Thread: sumitomo tires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default sumitomo tires

i was doing some research on tires as i need front ones replaced and was looking for matching front and rear. kumho rears have worked out pretty good but i do like the idea of having matching tires all around. i found these matching sumitomo tires from tirerack and was wondering if anybody had any experience with them. they did receive very good reviews other than having thin sidewall.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=25HR5HTR200
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I have Sumitomo HTR200 tires on the front and after 10,000 miles they look like new. I am running 35 psi and with uniform temperature readings across the tire this pressure seems to be okay. For the front I am using 175/65R14 tires.

I did not choose the HTR200 tire for the rear because they are bidirectional. I wanted omnidirectional tires on the rear for better wet weather performance (hydroplaning). I do not feel this is as important on the front.

For the rear I chose the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport and I am now on my second one for this Spyder. The first one gave me 25,500 miles. As with the front, I am running 35 psi on the rear. See my thread on this.

I wanted to try the Toyo TR1 for the rear, but it was not available when I needed one - maybe next time.

I do not feel it is compelling to have the same tread pattern front and back. The OEM tires are not the same tread pattern, although they were in the beginning. BRP changed the rear tread pattern early in the game, probably because of some reports of hydroplaning???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    I have Sumitomo HTR200 tires on the front and after 10,000 miles they look like new. I am running 35 psi and with uniform temperature readings across the tire this pressure seems to be okay. For the front I am using 175/65R14 tires.

I did not choose the HTR200 tire for the rear because they are bidirectional. I wanted omnidirectional tires on the rear for better wet weather performance (hydroplaning). I do not feel this is as important on the front.

For the rear I chose the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport and I am now on my second one for this Spyder. The first one gave me 25,500 miles. As with the front, I am running 35 psi on the rear. See my thread on this.

I wanted to try the Toyo TR1 for the rear, but it was not available when I needed one - maybe next time.

I do not feel it is compelling to have the same tread pattern front and back. The OEM tires are not the same tread pattern, although they were in the beginning. BRP changed the rear tread pattern early in the game, probably because of some reports of hydroplaning???
    G-force sounds like a winner, according all the reviews. i will most likely go with that next time but i guess there are not much of high performance tires available for the front...

Spyder Garage

Iv'e been thinking about trying the michelin pilot exalto a/s 185-60-14

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Iv'e been thinking about trying the michelin pilot exalto a/s 185-60-14
    is 185 ok to use?
    original size was 165 and idk...

if 185/60/14 is acceptable, that brings yokohama avs es100 in play with matching rears.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    is 185 ok to use?
    original size was 165 and idk...

if 185/60/14 is acceptable, that brings yokohama avs es100 in play with matching rears.
    If you do a search on this subject, you should find that several Spyder owners are using 185/60R14 tires on the front. This is 20mm in extra width, but with the lower aspect ratio the clearance under the fender is more than adequate. The potential problem arises with the clearance under the lip of the fender (not the struts). The fenders are positioned so that there is more clearance under the lip on the inside of the tire than there is on the outside of the tire. The 185mm tire will be a tight fit on the outside lip.

I chose to go with a 175/65R14 tire because I could not know in advance just how tight the fit would be. I have less clearance under the fender than the 185mm tire, but more on the outside lip. The 175mm tires have proven to be just fine in relation to the fenders. Others have said the same thing about the 185mm tires. I am hoping some day to actually see for myself what the 185/60R14 tire looks like on the Spyder. This could open more possibilities for me.

From my point of view, modifying the fenders is not practical. However, others would know more about this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    If you do a search on this subject, you should find that several Spyder owners are using 185/60R14 tires on the front. This is 20mm in extra width, but with the lower aspect ratio the clearance under the fender is more than adequate. The potential problem arises with the clearance under the lip of the fender (not the struts). The fenders are positioned so that there is more clearance under the lip on the inside of the tire than there is on the outside of the tire. The 185mm tire will be a tight fit on the outside lip.

I chose to go with a 175/65R14 tire because I could not know in advance just how tight the fit would be. I have less clearance under the fender than the 185mm tire, but more on the outside lip. The 175mm tires have proven to be just fine in relation to the fenders. Others have said the same thing about the 185mm tires. I am hoping some day to actually see for myself what the 185/60R14 tire looks like on the Spyder. This could open more possibilities for me.

From my point of view, modifying the fenders is not practical. However, others would know more about this.
    yes 18560R opens up a lot more possibility.

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default This one might work well...

on the rear. Has a good looking thread pattern. It is the Kumho ecsta ast about $69 bucks. https://www.tirebuyer.com/#section=t...15&staggered=0

$53 at this site.... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

Also they are Traction A Temp A Threadwear 400

/Ken
    Last edited by krb1945; 03-29-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    on the rear. Has a good looking thread pattern. It is the Kumho ecsta ast about $69 bucks. https://www.tirebuyer.com/#section=t...15&staggered=0

$53 at this site.... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

Also they are Traction A Temp A Threadwear 400

/Ken
    my spyder is on 2nd kumho ecsta but i want something stickier.
    actually, if i had not bought 2 kumho at the same time, i would not have the 2nd kumho. they are good for the price thou.
    bfgoodridge g-force for rear sounds like a winner. 102 bucks at tirerack.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post

What is the difference between bi-directional and omnidirectional tires? A unidirectional tire is designed to be mounted one way only. There are only two ways to mount a tire.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANSWER TO THIS Q

Quote Originally Posted by reverendg View Post
    What is the difference between bi-directional and omnidirectional tires? A unidirectional tire is designed to be mounted one way only. There are only two ways to mount a tire.
    I would contact ...TIRERACK ....directly and talk to a tech for an accurate explanation....This post is 6 years old and the terms may not even apply to tires today........PS, the Sumitomo does not have a good rating compared to what is currently available in Spyder useable sizes........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-08-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would contact ...TIRERACK ....directly and talk to a tech for an accurate explanation....This post is 6 years old and the terms may not even apply to tires today........PS, the Sumitomo does not have a good rating compared to what is currently available in Spyder useable sizes........Mike
    I am thinking he meant unidirectional, not omnidirectional. I have
    never heard of an omnidirectional tire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would contact ...TIRERACK ....directly and talk to a tech for an accurate explanation....This post is 6 years old and the terms may not even apply to tires today.......
    So much may have changed in the years since this thread came out...
    Those tires might not even still be available!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black