Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quieter Muffler

Spyder Garage

Default Quieter Muffler

Okay everyone, here is a new twist on an old question. I would love to have a quieter muffler but I hate the look of the stock muffler. After my ride home with pipes that would make a Harley blush, I decided I would like to tone it down. By the way, no more loud or heat and all was covered under warranty. So back to my question, I would like to know if anyone knows of aftermarket pipes about the same as the stock sound but not so darned ugly. Baja Ron suggested the Yoshi with the cone, said he believes it is quieter than the Hindle and he likes it. So I am open to your suggestions. Thanks
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Okay everyone, here is a new twist on an old question. I would love to have a quieter muffler but I hate the look of the stock muffler. After my ride home with pipes that would make a Harley blush, I decided I would like to tone it down. By the way, no more loud or heat and all was covered under warranty. So back to my question, I would like to know if anyone knows of aftermarket pipes about the same as the stock sound but not so darned ugly. Baja Ron suggested the Yoshi with the cone, said he believes it is quieter than the Hindle and he likes it. So I am open to your suggestions. Thanks
    I am not sure anything is quieter (or uglier) than the stock pipe. But if you're looking for quieter (or about the same) as a new Hindle there are probably several possibilities.

The Warrior conversion is a great sounding, quiet pipe. A bit large but you can probably come up with one (Black or Chrome) for not too much. I think they last forever.

I've been surprised at how well my Yoshi has held up. I think I've got around 10k on it (maybe more) and it doesn't sound any louder now than it did.

I am surprised the HMF is as loud as it is otherwise I think that could be a possibility. I'm going to check and see if they make a quiet tip for that.

Glad both of you made it home on your new motors. Hope to see you again! I'm really wanting to do some "Performance Testing"!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

How about this one?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Okay-- all joking aside..... so the Hindle is too loud for you now?

You do wear ear protection while riding --- right?

I can't stand the look of the stock pipe--- really like the Hindle... which I know you already have.

The RT pipe looks pretty good and doesn't sound too bad. No Cat Converter in it and I'm sure it would take some rigging to hook it up-- but it wouldn't look too bad IMO.

I wonder if a tip could be modded to fit the Hindle you already have?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear I am not the only one !
    It would be nice if we could find something quieter - no one wants to follow me when we ride

I will follow this thread closely

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !

Spyder Garage

how about this one sidekick performance tripple outlet

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default make a dual header and...

install a pair of touring motorcycle mufflers on it. I installed a pair of GL1800 mufflers on my SM5 and it is as quiet as stock and sounds much better. Almost forgot about the performance inprovement without it leaning out and nosing over.

The only thing you have to decide on is how to make a trim heat shield on the top for the length of the muffler. I'm still trying to decide how I want to make that shield. /Ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    install a pair of touring motorcycle mufflers on it. I installed a pair of GL1800 mufflers on my SM5 and it is as quiet as stock and sounds much better. Almost forgot about the performance inprovement without it leaning out and nosing over.
    Are there pictures somewhere of this setup?
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

The only thing you have to decide on is how to make a trim heat shield on the top for the length of the muffler. I'm still trying to decide how I want to make that shield. /Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    Are there pictures somewhere of this setup?
    I too would be interested in photos, that is an idea. How hard is it though?

Spyder Garage

Default here is the thread for the dual header...

It isn't to difficult but it is time consuming and a little expensive because you should do it in stainless and you have to do all the bends with 90s to get the angles. The biggest problem is you need a argon welder to get the welds right. Fortunately for me I have a friend that has a nice argon rid that I can use. I put a cross over on mine so the O2 sensor would be checking the mixture on both cylinders. I have found that I have increased power without the lean out and nose over that some are experiencing with other mufflers when they add the high performance air filter.

Pictures are on this link.... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...muffler+header

My only disappointment is I haven't been able to decide on that top full length heat shield. Any and all suggestions for this item would be appreciated. You can also find additional threads by searching dual muffler headers. ATADude has a great one posted too. That is where I got the courage to tackle this project. /Ken
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, Deb, you are welcome to my BRP stock pipe which has about 50 miles on it.

Been garaged since 2008.

I will be happy to paint "Yoshi" on it in high-temp paint, so then it will look and perform exactly like Ron's...

Spyder Garage

Deb, I MAY have what you are looking for. I will call you later today.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Deb, I MAY have what you are looking for. I will call you later today.

Oh, sure--thanks, Rando.

Make us look bad by being helpful...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    Oh, sure--thanks, Rando.

Make us look bad by being helpful...
    How much do you want for your stock one?

Spyder Garage

...ATADude has a great one posted too. That is where I got the courage to tackle this project. /Ken
    Mr. Muffler, here. You rang?

My thread is here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5753

You may have to read through a bunch of stuff which may not be of interest to you, though.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the Leo Vince CF and with the baffle in it sounds great but not too loud. Baffle out and it is another story!! My wife rode it for the first time last week and I was behind her on another bike. Not obnoxious at all and I think it looks very clean.

Spyder Garage

Deb I am in the same boat you are. I love the look of my 2 brothers pipe - I love the way it slants up instead of laying almost flat like the stock and others I have seen but it's really really loud. I want to quiet down so I can hear my new Cranker Tank Bag that I got. Roaddog was kind enough to give me his Hindle before he sold his Spyder so I'll probably go with that. I don't want to put any more money into the Spyder. Just want to hear some tunes. I have a powertip in the pipe now but it doesn't quiet it down all that much.

I can get the padding for it but I don't know how it will hold up trying to put it back together after packing it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    Well, Deb, you are welcome to my BRP stock pipe which has about 50 miles on it.

Been garaged since 2008.

I will be happy to paint "Yoshi" on it in high-temp paint, so then it will look and perform exactly like Ron's...
    Thanks for the offer but I still have my stock muffler sitting around, I just think it is UGLY!! and don't want to put it back if I don't have to.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I thought I read in a thread where someone stuffed a stainless steel pot scrubber in thier Hindle to tone it down.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Found it, it was KRB. But he did it for back pressure, not noise.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...steel+scrubber

Spyder Garage

Deb - the Hindle probably needs to be repacked. However, they sure didn't make it easy to repack it with the rivets.

If you decide to repack, there is stainless steel wool/packing available at least on eBay. Bought some last year to repack the SuperTrapps. Works well and lasts a long time!

There're also ceramic "blankets" available for repacking... but I preferred the stainless.

Best of luck.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default The stainless scrubber...

gave it a little back pressure and it also changed the tone of the muffler a weeee bit. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was still to loud for my antique ears. /Ken krb1945
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

I hear if you soak your stock muffler in Slim-Fast for a couple of months, it looks just like the Hindle.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default I love it...

Scotty that is the best one I've seen lately. Have a great weekend. /Ken
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I hear if you soak your stock muffler in Slim-Fast for a couple of months, it looks just like the Hindle.
    that was funny! I still have my stock too - I refuse to put it back on compared to all the other pipes out there. Plus it is really heavy too.