Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Drive belt tension.

BRP is about to release (or they have already) a Service Bulletin on a lower belt tension for the Spyder. I'm putting this out there for the ones that do their own service. Unlike a recall, if you don't go to a dealer for service they are not required to let us know about Service Bulletins.
    The updated belt tension is 450 Newtons (101.164 LBS), plus or minus 100 Newtons (22.48 LBS). I think the Spyder comes from the factory with a tension of about 800 Newtons. I am sure that some of the more mechanically inclined members on here have already loosened their belts. I will have mine done when I take it in for my DPS replacement.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    BRP is about to release (or they have already) a Service Bulletin on a lower belt tension for the Spyder. I'm putting this out there for the ones that do their own service. Unlike a recall, if you don't go to a dealer for service they are not required to let us know about Service Bulletins.
    The updated belt tension is 450 Newtons (101.164 LBS), plus or minus 100 Newtons (22.48 LBS). I think the Spyder comes from the factory with a tension of about 800 Newtons. I am sure that some of the more mechanically inclined members on here have already loosened their belts. I will have mine done when I take it in for my DPS replacement.
    I am interested in knowing what they adjust your belt tension to. I'll probably have my dealer do mine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is a pretty significant reduction. I guess they've clearly identified some issues with the higher tension. If I buy the tension tool that NAPA sells, where on the belt to you place it to measure the tension?
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Tension specification (for inspection) in the shop manual was 800-1500 newtons! This is a significant reduction.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Be nice to know when this bulletin comes out in print and how long would it take the average tech to adjust the tension?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

WOW---- that is quite the change. Many thought the belt was too tight from the get-go. Probably too much stress on the bearings and pulley... thus some of the failures.

Guess I know what I'll be doing later this week.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Paranoid

I already keep my belt in the 200 to 250 lb. range; but I think I will wait to lower my tension further until there is an "official" announcement. No offense. Thanks for the early heads up.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

When i was at the BRP event in Daytona . A BRP tech. was checking everyones belt tension . Mine was at 280 and some where as high as 1500. I thought that the spread was huge but the tech said they where all in spec .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Tension specification (for inspection) in the shop manual was 800-1500 newtons! This is a significant reduction.
    That would be 180lbs ~ 340lbs for us less educated riders. That is a huge spread! Seems to me about 250lbs (or 1100 newtons) is about where most of us adjusted ours down to.

I believe Lamont has tried lower tension but got too much vibration and noise.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That would be 180lbs ~ 340lbs for us less educated riders. That is a huge spread! Seems to me about 250lbs (or 1100 newtons) is about where most of us adjusted ours down to.

I believe Lamont has tried lower tension but got too much vibration and noise.
    250 pounds was what I have always shot for, give or take 20. The new spec seems very low. I, too, wonder about excess vibration and noise at that setting.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by j45p3r View Post
    That is a pretty significant reduction. I guess they've clearly identified some issues with the higher tension. If I buy the tension tool that NAPA sells, where on the belt to you place it to measure the tension?
    It comes with instructions. It has to be in the middle of the belt and parallel to the edges. The middle of the belt is behind the drivers foot peg bracket.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I have mine at just below 200 ft lbs according to the Kricket. I dont notice much road noise, but it does howl when pushing it backwards.

Spyder Garage

Had my 6000 mile service done last Friday and the service tech while he was outbriefing me said BRP had come out with a new lower standard for belt tension and mine was perfect within the new specs. I did not inquire what those specs were and assumed everyone knew this already. I did think it was a nice touch for the service tech to follow me to the parking lot and brief me on the service.
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Be nice to know when this bulletin comes out in print and how long would it take the average tech to adjust the tension?
    Easy job Sarge. I have the guage here as well as a torque wrench and allen wrench. Thats all thats needed except for the 36 MM socket and a large adjustable. Auto Zone has the 36 MM socket to loan when needed. I have one here. Pop over and we can check the tension and adjust if needed.
    Last edited by SpyderByter; 04-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to stop at my dealer tomorrow, I'll see if I can get a copy (probably not, but I'll try).
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And that is (was) the acceptable range when checking, but for adjusting, the specs are even tighter: 1400-1600 Newtons. The rear wheel is supposed to be off the ground to check the tension.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

250 pounds was what I have always shot for, give or take 20. The new spec seems very low. I, too, wonder about excess vibration and noise at that setting.

The original specs seemed too tight, and now such a drastic drop.

Here is a converter:

http://online.unitconverterpro.com/u...pha/force.html

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for posting this information. When in Daytona, Kurt said my belt was at the low end of the spec, but I did not get a specific number. I am getting close to 9K on the Spyder and will have them check it then I suppose.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The bulletin was released last week. It is now 450 Newtons. They also issued a bulletin to retorque the engine pulley after break in. We have been checking them all when servicing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garganos View Post
    The bulletin was released last week. It is now 450 Newtons. They also issued a bulletin to retorque the engine pulley after break in. We have been checking them all when servicing.
    I wish I lived closer to your dealership, well that is except for all of the snow and cold weather you all get up there.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

What torque should the pulley be?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderByter View Post
    And that is (was) the acceptable range when checking, but for adjusting, the specs are even tighter: 1400-1600 Newtons. The rear wheel is supposed to be off the ground to check the tension.
    Now this does not make sense to me. With the wheel off the ground the belt tension is at its minimum. As the rear tire moves up into the fender well (to a point) tension increases as the distance from the counter sprocket and rear sprocket increases.

I check mine with the wheel on the gound. To my mind the only way to get an accurate reading is to load the Spyder until the belt is at it's tightest point. Otherwise, you really don't know what your actual maximum tension is.

When running a chain driven system you certainly don't want to adjust the chain anywhere but at maximum tension. It's the only way to get it right.

Spyder Garage

Interesting! The 2010 RT shop manual specifies 750 Newtons +/- 250 Newtons (169 lbf +/- 56 lbf) with the rear wheel off the ground. They no longer list separate inspection and adjustment ranges. Are you sure the Service Bulletin said 450 and not 750?
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Interesting! The 2010 RT shop manual specifies 750 Newtons +/- 250 Newtons (169 lbf +/- 56 lbf) with the rear wheel off the ground. They no longer list separate inspection and adjustment ranges. Are you sure the Service Bulletin said 450 and not 750?
    Scotty, how do you explain getting the correct tension with the wheel off the ground. I realize that it is all relative and it may be wheel down is an easier baseline to achieve than getting the two sprocket centers horizontal.

But it seems to me that 170lbs with the wheel off the ground could easily be 250lbs (or whatever but certainly significantly higher tension) at apex. So initial tension settings would not be the actual tension during operation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    What torque should the pulley be?
    Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...321#post195321