Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield cleaner?

What is the best thing for cleaning my RT-S windshield without harming it? Thanks in advance.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If your lookin for just a polish up, I use pledge. If you wanna get the infamous TX lovebugs off, dampen a dryer softener sheet and lightly rub with it (very wet) til they dissolve. Mind you this will look very messy/milky, but washes right off with water or a lil soapy water. Best thing Ive found yet for them nasty critters.

Spyder Garage

Lemon Pledge

Spyder Garage

I prefer to lay a wet terrycloth towel on windshields first, to soften the bugs. The other side (or another wet towel) will clean off the residue. Most of the time, I use Windex Multi-purpose Cleaner with ammonia for the final cleaning...or for lightly soild windshields. Do not use regular Windex with vinegar, it will craze the shield in time. Products made specifically for plastic, like Plexus, work very well, too. Just try to get off the majority of bugs before you rub much.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lemon Pledge

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I prefer to lay a wet terrycloth towel on windshields first, to soften the bugs. The other side (or another wet towel) will clean off the residue.
    I agree. I use Plexus occasionally but seldom use anything but water. You'll be surprised how easy the bugs come off after soaking under the wet towel for a couple of minutes.

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use something called work site,it is a cleaner and polisher,I used it for years being on the fire department on our emergency light lens and I been using it now for about a year on my windsheild works great. I used to get it at a website called galls.com but they don't sell it anymore I have two bottles left and have been looking around for more but no luck yet will have to call the manufacture I think.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I prefer to lay a wet terrycloth towel on windshields first, to soften the bugs. The other side (or another wet towel) will clean off the residue. Most of the time, I use Windex Multi-purpose Cleaner with ammonia for the final cleaning...or for lightly soild windshields. Do not use regular Windex with vinegar, it will craze the shield in time. Products made specifically for plastic, like Plexus, work very well, too. Just try to get off the majority of bugs before you rub much.
    I agree with Scotty here except every few weeks I use a polish called "MAAS". Use it on my Harley windshield, plexiglas headlight covers on my Mustang, even use it on chrome, paint, and just about anything that needs polishing. Found it by accident at Walgreens one day and have never used anything other since. You can also check out their website at: www.metalbrite.net. Great stuff!!
    Last edited by rider2554; 04-28-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: wrong web address

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On page 134 of the manual it states:

"Do not polish windshield with any plastic cleaner/polish"

So is the only cleaner plain water?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I agree. I use Plexus occasionally but seldom use anything but water. You'll be surprised how easy the bugs come off after soaking under the wet towel for a couple of minutes.

Cotton
    good stuff same stuff they use I think in the Stealth Bombers. a lot of mc shops carry it now

also kawi shops have a plastic cleaner seems like Plexus but cheaper...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzzz View Post
    On page 134 of the manual it states:

"Do not polish windshield with any plastic cleaner/polish"

So is the only cleaner plain water?
    The reason it says that is that most plastic polishes and cleaners contain fine abrasives. They will scratch your windshield...or at very least remove the hard, protective coating. There are exceptions...the polishes made for acrylic aircraft windshields, like the one from Cee Bailey's, will work. If you rub the product between your fingers and it feels sticky or gritty...do not use it!

I have used Windex Multi-purpose with vinegar successfully for many years. Do not use regular Windex, or other products with ammonia, they will damage the windshield in time! Frankly water works OK, but it may take longer. Laying a wet towel on the windshield for a while, to soften the bugs and crud, does wonders. When things have softened up, use clean rags/towels, starting with wet ones, and more water, to clean things up. A microfiber cloth works well for the final drying, once clean. If you wipe the windshield up and down, and never sideways or in a circular motion, the inevitable scratches will not show or glare as much.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

heres the link for Plexus
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/plastic-cle...Baeysc9JRuuPcn

definitely

Spyder Garage

Plexus works awesome but somewhat pricey!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    good stuff same stuff they use I think in the Stealth Bombers. a lot of mc shops carry it now

also kawi shops have a plastic cleaner seems like Plexus but cheaper...
    Place a wet towel over windshield for a few min. to soften the spots up, wipe off with damp sponge and or mild soap sol. then the Plexus. The Plexus will fill in most scratches.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

