Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree

I am about to but the new rt-s. I am looking at the garmin which has bluetooth to connect my phone but does it than go through the bikes wiring for hard wired headsets? A bluetooth module like the Harley that would handle all the audio/voice/cb components would be great. Or even hard wired headsets that also do bluetooth. I am a nurse on the road who needs to be in contact help!!! This is my first time on the forum thanks edrn

Spyder Garage

Default Buying rt-s need advice

I am buying the rt-s and am looking for some advice. I have ridden both manual transmission bikes and currently own a bergman which is auto. is there better performance or mileage from the manual transmission vs the semi auto se? thanx edrn

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edrn View Post
    I am buying the rt-s and am looking for some advice. I have ridden both manual transmission bikes and currently own a bergman which is auto. is there better performance or mileage from the manual transmission vs the semi auto se? thanx edrn
    Mileage is about the same with ether trans, Performance might be a little faster off the line with the semi auto.
    That said i prefer the manual. I always had manual trans so i see no reason to change.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    For a first year production unit I think BRP did a pretty good job with the Touring version of the RT. It has a few bugs to workout like any other product but all in all they did good.

I'm sure that a lot of information was gleaned from this site as far as what we were doing to the GS/RS Spyder. If you look at other BRP products like the watercraft you can get the idea that they are always looking for the next best thing to make a product even better.

Chances are we're not going to see any major changes for a few years but now that a lot of us have put some real miles on the RT, what improvements would you like to see in the future?

I'll start.

• Longer range before fuel stops.
      Even though the RT is right in line with other trikes as far as range and fuel economy I would like to see at least a 200 mile range. That may take a bigger tank, bigger motor or change in gearing but if you're going tour you need more range.
    • Better suspension.
      I'm pretty happy with the stock rear suspension but the front is really lacking and that should be an easy thing to fix. I know the Elka's made a huge difference in the ride for me and there's no reason the RT can't come stock with good shocks. I know most companies cut corners in this area but BRP doesn't need to. UPDATE- Fixed in 2011
    • Better seat with fuel door.
      After spending some serious miles on my Corbin I can tell you there is a lot of room for improvement on the seat. Having the seat cup you in and having a backrest is something that all touring machines should have. The gas door is one of the greatest things ever. Not having to lift your seat to fill your tank is a big plus.
    • More power for more lights and gizmos.
      If you look at the Goldwings or even the Harley Touring bikes they all have extra lights and gizmos on them. Not only that but when you start adding stuff like heated seats, GPS, radar, neon's or LEDs, cell phone chargers and who knows what else it really starts adding up. Along those lines I think the next RT should come stock with HID lights. That really makes a difference on those dark country roads. It's a safety thing too as people can see you better.
    • More windshield options.
      I would like to see taller and shorter versions of the stock windshield. Right now I wish mine was about 3" shorter and I'm sure there are those who would like a taller windshield. UPDATE- Fixed in 2011.
      And a windshield wiper like these guys sell. http://www.peerclear.com
    • Wind deflectors.
      There are a few areas on the current RT that I would like to block the wind and there are times I would like to route the wind to me. All the Goldwing guys use Baker Airwings and they do a good job at doing this very thing. At least make that a factory option.
    • Adjustable floorboards and more forward foot position.
      This is one thing that Harley has nailed. Having your feet in front of you makes for a much better day in the saddle. A heal/toe shifter option would be good too. This is something the Goldwing is limited on because it's a flat 6 but I think it's doable on the RT. On the Boss Hoss it is adjustable so that the controls slide on a rail to where you need them. While you're at it make the read board adjust without any tools like it looks like it does in the BRP video. That would be handy when you go from one of your kids on the back to your wife.
    • Passenger armrest.
      Once again this should be standard on all touring machines. And while you're there how about a passenger cup holder and maybe a flip up grove box that's built into the armrest, ladies love that kind of stuff.
    • Top loading bags with removable trunk.
      I absolutely hate side loading bags. I never use the ones I have now because they are too much trouble. A top loading bag works so much better and I would use those if I had them. There are more than a few of us that ride solo most of the time so I really don't need a rear trunk most of the time. Make it so that is removable and maybe give us a fender rack to throw on top if we like. Once again Harley nailed it on this one.
    • Handbrake?
      I'm sure there is a good reason for not having it on any of the current Spyders but I sure can't think of one. Motorcycle guys tend to grab for that brake in a panic stop. Roll you bike out of a trailer and tell me what you grab for when it starts getting away from you. I know you can get use to not having one but dog gone it I spent all these years training myself to grab the front brake first and then the rear and I want to keep that training when I jump back on my bike.
    • Adjustable handlebars.
      We come in all shapes and sizes and it would be nice if the bars could adjust forward and backward and maybe up and down. I think they do this on their watercraft already.
    • More power on take off.
      This thing is a dog on take off, you give it throttle and nothing happens till the computer is happy. They really need to at least give us the same throttle response as the RS
    • Bluetooth interface.
      Everything is wireless now days so why have a cord to tether us to the RT? At least make Bluetooth a option. Driver to passenger communication should be standard and the wiring should be in place for all the options so all you have to do is buy the component and plug it in. Don't make the dealers have to figure out after they order the CB that they need a separate wiring harness to make it work.
    • Audio upgrade option. It would be nice to have a better option than stock. A lot of guys are now changing out the speakers for better ones and I'm sure if BRP offer a Premium Audio package it would sell.
    • Move the GPS. I would like to see the GPS up on the top of the dash so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to look at the map. While you're at it give us weather and traffic like on the Garmin 665.
    • Match the the rear with the front. I'm not sure why you can't get the rear wheel to match the fronts. If you're going to have "Metallic Silver" front rims then give a rear wheel and sprocket to match.
    • Tapped hole on the bars? It sure would be nice if they gave a 1/4" 20 tapped hole on the left bar somewhere so a guy can easily mount a RAM ball. That could be used for all sort of things like cell phones, GPS, cup holders and all the other goodies folks load a touring bike up with.
    • Shorty antennas. I've replaced my antennas with shorties and they work just fine for what I need them to do. I can't tell you how many post I've read here about the antennas either falling off or breaking off. Give us a shorty stock.
    • Gauge options. A lot of us have pulled the analog gauges out and replaced them with volt and oil pressure gauges. I would love to see that as a factory option.
    • Miles per gal/tank reading? I know just about every car I've owned in the last 10 years will tell me how many mile to the gallon I'm getting real time and on average. They will also give you how many miles left in the tank. We all know these are not numbers to live by but I sure would like to know if I can adjust my speed and maybe get a few more miles out of my tank if need be.
    • Off Road pipe option. I'm sure if there was a Hindle option for the RT it would sell for those of us that like a little attitude in the sound department.
    • Graphics option. I would love to see some graphic options for all the Spyders. I've seen some pretty cool stuff out there from the aftermarket guys and if I could get something like that from the factory I would be all over it.

That's all that comes to mind right now but maybe you can add to this list. As far as I know the Spyder is the first road machine that BRP has made and maybe they could use a little input from us as to what would make a great product just about perfect.
    How bout an air horn to warn the cagers that you are in the spot they seem to think they can have!! and the rest of this that Lamont said.

Spyder Garage

Default WANTS

I think the wring system for added factory stuff should be in place, but if they add everythhing,everybody wants, the price would go out of sight.
    I would like more range.
    The other big thing I want is some decent weather. I only have a few hundred mile on the Spyder since the new year started. I hate rain and snow, although I ride in both to some extent.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default xm

Quote Originally Posted by Brevet05 View Post
    One more: The 12v outlet is hot all the time. Given that I have my XM rig plugged in there, it's only going to take one time forgetting to unplug the charger between rides to potentially drain the battery. Having an option or 2nd keyed outlet there would be useful.
    How do you have you xm hooked up? I was thinking of doing the same thing with with mine.

