Thread: Handlebar/Cover

Spyder Garage

Default Handlebar/Cover

Want to remove the handlebar/cover to powder coat. What parts need to be removed to gain access to the 4 small screws that secure the under cover?

Spyder Garage

No parts need to be removed, but you will need the right tools to reach in from underneath, in the small, tight holes. Thinwall, extra deep, 1/4-drive sockets, as I recall, but it might have been standard thinwall sockets. Be sure and stuff rags around the steering, so no screws fall into the "black hole". You might want to study up on a couple of appropriate cuss words, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I am needing to know for the RT?

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to which forum this was posted in. Much more difficult for the RT, since it is not a handlebar cover, but part of the handlebar assembly. You would have to remove the bottom covers, the heated grips, the handlebars tubes, and then the handlebar itself (which you call a cover. Careful masking would be necessary to allow reassembly. See the link to the parts fiche on the home page here or in the BRP Owner Center for more detail.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, I think I will put this off for another time. I have all the bottom off and thought that I would do the handlebars as well. I will just keep it to the bottom and windshield for now.