I found plexus earlier this year and I'm planning on using it. I've never seen anything remove dried off bugs so quickly and easily......it's instantaneous. Great stuff and worth the price IMHO. I use to wonder about the manual too but after 2 or 3 months of use plexus doesn't appear to be affecting my windshield at all. When I bought my bike I was given the mystery bottle of blue stuff and a cloth. What the heck is the blue stuff? They don't sell refills. That would be a good one to have on those TV commercials for the "slapchopper". They work well too. Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by skypup; 09-01-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: sp

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I do the soaked microfiber towel trick to get the bug goo off then Plexus for the final cleaning

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I"ve used bug-b-gone on my windshields for years works great. spray on set for 30 sec wash with water. I"ve used it on every surface and had no issues on any of them. got at my wife's NAPA store.

Spyder Garage

I do the wet towel thing for removing the bugs and other baked on stuff.

I found the Honda spray polish works great on everything. Not only does it clean and shine up everything, but it also lays down a thin layer of something like armor all, so the next layer of dirt doesn't stick, making it easier to clean up next time. It's made by Honda for all plastic surfaces so I can use it on all the tupperware and the windshield without any damage.
    Two caveats when using the stuff:
    1) After applying the polish, be careful if you want to double stick tape something to the plastic, like a garage door opener, or even a decal. It won't stick very well until you remove the protective layer by rubbing with alcohol.
    2) DON'T use it on the seat or you'll be slip-sliding all over the place.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I use the wet towel method, too. It's great for getting those baked on bugs off the windshield. Then I use a polish by Novus. Think I got it at a Harley shop. Puts a nice polish on the windshield and is really effective at helping it shed water in the rain.
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default cleaner

i have used plexus on every bike wind shield i have ever had, never had any problem with it, you can also use it on the body of the bike too makes it look good

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mainespyder View Post
    I"ve used bug-b-gone on my windshields for years works great. spray on set for 30 sec wash with water. I"ve used it on every surface and had no issues on any of them. got at my wife's NAPA store.
    I wouldnt use it unless its tar then I would wash and wax

bug be gone is like a weak gasoline solution... or at least it used to be. i would think that would be harsh on the windscreen or plastic long term.

I still say Plexus or any of the other mfg *honda, Kawaii, harley** ect make plastic cleaners. they work on the windscreen and the plastic body work of the Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Clueless, Been useing it for about 9 yrs on my Yamaha windshield once a wk and had no issues. Maybe they changed dont know for sure.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Plexus. We have been using it on police motors for about a decade without any harm to the windshield. It works great on paint and chrome too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I found the Honda spray polish works great on everything. Not only does it clean and shine up everything, but it also lays down a thin layer of something like armor all, so the next layer of dirt doesn't stick, making it easier to clean up next time. It's made by Honda for all plastic surfaces so I can use it on all the tupperware and the windshield without any damage.
    Two caveats when using the stuff:
    1) After applying the polish, be careful if you want to double stick tape something to the plastic, like a garage door opener, or even a decal. It won't stick very well until you remove the protective layer by rubbing with alcohol.
    2) DON'T use it on the seat or you'll be slip-sliding all over the place.
    This is exactly what I use and it works very well!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    If your lookin for just a polish up, I use pledge. If you wanna get the infamous TX lovebugs off, dampen a dryer softener sheet and lightly rub with it (very wet) til they dissolve. Mind you this will look very messy/milky, but washes right off with water or a lil soapy water. Best thing Ive found yet for them nasty critters.
    I use Plexus on all my bikes I find it helps in the rain(water beads) stops fogging up and is a good general cleaner.
    My will reads "being of sound mind and body,
    I spent it, go make your own!"

VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER.