Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It's more what goes into the throttle bodies than what goes into the airbox. Some have had enough oil to drip out of the right front corner onto hot parts, which isn't good either.
    Oil on hot parts is a problem? Good thing I didn't know that when I owned all those Triumphs. Oh...I still own one. Now what?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Oil on hot parts is a problem? Good thing I didn't know that when I owned all those Triumphs. Oh...I still own one. Now what?
    Well, if you like lots of smoke and the smell of burning lubricant... Silly question though since you do own Triumphs. Of course you must love it!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Pulled my air box off today (replacing Spark Plug Wires). It's been on there for about 10k miles, as best I can remember. I can report absoultely no oil or oily film in the air box at all. The little vent filter is working really well!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Pulled my air box off today (replacing Spark Plug Wires). It's been on there for about 10k miles, as best I can remember. I can report absoultely no oil or oily film in the air box at all. The little vent filter is working really well!
    It was nice to see a dry air box, your mod is working well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    It was nice to see a dry air box, your mod is working well.
    About 20,000 miles on mine and still dry as a bone. I'd say it works!

Spyder Garage

Has anyone been using this mod? Just like to know how it is working for people long term.

Spyder Garage

I've been thinking of doing something similar, but a little different. I was thinking about a Honda style bypass and return system like they do on the XR650L. I'm just not sure about where to feed the oil drip/return line back. Then you'd never have to clean or empty anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I've been thinking of doing something similar, but a little different. I was thinking about a Honda style bypass and return system like they do on the XR650L. I'm just not sure about where to feed the oil drip/return line back. Then you'd never have to clean or empty anything.

You don't have to clean or empty anything with this mod. It is self maintaining.

Spyder Garage

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by ameobe View Post
    This is Bajaron's oil catch can setup & I made a promise to him if I did it I would post the how to.

I had the pleasure at Lamont's BBQ to see it & I liked the idea of not having to empty a can as the oil will end right back in the engine after it's shut down.

1. Universal glass fuel filter. It does come with hose barb fittings but none were used. (to bulky)

2. Foam, Foam installed & the fuel filter & gasket that I removed from the fuel filter.

3. The new setup connected to the engine. (Be sure not to cut the vent hose to short. easy fix if you would happen to though)

4. The final deal.

To sum it up, it is a very cheap & easy mod to keep the oil out of the air box. My only consideration in the process that I didn't do was to take the nut ends of the filter to the grinder & make them round, so the trip into the hose would be smoother, but I didn't & all went well.

Will update after the riding season as to how it worked for me.

what side is it located on?

Spyder Garage

Default Finally going to try hate oil in my filter

Quote Originally Posted by ameobe View Post
    This is Bajaron's oil catch can setup & I made a promise to him if I did it I would post the how to.

I had the pleasure at Lamont's BBQ to see it & I liked the idea of not having to empty a can as the oil will end right back in the engine after it's shut down.

1. Universal glass fuel filter. It does come with hose barb fittings but none were used. (to bulky)

2. Foam, Foam installed & the fuel filter & gasket that I removed from the fuel filter.

3. The new setup connected to the engine. (Be sure not to cut the vent hose to short. easy fix if you would happen to though)

4. The final deal.

To sum it up, it is a very cheap & easy mod to keep the oil out of the air box. My only consideration in the process that I didn't do was to take the nut ends of the filter to the grinder & make them round, so the trip into the hose would be smoother, but I didn't & all went well.

Will update after the riding season as to how it worked for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MelloYelloSpyder

Default BUMP BUMP

I see this is an old thread. Thinking of trying this on my 13 STS as I seem to be getting some blowby into the airbox. The oil is checked ever 5-600 miles and is never over filled but still getting some oil in the airbox. My question is where is this located on the engine. Looks to be on the left hand side of the engine if you are sitting on the bike.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default That's why I stink!

My wife is going to love this fix. She complains that everytime I ride my Spyder for a while I stink! I ride pretty aggressively and up to now have diligently kept the oil close to full mark. Thanks for the post. Will be installing this fix next week. Will monitor the "feedback" from wife afterward and report back.
    Promise to limit wife's "feedback" comments to oil smell and not the hundreds of other "feedback" comments she "submits" hourly.

Spyder Garage

Wow! This is a Blast from the Past! I think a lot of people are using this setup. But you don't hear much feedback because people install this and forget about it. But I guess that's what it's all about anyway! It should do the trick for you (and your wife).

MelloYelloSpyder

Default Just a bit of advice

Thought I would drop in and give some advice to those doing this mod so as you can learn from my mistake. I did this mod to my 13 STS SM5 and up until this year it was working fine and probably would be still BUT I had some issues when I installed it and had to rig it a bit differently. I bought the same filter as shown in the pic and ground down the mounting area so they were rounded and the hose and clamp would fit better. I could not for the life of me get a straight connection between the mounting points with that filter installed. I tried for the better part of an hour to get it to work. Well my idea was to run a good length of hose between the top of the filter and the bottom of the air box creating a 360 degree loop to the box. I assumed all was well. Two weeks ago my clutch was not holding when I was accelerating at highway speed. Dropped it off at the shop and they ended up removing the mod I did as the hose had two kinks in it which was causing a pressure/vacuum problem which the manual clutch needs to operate. They also disconnected the pneumatic assist on the clutch. This has resulted in a stiffer than average clutch pull and feels more like a bike with a cable clutch than a hydraulic. Upside is I like the way the clutch feels now and it is more responsive. So my advice is that if you can not make the straight connection like what is shown in the pics then don't do this mod. If you can make the straight connection then by all means do it as I think it works quite well. I ended up having a K&N filter put in and keep the oil level about halfway up the stick rather than at the full mark.