Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ameobe View Post
    That really sounds drastic # wise to me
    Did they learn from the past, your's & BJT & others issues?
    I think they are learning a lot to be honest with you. Yes it does seem drastic but everything is still in "specs" as they say. It is just such a large variable within the specs. I am glad the service bulletin came out. The lower harmonic really makes for a nicer ride. My guess is that it will treat the spyder nicer too.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I wish I could ride over and check your belts with my Krikit, to get a cross reference.
    Scotty,
    You are Welcome to check mine if you'd like. The backordered DPS units were to be shipped to BRP early this week so Leaders should be getting mine soon. At that time I will have it replaced and my belt adjusted. I am hoping I get a call so I can take it in Wednesday and pick it up next Saturday. We could hook up at that time, possibly meet in Kazoo or I could ride on over to your house. Let me know.

Mark
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

I wish I could ride over and check your belts with my Krikit, to get a cross reference.
    You can, we'll be around for a good part of the weekend. Just jump on your RT and head on over.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    You can, we'll be around for a good part of the weekend. Just jump on your RT and head on over.
    If I jump on the RT, it will have to be my BMW, the Spyder RTS is still in the shop. Depending on our schedules, I may give you a shout and ride over. I don't have your cell number, but I have Brian's. Nancy can't ride yet. She had surgery (MUA) Wednesday to break loose the adhesions in her knee. It bends better, but it is still sore, and she has daily PT for a couple of weeks. She can't ride while she is on the drugs. I'll have to see how she feels about being left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Scotty,
    You are Welcome to check mine if you'd like. The backordered DPS units were to be shipped to BRP early this week so Leaders should be getting mine soon. At that time I will have it replaced and my belt adjusted. I am hoping I get a call so I can take it in Wednesday and pick it up next Saturday. We could hook up at that time, possibly meet in Kazoo or I could ride on over to your house. Let me know.

Mark
    Mark, say "Hi" to my RTS if you visit Leaders. I can't bear to visit. I'll take you up on checking yours if I don't check Deb's or Brians, and I don't have mine back by the time yours is done. That way I can set Nancy's without leaving it in the shop, too.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 04-09-2010 at 10:02 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post

Did Scotty get his RT back???

I just tried to check mine and the cricket tester doesn't seem to move from max-- which I think is around 350.

I think I'll just get it checked in Cuba...

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    +1 A definite improvement though we did have to pay ~ $20 each to get it done. Being it's only a service bulletin, it's considered maitenance work and not warranty work. Plus I got to play with the high dollar Gates sonic tester to see what it read on other things around their shop.
    Had mine adjusted this past Thursday. Dealer didn't charge me anything.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    +1 A definite improvement though we did have to pay ~ $20 each to get it done. Being it's only a service bulletin, it's considered maitenance work and not warranty work. Plus I got to play with the high dollar Gates sonic tester to see what it read on other things around their shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    Had mine adjusted this past Thursday. Dealer didn't charge me anything.

Glynnk
    Brian, I somehow missed your response yesterday but it caught my eye tonight when reading Glynnk's comment above. If your Spyder is still under warranty, and I know it is, you shouldn't have had to pay a dime for that service. One of my ski-doos had a service bulletin for excessive gas and oil usage that I didn't know about because I always did my own service. The sled had been out of warranty for about two years when I found out about the bulletin and my dealer rebuilt the carbs at no charge. A service bulletin is just like a recall. The difference is that a recall can cause bodily harm and you receive a letter from the company. A service bulletin is about a known problem that poses no threat to the owner and is only reported to the dealers and taken care of when brought in for routine service.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Default Just bought the little gage...

Scotty:

Just bought the Gates Green Stripe Krikit II Micro-V Belt Tensioning Gage.

To say that its instructions and small sketches are confusing is an overstatement...

Could you post clearer instructions / pictures on how to properly use this gage...?

Down here in the tropics, I am on my own to do my SE5 regular maintenance chores.

Thanks in advance, Pilo

P.S.: I posted this query in some other posts as well, to see who has the patience to teach me how to use this 'thingy'.
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Scotty:

Just bought the Gates Green Stripe Krikit II Micro-V Belt Tensioning Gage.

To say that its instructions and small sketches are confusing is an overstatement...

Could you post clearer instructions / pictures on how to properly use this gage...?

Down here in the tropics, I am on my own to do my SE5 regular maintenance chores.

Thanks in advance, Pilo

P.S.: I posted this query in some other posts as well, to see who has the patience to teach me how to use this 'thingy'.
    Not sure about the Gates, but it is similar to the NAPA gauge. Not much to it. Put it in the center of the belt run (running lengthwise with the belt), push down on the finger tab until it clicks, read the number off the scale.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Not sure about the Gates, but it is similar to the NAPA gauge. Not much to it. Put it in the center of the belt run (running lengthwise with the belt), push down on the finger tab until it clicks, read the number off the scale.
    Mine has an small edge (flange) to help position it parallel to the belt, but this edge prevents the tool to sit in the center on the belt-width.

Tried it several times but the indicator arm does not show any readings...

That is unless it is way too tight, and eventually off the scale on the high side (more than 300 lbs.)...

What gives...?

Saludos, Pilo
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

Ahhh.. but which side of the moving yellow part does one read for the scale?

I've always assumed the 'top' or 'leftmost' part.

Mine has always been maxed out.. push down to click and nothing has really moved. Going to take it with me to Cuba and check against what they adjust it to.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension

After reading this thread, I took the bike to my local friendly car mechanic who has a Robinair belt tension gauge which reads ft.lbs and Newtons. It was reading a bit off the chart, but we guestimated it was at 250 ft.lbs/1100 Newtons. Had the wife take the Spyder to the dealer to check the belt tension. They said they loosened it and that anything but a "Sonic" gauge will not give an accurate reading. It seemed the same to me, so we put the Robinair on it and sure enough we got the same reading.

So what gives? Is anything but the sonic or whatever gauge they are using inaccurate? Or is the dealer blowing smoke? This is the same dealer that over filled my oil at the 600 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    After reading this thread, I took the bike to my local friendly car mechanic who has a Robinair belt tension gauge which reads ft.lbs and Newtons. It was reading a bit off the chart, but we guestimated it was at 250 ft.lbs/1100 Newtons. Had the wife take the Spyder to the dealer to check the belt tension. They said they loosened it and that anything but a "Sonic" gauge will not give an accurate reading. It seemed the same to me, so we put the Robinair on it and sure enough we got the same reading. Doesn,t It just make you wish you could go in a look at their final guage reading? Sort of like the guy at the oil change place showing you your level on the stick!!

So what gives? Is anything but the sonic or whatever gauge they are using inaccurate? Or is the dealer blowing smoke? This is the same dealer that over filled my oil at the 600 miles.
    When they don,t measure what they take out aren,t they sort of guessing how much they put in. Sea Doo 4-stroke watercraft also have a dry sump and we use a 5 quart oil extractor to take out oil and put the identical amount back in!
    When I change my Spyder oil I pour it in the 5 quart extractor and that tells me just what to put back in within a few ounces.

The MORE you can do yourself the better. NO ONE cares for your Spyder like you do!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!