can get use to not having one but dog gone it I spent all these years training myself to grab the front brake first and then the rear and I want to keep that training when I jump back on my bike.
    • Adjustable handlebars.
      We come in all shapes and sizes and it would be nice if the bars could adjust forward and backward and maybe up and down. I think they do this on their watercraft already.
    • More power on take off.
      This thing is a dog on take off, you give it throttle and nothing happens till the computer is happy. They really need to at least give us the same throttle response as the RS
    • Bluetooth interface.
      Everything is wireless now days so why have a cord to tether us to the RT? At least make Bluetooth a option. Driver to passenger communication should be standard and the wiring should be in place for all the options so all you have to do is buy the component and plug it in. Don't make the dealers have to figure out after they order the CB that they need a separate wiring harness to make it work.
    • Audio upgrade option. It would be nice to have a better option than stock. A lot of guys are now changing out the speakers for better ones and I'm sure if BRP offer a Premium Audio package it would sell.
    • Move the GPS. I would like to see the GPS up on the top of the dash so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to look at the map. While you're at it give us weather and traffic like on the Garmin 665.
    • Match the the rear with the front. I'm not sure why you can't get the rear wheel to match the fronts. If you're going to have "Metallic Silver" front rims then give a rear wheel and sprocket to match.
    • Tapped hole on the bars? It sure would be nice if they gave a 1/4" 20 tapped hole on the left bar somewhere so a guy can easily mount a RAM ball. That could be used for all sort of things like cell phones, GPS, cup holders and all the other goodies folks load a touring bike up with.
    • Shorty antennas. I've replaced my antennas with shorties and they work just fine for what I need them to do. I can't tell you how many post I've read here about the antennas either falling off or breaking off. Give us a shorty stock.
    • Gauge options. A lot of us have pulled the analog gauges out and replaced them with volt and oil pressure gauges. I would love to see that as a factory option.
    • Miles per gal/tank reading? I know just about every car I've owned in the last 10 years will tell me how many mile to the gallon I'm getting real time and on average. They will also give you how many miles left in the tank. We all know these are not numbers to live by but I sure would like to know if I can adjust my speed and maybe get a few more miles out of my tank if need be.
    • Off Road pipe option. I'm sure if there was a Hindle option for the RT it would sell for those of us that like a little attitude in the sound department.
    • Graphics option. I would love to see some graphic options for all the Spyders. I've seen some pretty cool stuff out there from the aftermarket guys and if I could get something like that from the factory I would be all over it.

That's all that comes to mind right now but maybe you can add to this list. As far as I know the Spyder is the first road machine that BRP has made and maybe they could use a little input from us as to what would make a great product just about perfect.
    I really enjoyed this post!!! This is my second Spyder and I previously owned the 2008 RS. Yes, the one with ALL the bugs! When I compare what I had to what I now own (2012 RT-S) they are worlds apart! But looking at your laundry list of things we "could" have, it makes me optimistic that BRP will come out with something we can believe in! Look at all the technology that's gone into the 2012 model of the RT! Now I've over 6,000 miles on my Spyder since May 10th! And I couldn't possibly have come up with a list as extensive as this! It makes me say: "I shoulda thought of that"!! Great jub!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Why have a 200 mph speedometer

Why do they show 200 mph on speedometer? Top speed would be plenty and give more resolution on needle speedometer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1957cushman View Post
    Why do they show 200 mph on speedometer? Top speed would be plenty and give more resolution on needle speedometer.
    Your speedometer also is used for KPH.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

This has been a fun read now that the 2014's are coming out with all the inprovements that have been made to it. Looks like a number of wishes have been met.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Larger engine, 6th gear, more torque, upgraded and improved cooling and electrical systems...
    What else do you (or could you) want??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

How fast is fast enough? Rotax scared me at first with the high rev 'love' but after 16000 trouble free miles I realize the 4G, 5G or even 6G rev aint nothing to worry about. Besides why are you ryding @ 90MPH ....enjoy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_R View Post
    ... I'm thinking of selling my RT for this reason. ...
    It looks like you changed your mind after all. Am I right?
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    We are almost four month's away from 2014 and I just can't believe that Can Am could maintain that kind of secrecy. On the other hand maybe the stuff the NSA has been gathering doesn't include Canadian telephone and electronic communications.
    What do you think now, Double Trouble?
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads