Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change designed to allow owner easier access.

Hi Lamont,

It would be nice if it were easier to change the oil and filter by the owner. Instead of having to remove panels.

SpyderBen

Spyder Garage

Great review Lamont and others.
    • I would like to see a standard bluetooth option for all audio components. The GPS just doesn't cut it. Without a bluetooth system, you might as well just use a smartphone for everything. There are apps out there that do a lot more than what $2K plus in audio equipment does. It is the 21st Century.
    • I would improve the mounting brackets on the windshield so it doesn't rattle so much
    • Put an outlet on the side by seat for a Battery Tender Jr. or the like to keep you battery fresh without having to leave your seat up. But, make sure the yike won't start if the tender is connected...tends to fry the electronics.
    • With all the customizations being done with colored lights, make the dash and handlebar lights adjustable for color.
    • AGREE VERY MUCH WITH HID LIGHTS for safety !
    • Instead of moving the front pegs forward, make them adjustable. I am disabled and it currently works fine with my short legs. Or floorboard would be nice.
    • Second the motion on heel-toe shifter. I added one and it makes a huge difference, especially when driving in traffic.
    • Did I mention bluetooth ?
    The Irish don't dance, they just hold each other up ! (I am Irish, so I can get away with saying that...)
    - David Feherty - AT&T Pebble Beach 2/9/12

Spyder Garage

Just an update to this post. I have thousands of miles on the RS and now the RT and I pretty much feel the same as I did on the original post. I think a cruiser style Spyder would be a big hit and I would be first in line for something like that. I really hope BRP takes a long hard look at doing this. I know it's not for everyone but I think it will target a huge crowd that their not reaching now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A cruiser?? How could they package that?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-20-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Just an update to this post. I have thousands of miles on the RS and now the RT and I pretty much feel the same as I did on the original post. I think a cruiser style Spyder would be a big hit and I would be first in line for something like that. I really hope BRP takes a long hard look at doing this. I know it's not for everyone but I think it will target a huge crowd that their not reaching now.
    A cruiser style spyder would be awesome!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it might help our image with the public...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Captain America & Billy !!

Don't Bogart that Spyder, my Friend...
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

I would like to see better headlights, horn and reliability. Also can they come up with a way to disable that silly startup screen? I hate watching my friends all ride away after stopping to look at a map, and I'm still waiting to start my bike.

Spyder Garage

1)I would like to have an adjustable lumbar pad like the one I had on my Burgman 650 adjustable from under the seat. Slid back and forth about 2-1/2 to 3 inches.

2) Maybe an air bladder adjustable seat cushion that could be adjusted on the fly.

3) Standard power port in the frunk.

4) standard highway foot pegs from the factory, strong enough to support shifting weight in the seat. Not the flimsy plastic mounted kind you can only gently lay your feet on.

5) redesigned directional switch similar to one on Suzuki bikes. Very positive off action with a light touch.

6) larger gas tank Minimum of 7.5 Gal.

7) Total redesign of radiator heat flow away from rider, better yet adjustable to redirect the heat back to rider for winter riding.

8) Factory driver backrest option.

Misc. Options--- Air conditioning, Ice maker and Drink dispenser , Kitchen sink, Expresso maker, Wide screen TV

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder RT is a beautiful bike and some of the subtleties really amaze me. But you have compiled a great list of improvements and we would all like to see some changes in these areas. Hopefully BRP is monitoring this forum and taking notes. I intend to be a Spyder customer for the rest of my riding life.

Thanks for all you do for this site and the Spyder. I look forward to meeting you someday. Your mods are great.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cearley View Post
    1)I would like to have an adjustable lumbar pad like the one I had on my Burgman 650 adjustable from under the seat. Slid back and forth about 2-1/2 to 3 inches.

2) Maybe an air bladder adjustable seat cushion that could be adjusted on the fly.

3) Standard power port in the frunk.

4) standard highway foot pegs from the factory, strong enough to support shifting weight in the seat. Not the flimsy plastic mounted kind you can only gently lay your feet on.

5) redesigned directional switch similar to one on Suzuki bikes. Very positive off action with a light touch.

6) larger gas tank Minimum of 7.5 Gal.

7) Total redesign of radiator heat flow away from rider, better yet adjustable to redirect the heat back to rider for winter riding.

8) Factory driver backrest option.

Misc. Options--- Air conditioning, Ice maker and Drink dispenser , Kitchen sink, Expresso maker, Wide screen TV

This has to be THE biggest issue for riding comfort that an owner cannot really "modify". Even Lamont used a "cookie sheet" to try to deflect the heat away. I am still befuddled as to why BRP has not addressed this design issue. SpyderPops has after market mods to help owners, and their passengers, deal with the "blow torch" effect that is really nothing more than a design that was not throughly thought out. Who ever thought that deflecting a heat-source directly into the path of a riders right foot was a good idea, clearly never rode this machine in the summer heat. Come on BRP.....you have to have a fix in store for this......don't you?

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now that's what I'm waiting for!!!!!
    Also change the engine to a 4 or 6 cylinder and more power and add a heal to toe shifter.
    I am still watching and waiting to come back to a Spyder. After the two we had did not
    work out for us we went back to cruisers and have logged 65,000 miles in 2 1/2 years on
    two bikes each, we would love to get another RTS but not until some major changes
    have been made!
    I will keep watching and checking back in from time to time.
    Thanks,
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would like to see the heal/toe shifter as an option
    Bluetooth would be awesome
    Better shocks is a must
    I love my Spyder and I'm sure this is not my last one.

Spyder Garage

Wink At a price

All these suggestions are good but for improvements & new innovations that are added will add to the price as most people are aware. The Spyder is already out of reach for a lot of wanna be owners. I was one until I managed to save enough money from my Social Security to get my RT. Now I can say it is money well spent.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by philbert1998 View Post
    All these suggestions are good but for improvements & new innovations that are added will add to the price as most people are aware. The Spyder is already out of reach for a lot of wanna be owners. I was one until I managed to save enough money from my Social Security to get my RT. Now I can say it is money well spent.

I disagree.

Not having your product work the way it is claimed will cause people to turn away from purchasing it. Manufactures should always strive to improve their products while simultaneously balancing such improvements with cost. Some improvements are "cheap" while others are not. Cost effective improvements that lead to improved customer satisfaction will prove an intelligent corporate investment thru future product purchases. Simply put, makes the BEST product out there that people can afford and they WILL buy your product over your competitors resulting in your cornering the market.

Spyder Garage

Better turn signal switch and light them up on the mirrors for better visibility and safety. I was having to look down every time I made a turn to see if the little green arrows were flashing and half the time you can't see them. Since lighting them up on the mirrors what a great improvement.
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Spyder Garage

I'm just now reading what you wrote back in April of this year. Although I could have started back riding about a month ago, I've waited based on a hunch that someone had earlier this year. Although they were not anywhere's specific about what, if any, changes would be forthcoming, they did say it would behoove me to wait. I hope that your above observations hold true.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Squealing brakes

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSpyder View Post
    You know when I bought my Outlander 400 XT ATV from Bombardier the brakes started squealing the very first day on the trail. I trailered it all the way back to dealer and they told me all Bombs squealed on and off, nothing could be done. Well, I changed to a different brake material that Bombardier does not offer and the noise stopped. Four years later here we are dealing with Can-am and they STILL have done nothing about it....that is shameful because they know they have this problem with their brakes, it is not anything new to them.
    They also knew about the heat on the legs and feet back then also.
    Joe
    This is so sad to read- and even though the posts are old-----it floors me that BRP has done nothing about it. In 1973- when Volvo was still a SWEEDISH car ----they too had squealing brake issues. It was indeed the chosen material they chose for Brake Pads. It was a hard material and later they changed it to a softer material. Life of the pads were a little shorter- but it didn't squeal! So why has BRP NOT done the same type of thing is beyond me. Simple fix ---yet they chose not to address it? WOW!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Response Rate

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Add one more to my list...faster response rate for the cruise control. It varies far too much on anything but dead level ground.

I agree. I have to hit mine 2-3 times before it activates

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Overcoming the start-up screen

Quote Originally Posted by dslim View Post
    I would like to see better headlights, horn and reliability. Also can they come up with a way to disable that silly startup screen? I hate watching my friends all ride away after stopping to look at a map, and I'm still waiting to start my bike.

What I do is turn on the key first before I start with the helmet, gloves, etc. The screen will be waiting for you instead.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    I agree. I have to hit mine 2-3 times before it activates
    That is not the response rate. BRP fixed the response rate issue in late 2010with a firmware update. If your Spyder cruise does not activate on the first push, it has one of the following problems:

1. Speed/rpm too low to allow activation.
    2. Operator error...usually a result of loose or bulky gloves.
    3. Bad switch or wiring. Can be tested by dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

With 22,000 miles on my 2011 RT here's my two cents.

More range as mentioned.

Give us some options on exhaust pipes.

More color options.

FIX THE HEAT ISSUE

Thanks for asking.

Spyder Garage

Default Looking into the future of the RT

Now on my second RT, had a 2011 RT Limited with 15,000 miles and just got a 2013 RT Limited.

Was really hoping to see some good improvements on the 2013, but I do not see any really worth while improvements on it yet. With a 1000 miles on it, I almost wonder why I traded up. Traded up? No, traded sideways, I don't feel like I really traded up.

Improvement wish list:
    1. Do something about the right side foot warmer, this does not work well in Texas heat. Having to dress for the excessive heat sucks. Enough owners have voiced this issue, so why not do something about it?
    2. Better range, get the on board computer tell how many miles we have left in the tank.
    3. Better turn signal switch, my Burgman 650 gave me a more positive feel.
    4. Better dash indicator lights, turn signal, and engine warning lights are worthless in daylight. Got in again install my own dash indicators where I can see them.
    5. Fuel door would be nice.
    6. Less heat coming up between my crutch and the mini storage compartment would make for a better ride. It is hot enough as it is down there.
    7. Engine warning info needs to tell us more then just "Engine". We have a nice display that could tell us a whole lot more intelligent info to the driver. We are going backwards to the old "Idiot" light.
    8. LED lights for the whole bike, headlight, turn signal, reverse lights, driving lights. What good are the fog lights? Make them in to good daytime driving lights.
    9. Trailer, copy the rear light setup as the bike has. I hate the fact that they combine the brake and turn signal together, and no reverse lights on the trailer.
    10. Put a better dome light in the front and rear trunks.
    11. On the 2013 model, they could have added lights to the new fender reflectors. Break light and turn signal light on the front fender would be a lot nicer and would help make the bike more visible. Now I need to make the changes myself.
    12. Display how many miles to go before next recommended oil change.
    13. Get a faster more responsive outside air temperature display, and place the sensor some where in the front air dam.

If it was not for the engine vibration that worried me, I would not have wasted my money on buying a 2013 model, my 2011 was just as good. Oh yeah, the 2013 looks nice, I know they changed the frame a little, put on bigger foot rest, but a cooler foot rest I would have liked a whole lot better.

ZWolf.TX
    2013 RT Limited #2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Allan M.

Spyder Garage

Default Looking into the future of the RT

you all hit the nail on the head . it all sound right.

Spyder Garage

Well with only 2 Billion made last year i dont think they can afford to fix all these pittyful requests The price of a would jump to 40k