Spyder Garage

I've scanned this thread but I haven' read every post, so I may be repeating something already suggested:
    A native cel phone conection to the intercom system would be nice. Other systems have it. BRP should be able to add it as well.
    Just my $0.02. But if you take into account inflation.................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Scared

I just purchased a 2011 RT and will be picking it up tomorrow for my first ride. Reading all these things you all have said that is not so great about the RT is really scaring me to death. Have I made a mistake. I traded in my RS

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lawawuu View Post
    I just purchased a 2011 RT and will be picking it up tomorrow for my first ride. Reading all these things you all have said that is not so great about the RT is really scaring me to death. Have I made a mistake. I traded in my RS
    The vast majority of the RT ryders on this site have not had issues and are not vocal about being happy. Everyone that I know that went from AN RS to an RT has been very pleased.

The other Scotty

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No, you have not made a mistake. It is a great riding machine.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Wink

You can only know yourself if you made a mistake. That said...

Good Lord no! This no different than anything in life. We always want more. And if we had a magic wand things would get changed. That by no means makes these an issue.

Not only that, but they did improve on a few of these as well. Some we can do on our own, and some we may not ever see on a Spyder. But it is fun to add to the list in hopes of BRP seeing one of your own ideas or another members idea(s) and seeing it happen!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Most of these are not things wrong with the RT, just suggestions for future improvements. There is no harm in making them, and no reason to worry that they don't exist. There was the same kind of list made for the GS when it appeared, and many of those suggestions ended up in factory accessories and improvements. They might also have influenced the introduction of the RT. This list has borne fruit, too. Some of these items were already addressed for 2011, and there are some new accessories for that model, too. You enjoyed your RS, and you will enjoy your RT. Stop worrying!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

IMO your are not making a mistake. we took delivery of our new RT SE5 about 6 weeks ago and the only complaint we have is with Mother Nature, we havent had much really nice weather. The only other problem that I fore see is that my wife is hinting that see want to learn to ride it by herself.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good for Tuck's wife!!

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I can pretty much assure there will be very little changes if any on the 2011 RT. You can wait forever for the "best" product to come out but at some point you got to take the leap because there will always be something better down the road.
    I still have my '08 RS I like it so much I hate to part with it to get an R/T which I LOVE. I was thinking about next Summer. Maybe I should hang on another year? I do lots of touring on the RS, although I only have around 60,000km (~40,000 miles). If there are still a few bugs to tweek another year won't hurt I guess. I went through the tweeking process with the RS. a bit of an inconvenience, but I have to say the BRP guys did the upgrades very well IMO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would like to see an external XM radio antenna. My antenna, installed by my dealer, is somewhat directional and cuts out at times. I have a factory installation in my truck with an external antenna and it never cuts out. It could be mounted on top of the trunk lid vs. inside the lid.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd like a bigger engine ( old or new Vmax ), maybe leaning, more power, bigger gas tank, more readable dashboard, more power, 1/4 turn throttle, more power and if I really want dream.... Front wheel drive or better AWD! And: more power!
    By the way who is making this smaller windshield shown earlier ?
    Philippe

Spyder Garage

This thread ROCKS!! I am so happy I found these Spyder forums because reading everyone's posts has been way more informative than reading the manual; just like "real life experience" counts for more in the end than "book smarts". Thank you, everyone!!

Spyder Garage

Wink

I may be off my rocker. But I would like to suggest a few changes to the RS models, or at least the RS-S model...

1. An axillary 12v fuse panel under the front cover (Right under the Headlights and Frunk lid). This way we can tap in without causing VSS or what have you issues. Even if they will only have 15amps per fuse max (Corrected)... At least we can plug in our aftermarket toys/jackets/gloves/etc.
    2. A bit larger or redesigned E-Brake pedal. I literally have to stand up on the bike to engage the E-Brake. I have size 12 boots, and gear on (Winter time) and I fumble around or cannot get enough boot on it to engage/disengage it effectively and consistently in the seated position.
    3. The top most Tupperware that goes from the seat to underneath the handlebars... either has to much flexibility or something else does. Because I am consistently having to work the tabs in the center top sides off my beautiful paint job, and back behind the two side panels where it belongs... I cannot get but 20 miles down the road and the tabs (One on each side) have worked their way back to the outside and on my paint .
    4. Color LCD screen and selectable option of what I want to have on it (oil/voltage/miles/trip/etc... I mean... Do I need to go any father on this one? Really?
    5. Shocks need a bit of re-valving or the Anti-Sway bar needs to be stronger. I love the comfortable straight-line bump absorbing setup, but hate the "Rolling" in turns of any distance. Then once we crank up the spring rate... the straight-line comfort goes away. This bike is a lot more fun when it "feels" like it is cutting into a turn than it does feeling like it wants to roll out of it. Yes countless aftermarket items are available. I am just saying it would be a good idea to look into it like you did the RT. In fact... Just put the 2010 RT shocks under the RS-S's and we can call it good .

And now for some off the wall thoughts with no merit, just like to see...

1. The Nose design is long on the tooth... Time for a change.
    2. HID's should be standard...
    3. More handlebar position options that include mounting points for toys.
    4. RS-S should include Frunk liner, Radio, and Hand Warmers like the RT-S does.
    5. New sexy colors like you have the past two years are fantastic ... How about Candy Apple Red, or Black Cherry, or even Gold flaked Metallic Brown?

Anyway.. just wanted to get that out of my head as it has been bouncing around for a while now...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Smile

For the RT I do have a few ideas now as well...

• Adjustable front pegs (Adjustable similar to the passenger type adjustment).
    • Better Hot Air management from the Radiator.
    • Better Exhaust Donuts (Gaskets)
    • The left side trunk to have the same depth as the Right so a full sized full face helmet (Small to XL) will fit like it does on the right side
    • LED Lighting with an on off switch for the trunk
    • A rear Rack option mounted on the trunk.
    • Stronger duty Sway Bar.
    • Fuse block/panel pre-wired and mounted up front under the little black plastic cover under the front lid, for accessories

Very pleased with our RT-S.. Just some thoughts on a few inexpensive potential improvements...

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Smile Options

Wow. there are lots of great ideas out there!! I went from a GS to a RT and love my RT but would only think of trading it for a Spyder that is different then mine, meaning a better Engine and some form of adjustable front end to help keep it up in the turns. My Elkas are a Godsend !!!!! They have transformed my RT into a much better ride !!. I know they have improved the 2011 shocks but they are no match for the Elkas. Did I say a BIGGER multi cylinder ENGINE ?? !!!! Well just incase I didn't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Squealing brakes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    AUX Input Jack in the front dash area.

Fuel Economy is much less than it should be. My brother's '08 Goldwing with CSC Trike kit gets about 10 mpg better than my RT.

Intercom as Standard Equipment. The installation requirements for these is beyond belief. A harness should already be in place to add the CB & XM without having to pull the rear saddlebag & trunk assembly off.

AND BRAKES THAT DON'T SQUEAL! I hate sounding like a junk truck when I step on the brakes.

Plus everything Lamont said already...

You know when I bought my Outlander 400 XT ATV from Bombardier the brakes started squealing the very first day on the trail. I trailered it all the way back to dealer and they told me all Bombs squealed on and off, nothing could be done. Well, I changed to a different brake material that Bombardier does not offer and the noise stopped. Four years later here we are dealing with Can-am and they STILL have done nothing about it....that is shameful because they know they have this problem with their brakes, it is not anything new to them.
    They also knew about the heat on the legs and feet back then also.
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Add one more to my list...faster response rate for the cruise control. It varies far too much on anything but dead level ground.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-06-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

ive only had my bike 5 weeks and love it
    but had trouble when i 1st got it with the foot pedal shaking
    i could fill it all the way up after the sevice at 600 miles its gone
    and im getting 6 more mpg
    what id like to see is the bike have better lights and be set up at the start like it is after the sevice

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Add E-brake beep when engaging first or reverse

Make it so when you put the bike in first or reverse with the e brake engaged it beeps, just like it beeps when you shut it off without engaging it. I think all of the necessary elements are there- beeper, gear indicator, engine on/off power to the beeper, so all they have to do is wire it to beep if you try to drive off with the brake on.