Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Angry steering--spline slip?

Forgive the ignorant steering question, but I couldn't find much posted about it here in the last two years:

After installing my new seat last night, I hop on the Spyder, of course.

I notice a slight play in the steering, sitting still, engine off.
    Only a few degrees, like Duckster wrote in a post two years ago. In my mind it's as if it's slipping past a worn spline.

With the recent DPS replacement, would the techs at the dealer have had to do any adjustment up top? I would think they would've noticed it when they got on board and did the test ride...

Anyone else have this issue?

(I am a bit reluctant to test drive the new seat right now. Nice day, too.)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

(Update)

Before I tear anything apart, is the issue with part#12 (elastic locking nut) not being torqued down enough? Now that I look at it, I hope it's not part#28 at the arm.

Spyder Garage

Check for play in the ball joints at the ends of the tie-rod.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    Check for play in the ball joints at the ends of the tie-rod.
    Ball joints and tie-rod ends are the most common sources of play. There are several splined connections in the steering, but they seldom wear if correctly installed. If the dealer failed to align the splines or tighten the retainer when your box was replaced, that could be a source, however. Don't ride with play in the steering...nothing good can come of it! If the dealer created the problem, he needs to resolve it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When I had my 08 RS, I put on the BRP 1"riser. I torqued down that same nylon nut you mention. BUT when we put on the Helibars on a few months later, we noticed that that same nut would not stop turning. The threads on the #6 probably got stripped.

Sounds almost the same as yours.
    Last edited by Sopher; 04-11-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

I'll check mine tomorrow after work. I never pay attention when it's off but this post caught my attention cuz when I was sitting at a light today on the way home I was wiggling the bars and there was slight play but the bike was obviously on. I can't remember if it was like that w/ the old DPS or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    Forgive the ignorant steering question, but I couldn't find much posted about it here in the last two years:

After installing my new seat last night, I hop on the Spyder, of course.

I notice a slight play in the steering, sitting still, engine off.
    Only a few degrees, like Duckster wrote in a post two years ago. In my mind it's as if it's slipping past a worn spline.

With the recent DPS replacement, would the techs at the dealer have had to do any adjustment up top? I would think they would've noticed it when they got on board and did the test ride...

Anyone else have this issue?

(I am a bit reluctant to test drive the new seat right now. Nice day, too.)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, DragonSpyder, Scotty, Sopher, Kim.

I drove it after I posted, but it's not good.

And I do know I shouldn't treat the Spyder as if it will heal itself! I only have an about an hour trip to the dealer (which I know is closer than many folks), but then I have to tie up someone else for a ride home, and it's just a pain.

It's not like I noticed a headlight problem or somesuch after the DPS replacement...I kind of hoped that ALL things steering would be attended to during the last dealer visit.

Spyder Garage

So what did it do when you rode it after you posted? Was it acting up again like before? Nope not good. And I hope you have someone following you to the dealer?

Thanks, DragonSpyder, Scotty, Sopher, Kim.

I drove it after I posted, but it's not good.

And I do know I shouldn't treat the Spyder as if it will heal itself! I only have an about an hour trip to the dealer (which I know is closer than many folks), but then I have to tie up someone else for a ride home, and it's just a pain.

It's not like I noticed a headlight problem or somesuch after the DPS replacement...I kind of hoped that ALL things steering would be attended to during the last dealer visit.

Spyder Garage

When my Spyder was in the dealer for replacement of the DPS unit, the mechanics felt that there was excessive play compared with other units they have serviced/ridden. They attempted to find the source of the excess play (their opinion) and solve it. By their own admission, they were not able to improve the situation significantly. The Spyder seems normal to me. The only other Spyder I have driven was a short test drive in 2007. I know my tie rod ends and ball joints are not at fault as they were just checked as part of my 12k mile service interval. I checked them myself and one was replaced under warranty. My dealer's mechanics are knowledgeable as the shop has sold and services lots of Spyders. They are at a loss and it feels normal to me, so I continue to ryde. I have no feeling of diminished steering control or problems with wandering etc. I just realized this is the RT section on the forum and I am am ryding a GS/RS so my comments may not be pertinent?
    Last edited by sabunim5; 04-12-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    When my Spyder was in the dealer for replacement of the DPS unit, the mechanics felt that there was excessive play compared with other units they have serviced/ridden. They attempted to find the source of the excess play (their opinion) and solve it. By their own admission, they were not able to improve the situation significantly. The Spyder seems normal to me. The only other Spyder I have driven was a short test drive in 2007. I know my tie rod ends and ball joints are not at fault as they were just checked as part of my 12k mile service interval. I checked them myself and one was replaced under warranty. My dealer's mechanics are knowledgeable as the shop has sold and services lots of Spyders. They are at a loss and it feels normal to me, so I continue to ryde. I have no feeling of diminished steering control or problems with wandering etc.
    Add one more vote for ball joints as the possible issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    I just realized this is the RT section on the forum and I am am ryding a GS/RS so my comments may not be pertinent?

Sorry, that's my mistake--the folks above ARE commenting on 2007 vehicles, not RT's. Thanks for the input, sabunim, maybe Lamont will move this.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    So what did it do when you rode it after you posted? Was it acting up again like before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I only got it up to 55 mph. It has that "I'm driving a 1974 Chevy 3/4 ton truck which needs an alignment" feel to it.

Nope not good. And I hope you have someone following you to the dealer?
    Ha!

My daughter had ridden behind me to the dealer, but was reluctant to do so, (correctly) observing "If you go into limp mode, won't I drive right over you?"

Spyder Garage

Ha!

My daughter had ridden behind me to the dealer, but was reluctant to do so, (correctly) observing "If you go into limp mode, won't I drive right over you?"
    Nope that's not good