Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Chocks for hauling

Would appreciate any comments on whether to use motorcycle chocks with hauling my RTS on a utility trailer. Put another way do any of ya'll use motorcycle chocks when hauling your spyder?

Spyder Garage

Straps with pads through wheels, leave it in gear, check at 5 miles, then at each stop. I'll be putting chocks in my trailer mostly for location, the straps work fine.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No need for chocks. Strap through the wheels (be careful of the valve stem) and leave it in gear.

Spyder Garage

You can, indeed, haul without chocks if you strap it like the manual shows, with the front and back straps pulling against each other. I prefer chocks, however. I don't use the motocycle chocks...I doubt they would fit without damaging the fenders, anyway, even if they are wide enough. I use regular, cheap wheel chocks, available at most auto parts stores, RV stores, or places like Walmart. Easy to drill a hole in the plastic ones and fasten them down anywhere...or use the rubber ones, and they will stay in place by themselves on most trailer beds, especially the expanded metal ones.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Wheel chocks

We use the metal ones from Harbor Freight, but had to add an almost 4 inch thick board for the wheel to sit on, because if you do not, the bike setteles down in the chock and you have to smoke your rear tire to come out of them, with the added board, you can roll into or out of the chocks by hand without the motor running. Also leave in neutral(SE5) so as not to damage the tranny. Also drilled a hole in each chock and use a padlock in each,piece of mind about someone trying to get the Spyder off of the trailer at a resturant or motel. Also use a ratchet strap through the rear wheel with one of those furry seat belt straps one the ratchet strap so it does not wear a place on the wheel,have done this for about 5000miles, no problems and never have to readjust the rear strap at gas stops.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Some pics would be great the next time you have it on the trailer.

Spyder Garage

Should be getting my utility trailer hopefully sometime next week. Chocks will be on plus I'm hoping the electrical winch will be on as well. I'll try to take pics and post.

Spyder Garage

Condor makes a wheel chock for the Spyder.