Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP NEEDED WITH STEERING ISSUE

I have seen many posts in the past about steering issues but I don't recall seeing if they were fixed or if they still continued. I ask because I recently had the steering lock up while going into a turn and then suddenly free up just in time to make the corner. As many others have expressed it poped or clicked when it cut loose so I could turn. This is a bad feeling. I did have the recall done last summer. This problem happened about 6 times before stopping and shutting down the spyder. After a short time I restarted and rode home without any issues, about 45 miles. Just wanted to know from those who have had the same problem if it continued or was the dealer able to fix it and if so what did they do to fix it. Thanks for your help!!!

Spyder Garage

i didnt have that issue my PE power steering never worked they did software upgrade it worked for short time then quit again so the dealer changed the DPS seems to be fine now ,,,,
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I too am interested in the feedback of others who have had this fix. I just got my update about a week ago and haven't had any incidents since. I commute daily, so I think that's a pretty accurate & consistent test.

I almost didn't have the update done, since I have only ever experienced that 'stuck in a groove' feeling once, and never since, and that was last Summer.

I am all ears!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The software upgrade did not fix mine, so they replaced the DPS unit. Lots of miles since then, no further problems.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Kural;190844]I too am interested in the feedback of others who have had this fix. I just got my update about a week ago and haven't had any incidents since. I commute daily, so I think that's a pretty accurate & consistent test.

I almost didn't have the update done, since I have only ever experienced that 'stuck in a groove' feeling once, and never since, and that was last Summer.

I am all ears! [/QUOT

I've had the notch ,the recall [ it's not an update] fixed that.
    But every now and then going around sweeping turns the power steering cuts out. I'll bring it in when BRP finds a real fix.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I've had the notch ,the recall [ it's not an update] fixed that. But every now and then going around sweeping turns the power steering cuts out. I'll bring it in when BRP finds a real fix.
    At least bring it in and get a claim number on file. BRP can't fix them if they don't know about them. The more people that "wait for a sure cure" the slower it will be to get that cure.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    At least bring it in and get a claim number on file. BRP can't fix them if they don't know about them. The more people that "wait for a sure cure" the slower it will be to get that cure.
    I agree, It's just that i don't want to hall it to the dealer leave it there for who knows how long while they Wait for parts. But your right i should take it in. But let them look at it and if it needs a part have them order it then bring it back in . I have a strong feeling it doesn't work that way.
    Believe me the occasional steering glitch doesn't stop me from riding.
    You should have seen the stuff i rode over the years, Some of it was even Government issue.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine was fine up to 12,000 miles with no steering issues. Had the recall (software update) done at the 12K service and the locked steering / sudden turn issue raised its ugly head. Waitin on the dealer to finish a DPS install as I type.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have not had any issues with the steering on my spyder and put 8.5K miles last year. Taking it out of hibernation on Saturday. Hopefulle it is running as smooth as I remember.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I agree, It's just that i don't want to hall it to the dealer leave it there for who knows how long while they Wait for parts. But your right i should take it in. But let them look at it and if it needs a part have them order it then bring it back in . I have a strong feeling it doesn't work that way.
    Believe me the occasional steering glitch doesn't stop me from riding.
    You should have seen the stuff i rode over the years, Some of it was even Government issue.
    For me, once the steering "glitches" started, they got more frequent and more severe. Replacing my DPS unit cured the problem. Unit took about 10 days to arrive. PLEASE do us all a favor and file a NHTSA report. I understand that when you were younger you may have had a high tolerance for personal risk. The experience acquired in growing older is supposed to make us wiser.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Scotty's right (as always!) - you need to at least talk to your dealer about it. It won't fix itself.

I LOVE my

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Spyder Garage

My Spyder's DPS was replaced with a new one by the dealer before I brought it home. Mine was a demo, so they replaced the clutch and DPS before handing it over, and I've had zero issues...

Just bought sports rack and seat from dealer as well - called them up and they delivered the parts to my house...

Now, that's service!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default STEERING PROBLEM

my dealer called me and tolled me that they had a recall on the power steering pump.and they change it ride's mint now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I have seen many posts in the past about steering issues but I don't recall seeing if they were fixed or if they still continued. I ask because I recently had the steering lock up while going into a turn and then suddenly free up just in time to make the corner. As many others have expressed it poped or clicked when it cut loose so I could turn. This is a bad feeling. I did have the recall done last summer. This problem happened about 6 times before stopping and shutting down the spyder. After a short time I restarted and rode home without any issues, about 45 miles. Just wanted to know from those who have had the same problem if it continued or was the dealer able to fix it and if so what did they do to fix it. Thanks for your help!!!
    You need to get it in to your dealer and they will fix it.

Contrary to what some say, many of us have had the steering problem--- AND have had them FIXED. They may replace the DPS, some sensors, update the software and re-zero things. Once those are done you should be okay----as most have found out--- ride with a bit of caution (as we all should anyways) after the fix to make sure it is fixed.

Good luck.

You can check the numbers for yourself:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17845

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Steering issue? Who knew? . . . . .

. . . . .

It has been a hot topic around here for the last few months with more than its share of typical internet drama . . .

Anyway, as everyone has said, "Yes, take it in." I had it and while it was not all the time at first, it progressively started happening more often and in fairly predictable circumstances. In my case, I had about 600 miles of no problem riding between when it first happened and when it started happening all the time.

For some, a software update eliminated the steering issue. For others, it also took the dealership reseting different sensors and settings to eliminate the "locking" or "sticking", like you felt. For others, including me, it then took replacing the DPS (Dynamic Power Steering) unit for the problem to be resolved. Some people even had multiple DPSs installed before being problem free. And, there are a few whose Spyders are still in the shop, since all the above has not yet resolved the issue. Bottomline: it may take more than one visit for this to get fixed.

Some people have had to wait for parts - at one time or another, but inventory supplies are a fluid thing - and today, there may not be any waiting until you try. Also, you will have to take into account "When" your shop can get the time to work on it. For me, my replacement DPS came in right away and my Spyder was only in the shop for a couple days. I have had no problems since getting it back right after Christmas.

So, take it in. It will also help if you report this to BRP and get a 'case number' assigned to it. Carlo, the BRP Spyder Tech-Customer-Service-Go-To-Guy, can help track and expedite your issues. Email him with a description of what happened and where & when you are going to take it to be fixed. Make sure you include your Spyder's VIN in the email. For some of us, Carlo called us before we emailed him, after reading our postings on SpyderLovers - but don't count on it - you need to take the steps to get this fixed.

Here is the email address: spydertechsupport@brp.com

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Yes, mine stayed in the shop for 15 weeks, three different DPS units were put in with other sensors, alignments and so forth before I got it back. I have rode a few times since getting it back and so far it seems fixed in my opinion. Whether its a temp fix I don't know, I can just comment on how it rides now.
    Having trouble with muscles in my neck from previous bike wrecks causing me not to be able to ride right now. Hopefully that will change soon. (Chiropractor Help!)

Definately get it in to have them start workin on it. It won't fix itself setting at your home.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    6 Spoke rims with wheel trim kit, Hindle exhaust, F1 EVO Slide windshield,
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER