Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I might add that while I understand the preferences for other changes that were listed previously, I disagree with some. Seats are such a personal thing that I feel differences should be left in the hands of experienced aftermarket suppliers like Corbin and Russell Day-Long. What fits one well will not fit another, and the stock seat is the most comfortable I ever rode, yet may be less adequate to other riders. I also prefer the side loading bags and integral topcase. I would not have considered this purchase if these had not been available. I also would not have found driver footboards, a heel-toe shifter, or more forward foot position acceptable. If these are desirable to others, I would prefer to see a "cruiser" model released. This was designed as a touring machine, and fits that mold well, ergonomically.
    I absolutely agree with everything Scotty says here. These things are largely personal preference and might be better served by after market suppliers or by another Spyder model.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    14. Improved rider heated grips. Either increase output or delete the option altogether. Also change the control to work conventionally, like the rider control.
    Scotty, were you talking about the rider's heated grips or passenger's heated grips? I believe the rider's heated grips are more than hot enough, but the passenger's heated grips are pretty feeble.

Thanks,
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Wanted to add one more item....

I very well could be lacking in information.... But I have to say.... The amount of time it takes to remove the paneling necessary to do regular maintenance on these is excessive. My concern is folks will end up putting off the needed maintenance. Wither it be from the cost of the dealer or time it takes an individual to get it done.

This could have a negative impact on the re-sale value....

And lets be honest.... These or not bikes made for teenagers or cost $5-10k a piece. These are the Cadillac of the open wheel road...

In my past... I have torn down and built back up (seals - mounts and all) about five vehicles, from jeeps to trucks...

And to be frank.... The amount of time it takes to properly remove all the panels to do even just a quick look through before a trip, is to long.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post

I very well could be lacking in information.... But I have to say.... The amount of time it takes to remove the paneling necessary to do regular maintenance on these is excessive. My concern is folks will end up putting off the needed maintenance. Wither it be from the cost of the dealer or time it takes an individual to get it done.

And lets be honest.... These or not bikes made for teenagers or cost $5-10k a piece. These are the Cadillac of the open wheel road...

In my past... I have torn down and built back up (seals - mounts and all) about five vehicles, from jeeps to trucks...

And to be frank.... The amount of time it takes to properly remove all the panels to do even just a quick look through before a trip, is to long.
    How long would you say it takes to remove the panels for inspection? What are you looking to inspect?

The reason I ask is I've had all the panels off many times and I can get them off faster than I can on my RS. I may do a video of it just to show how long it takes.

One thing you can do after your first oil change is leave the splash pan off the bottom. This way you can do an oil change without needing any tools to remove the panels, just pop off the left side panel.

Spyder Garage

You should get more efficient with it each time you do it. The panel arrangement on this bike from a maintenance stand point is fairy good in my opinion.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Great idea on the pan! We like checking the air-filter before a long trip for example... Checking the oil is a snap

I bring this up as it is a personal concern... Especially when my dealer tells me their standard time is double what they anticipated and charge accordingly. For example... They are charging $250 for an oil change. Really!!!! They claim the time it take in labor is the issue. I am a do it your self kind of guy, so it is no big deal. But to many folks are not. That is the reason for my thoughts on it....
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 05-03-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Great idea on the pan! We like checking the air-filter before a long trip for example... Checking the oil is a snap
    I would rather check the air filter on a RT than a RS Neither of them are easy to get to but the RT is much better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Scotty, were you talking about the rider's heated grips or passenger's heated grips? I believe the rider's heated grips are more than hot enough, but the passenger's heated grips are pretty feeble.

Thanks,
    Sorry, my error in typing. Sometimes I think faster than these two fingers can keep up. I have corrected my post.

I see it the same way you do. The passenger grips are weak, possibly due to the thicker grips, and the continuously variable (rheostat-type) control is difficult to judge or turn to the desired setting. The front grips are actually too warm for me. I have to cycle them on and off...and have never used (or dared use) the high setting.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 05-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

Talking

After owning a Goldwing and needing 3 hours to do an air filter, the RT seems very easy to me.

V.

Spyder Garage

Well I guess I am the extreme minority in this case. I was only adding to what I feel personally. There are many wonderful Autos that had been a PITA to work on, and they did not last long.

In the fast paced world of today, I do not see that many folks taking the time and it will lead to lack of proper maintenance. Will the majority that use this forum do it regardless... Heck yes...

I am a small business owner, and lets just say that I think about half of the cars on the road today actually get serviced when they should be. The rest... well they end up in the shops eventually.

To me it is more about making things easy and safe. This encourages folks to not over look their responsibility, while getting more and more of these on the road.

After all... We bought ours to ride... Not spend three hours to change the oil or one hour to check the air-filter I will do it of course. But my honey do list is still a tall one. And an hour saved in one place is an hour spent on another project.

Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

Talking

There are many wonderful Autos that had been a PITA to work on, and they did not last long.

While I agree that the RT requires a bit of time to work on, it is nothing compared to the Honda Goldwing or Victory Vision. Even the average Sports bike is more labour intense. Anyone ever done a valve adjustment on a VStrom? Ouch!

The Goldwing has been around, in its current version, since 2001, and yet it stills sells well. The fact that plastic needs to be removed to work on something will not affect the RT's sales. Heck, Ford has been selling the Econoline for DECADES, yet, have you ever tried to do the back plugs on one of them?

The RT is near perfect. Here are my ideas:

Cruise Control: Perfect, don't change it.

Sound System: I'm pretty sure the production models have better speakers than the prototypes, the sound is great.

Windshield: No issues here. BRP could benefit by selling a longer/shorter version, as an accessory.

Storage: Awesome.

Factory Trailer: Near perfect, the carpeting needs better glue. Access and the way it trailers is great.

Seat: Very good. Factory backrest as an accessory would be nice.

Intercom: I have the Scala Cardo Teamset Bluetooth system and would NEVER go back to an old-fashioned wired system. Don't need it.

LCD display: Too much glare and too small.

Turn signal switch: Needs re-design. Too flimsy and cancel is hard to find.

Horn: Listen to the Goldwing's horn and make the RT the same.

Suspension: I have no issues here. For a factory setup, it's good.

Engine: Good design, great sound. Needs more power, but not much. 1100-1200cc's would be nice. More would be overkill.

Fuel range: Bigger tank or more efficient engine. Fix it.
    Passenger audio controls: Was it really necessary to let my wife change the track/song?!
    Heated seat: Not needed. The RT has enough wind protection.

Heated Grips: Good.

iPod integration: Works well, but you should have a spot to put the iPod in the trunk. I use Velcro tape, but shouldn't have to.

12V outlet: Another outlet in the front fairing is needed.

Magneto: Put in a real alternator. 1000w minimum.

Belt drive: Perfect.

Lights: No problems here. HID's as standard equipment is a personal preference and shouldn't be OEM.

SE5: By far, one the best features of the Spyders.

VSS/ABS/Traction Control nanny: No changes required.

DPS: Works well on mine.

Lockable glove box: Should lock separately from steering.

Saddlebags/trunk: Should lock/unlock with key FOB.

TPMS: Should have one (Tire pressure monitoring system).

Brakes: A little spongy, but they work ok. Love the pedal. Don't need handbrake. One less hydraulic line to worry about.

Fly by wire: FINALLY! After 21 years of lubing/changing cables for brakes and throttles, yay!

Lighted controls at night: Well done!

Colour: Blue is the fastest! More colour choices would be nice.

Frunk Light: Good idea, now make it brighter.

Included cover: Great! Nobody else gives you a cover. No complaints here.

Last edited by Vordak; 05-04-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo

Spyder Garage

Great ideas keep them coming. I just want to say that my list is just that, you don't have to agree or disagree with my list, just create your own list like many of you have. I'm sure future RT's will have some of what everyone is asking for and the more the same need or issue comes up the more likely the engineers will take a hard look at it. It's a given that the aftermarket will fill some of these needs but a bigger motor, better range and better storage will have to be done at the factory as the return on investment will be too great for the aftermarket to go after these things.

Spyder Garage

Added a couple more to my list.

• More power on take off.
      This thing is a dog on take off, you give it throttle and nothing happens till the computer is happy. They really need to at least give us the same throttle response as the RS
    • Bluetooth interface.
      Everything is wireless now days so why have a cord to tether us to the RT? At least make Bluetooth a option.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RT

I waited to purshase the RT, I test drove it and loved it and so did my wife. I thought, give it a year or so for improvements, the thing I'm concerned about is how much is the cost going to go up with all these production line improvements. I agree with most of the improvements that have been stated, I saw some of those things when I test drove the bike. Hope BRP can do these without killing the pocket book. I think it's priced at a good range, just would hate to see it get into the 30+ range. before tax and tags. I think the Spyders are awesome and my 2008 had some issues, but it just keeps getting better. Thanks for everyone on this site for their thoughts and ideas, you've helped me a lot. Thanks Lamont for everything you do for this great site.

Spyder Garage

I like most would like more performance and better brakes. Suspension would be nice too but then you're talking big $$$. Ducati makes some high end models with upgraded Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes and it's usually a big difference in price. It would be nice if they made a hyper sport model with better power, suspension and brakes but I don't see that happening. The question I have is that if they came out with a bike that had everything we wanted, wanted you get bored having nothing to mod? LOL

Spyder Garage

I would echo a lot of the suggestions already mentioned, but specifically the things that "bug" me are as follows:

• Why no backrest on a 20K plus touring bike? It should at least be an option.
    • The turn signal switch needs a stronger centering spring, you really have to make sure you push "straight in" when you cancel.
    • Get rid of the darn "rattle" in the windsheild, there is too much of a gap between the pivot arms and the mating clevis on the backside of the windsheild arms.
    • The stock windsheild should at least be offered with a "TRUE" scratch resistant coating, again, at least make this an option!
    • Why does the passenger have a nice floorboard but the driver doesn't? Get rid of the weighted foot pegs and replace them with floorboards, the RT is way more comfortable than the RS, but floorboards should be standard on any true "touring" bike/roadster.

Spyder Garage

I'll say the same as some of the others have said here

Higher Electrical Capacity for electric vests, gloves, etc.

An outlet in the front. I added one to the Frunk which is switched.

More Range. In case I was too subtle let me say it again. MORE RANGE, either better MPG or a bigger tank. Obviously better mileage would cost the user less money to operate. Especially when using the bike as a daily commuter. Here in the Northeast, a 120 mile range means you have to get gas every day, or at best every other day. Was I unclear? The RT need MORE RANGE.

Sixth Gear A sixth gear would be nice, but barring that, if the existing gears could be respaced so that 5th gear puts you at a lower RPM on the highway, that would be fine. As it is, when accelerating onto the highway, i often skip 2nd entirely. 1st gets me up past 45 mph at which point 3rd works quite well. There is so little difference between 4th and 5th right now, that I have occassionally found myself tooling along at 55 mph in 4th without knowing it.

Longer Service Intervals. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING is going to longer service intervals now. My 1993 ST was 5500 miles. With electronic ignition, fuel injection and the better class of oils available, changing the oil at 3,000 mile intervals at $180.00 each time is ridiculous. This could easily cost $540 each year or more, just to change the oil. After it's off warranty, I'll do the oil changes myself, but if I get the BRP supplies, thats $70 each oil change, still a hefty amount.

Just my opininion. As usual, my electronic post isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT thoughts

More range:

I have been trying to fit an auxilliary fuel tank onto the RT. Tried 3 different readily available 2-3 gallon sizes. Nothing fits anywhere unless I want to have less than 2 gallons and take up the whole front trunk--bad tradeoff!!! Worked with Fuelsafe (we are one of their Racing distributors) on custom fuel cell--it would end up at $1500+ to add a custom fuel cell and plumbing to one of the side cases --or even the front trunk. So--I am just going to carry 2 gallons extra when I pull my trailer. I already mounted the fuel container on the trailer and will only use it in an emergency.

Easier Trailer wiring:

I had to buy a harness )$100+) and do my own custom wiring to get my Leesurlite pop-up wired . Needs to be an adapter available with bike.

Lower first gear:

need lower first gear to help get the thing going!!

Sixth gear:

better spacing of ratios using 6 gears would solve first gear issues and highway cruising. I suspect that they use a 5 speed because in the space available the gears would not be 'stout' enough if there were 6 instead of 5. (I know there is a reverse that is a 6th gear--but there needs to be 6 plus a reverse!)

More useable storage while riding (sunglasses, bluetooth phone, drink, gum,change, etc ):

It looks to be almost impossible to add a useful tank bag due to the nature of the steering/body relationship (need lots of open room near the handlebars). We make a lot of tank bags (Marsee) and I have not found one we make that will fit (except the 1.5 L which is to small for what is needed)

Seat:

I have never had a stock seat work for me and I agree with others that seats are too personal to expect a factory seat to fit everybody. Corbin has the seat that works for me on the RT.

Brakes and suspension:

Brakes are not up to what is needed/expected for this weight vehicle. I would think that since there are three wheels available for braking that this would be way better than it is. I would not expect to need to go to aftermarket shocks until the stock ones were worn---but the RT has me thinking of aftermarket shocks sooner rather than later. Stock brakes and shocks should be better on this class/price bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'll say the same as some of the others have said here
    -----------------------

More Range. In case I was too subtle let me say it again. MORE RANGE, either better MPG or a bigger tank. Obviously better mileage would cost the user less money to operate. Especially when using the bike as a daily commuter. Here in the Northeast, a 120 mile range means you have to get gas every day, or at best every other day. Was I unclear? The RT need MORE RANGE.
    ---------------------
    Just my opininion. As usual, my electronic post isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
    My daily commute is 65 miles one way. I gas at 7 am , and at 5 pm everyday. Yeah it gets old fast. MORE RANGE
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sport touring

Maybe this isnt the right place but I like to bring it up becasue I really think that BRP is missing the main segment of their market. My phantom is great, I love it, but if I am gonna tour it I need to spend about 4000 bucks to adeqautely set it up. The RT is a great bike but not for me. I am not ALLL about comfort and touring either. I am a 40's something married guy who likes the sporty feel of the RS and wants to spend some serious time driving the thing. I have said it before as well that the Road King in HD was the best and most popular bike they came up with in 50 years marketing wise. And so I say we need the "inbetween bike". Thats what I want. I want something that easily converts from sport to touring ie a sport/touring machine because truthfully they dont have this. Before someone says well the RT is plenty sport etc or the RS can be fitted to tour I would say that neither of them do the other very well from the factory.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

I have one more off the wall item to add.... Volvo and a few other car companies let you visit the assembly plant, and even help with the airfare...

How cool would it be if BRP offered something special for Spyder purchasers??
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

I have one more off the wall item to add.... Volvo and a few other car companies let you visit the assembly plant, and even help with the airfare...

How cool would it be if BRP offered something special for Spyder purchasers??
    The original homecoming in Valcourt included a trip into the plant on the assembly line. That was special!
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I love the look of the front of the RT but hate the look of the rear so......

I want the front end of the RT and the rear and the go fast of the RS maybe in 2012.....I can only dream.
    HAPPY FORMER OWNER of 2008 PE 3016

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wcc002 View Post
    Definitely like Dave said, Pre-wired for all BRP accessories. If an accessory needs a component, include it without all of us having to guess- do we need to order this part, is it included in the box, is it already installed on the bike?...
    Why when you order the CB/Communications system would you also have to purchase more items just to put it in to work. I mean come-on ordering the system should be the whole system not just parts.
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

Spyder Garage

Default Panel removal...

I totally agree with Lamont.. and we haven't had our two RT's that long. I have had them totally un-cowled twice each. CB, GPS & XM installations.. After the first time I think it was rather easy. A bit time consuming but easy. Considering the cowling it so streamlined, futuristic, and very tight fitting.. Len

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    How long would you say it takes to remove the panels for inspection? What are you looking to inspect?

The reason I ask is I've had all the panels off many times and I can get them off faster than I can on my RS. I may do a video of it just to show how long it takes.

One thing you can do after your first oil change is leave the splash pan off the bottom. This way you can do an oil change without needing any tools to remove the panels, just pop off the left side panel.
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"