Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Disappointment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CARLO

I wonder if Carlo, will he respond on here, or has BRP ever responed for the public can see. Scotty is one of the BEST

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by csmead View Post
    I would like to add...
    One of the reasons that Microsoft almost (and may have) lost their edge in software technology was the attitude of "let the buyer fix it." As users, we got tired of all the patches, promises, etc.
    BRP should take note of this.
    I understand; we would like to "personalize" and improve our bikes by adding accessories or upgrading. But what I find unacceptable is to expect users to buy a new bike, and immediately replace the shocks, adding sway bars, etc. The bike should stand alone as a well built and usable product. And after a couple of years, replace worn parts with upgrades. At what point did we find it acceptable to spend a lot of $$ on something that poorly built? When is was the last time you purchased a new chair with 6 inch legs, a new car without the correct rims and bald tires, a new TV without an electrical cord?
    For those of you who jump on the "upgrade" bandwagon, remember that you are enabling BRP not to address these issues...
    For people like me, I stand up and fight the good fight... to make the bike a better product for everyone...
    Fixing it yourself is not forcing BRP to fix these issues. The Spyder should be for everyone...not just those who are mechanically minded enough to switch out $1,000 parts every few weeks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by csmead View Post
    I would like to add...
    One of the reasons that Microsoft almost (and may have) lost their edge in software technology was the attitude of "let the buyer fix it." As users, we got tired of all the patches, promises, etc.
    BRP should take note of this.
    I understand; we would like to "personalize" and improve our bikes by adding accessories or upgrading. But what I find unacceptable is to expect users to buy a new bike, and immediately replace the shocks, adding sway bars, etc. The bike should stand alone as a well built and usable product. And after a couple of years, replace worn parts with upgrades. At what point did we find it acceptable to spend a lot of $$ on something that poorly built? When is was the last time you purchased a new chair with 6 inch legs, a new car without the correct rims and bald tires, a new TV without an electrical cord?
    For those of you who jump on the "upgrade" bandwagon, remember that you are enabling BRP not to address these issues...
    For people like me, I stand up and fight the good fight... to make the bike a better product for everyone...
    Fixing it yourself is not forcing BRP to fix these issues. The Spyder should be for everyone...not just those who are mechanically minded enough to switch out $1,000 parts every few weeks.
    I fully understand and agree with most of your post--- with the exception of the Microsoft reference.... .

Anyhow....

Scotty is a patient and considerate Spyder owner - and I hope he will be able to work things out and get results from his dealer (who happens to be my dealer too). I've had good experiences with the dealer, but have not had any major issues at all... so I may not be the best judge of their willingness to work on such things.

Scotty is well respected and and one of those genuinely nice folks that doesn't just complain about things for the sake of complaining. If he states there is a problem--- then rest assured there IS a problem. I sure hope BRP steps up to the plate and takes care of him---- we'll all be watching closely!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Issues

Sorry for your issues, I have been there in years past too, We just returned from a week at The Texas Three Twisted Sisters a very good proving ground for thr Rt, hrer is we wound up, Rear tire gone at 6500 mi.at factory tire pressure, raised front to stiffest setting 21psi. in front tires, helped keep bike from squirming on sofr sidewalls, put a Nitto n450 extreme performance tire on rear, now at 18psi. NOT 28, my wife now very comfortableat speed, takes curves much!! better , I suspect when I get the front tires off and replaced with an auto tire with better sidewalls will only get better,she hurt alot of two wheelers feelings around Leakey who thought she would hold them up by driving away from them, fit ,finish no issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire

put a Nitto n450 extreme performance tire on rear.

Does this tire fit the 2010 Spyder RT's. If so how much and where did you get it from.
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Spyder Garage

Scotty,
    I am sorry to hear of the problems you're having. I could tell by your post that you were anticipating only the best. My personal experience with my RT and other post I've read, l honestly believe your issues are in the minority category and SHOULD definitely be corrected by dealer/BRP. I pray that will be the case and you will soon be out on the road enjoying a SAFE ryde.

I for one, could not be happier with my Spyder, in fact, neither my Nightrain nor V-Star have gone any further than around the block since Dec. 31, the day I brought the RT home.

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Scotty is a patient and considerate Spyder owner - and I hope he will be able to work things out and get results from his dealer (who happens to be my dealer too). I've had good experiences with the dealer, but have not had any major issues at all... so I may not be the best judge of their willingness to work on such things.

Scotty is well respected and and one of those genuinely nice folks that doesn't just complain about things for the sake of complaining. If he states there is a problem--- then rest assured there IS a problem. I sure hope BRP steps up to the plate and takes care of him---- we'll all be watching closely!
    Known Scotty ever since I joined this forum. His knowledge and patience is well know to all of us. For him to write a thread like this really makes me question the QC method BRP is using and lack of attention to customer satisfaction and loyalty retension. Buying a $20+K bike should not be a crap shoot. PEs needs to be perfect in every sense and not come down to the luck of the draw. I for one will sit on my '08 with its extended warrenty. I will not buy anything new from BRP until I see the product is on firm ground. I am not rich enough to be their guinne pig and be on their bleeding edge.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Lets go for a ride.
    I think I could conjour up a ride with Wheeler, Thespyderman, myself and maybe Docdoru.

Doc and I are planning a trip to Cuba, Mo 15th of april, and would love additional riders. Planning on the 1,100 mile journey in about 24 hrs, ( saves hotel costs ) and besides we love to ride.

As you noticed I live in Kissimme so give me a call 407-520-1061.

Have a great day and keep the rubber down and plastic up.

OH.. Wheeler = RT the rest of us RS/GS.

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default I'll ask a stupid question

I have three Goldwings.

Gwing front & rear suspension (front & rear shocks) are rebuild-able.

On Two of my Gwing's, I rebuilt the front forks & Rear shocks.

On one of the Wings I put heavier shock oil & put a progressive spring that was wound soft at the beginning and then harder as it went down the spring.

This made it handle Great!!

Are the Spyder front shock rebuild-able?

I may try to contact Progressive Suspension

Does anyone have dimensions on the Spyder front shocks?

Westgl
    Last edited by westgl; 03-26-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not Sure

I was going to be a Spyder RT owner. I do a lot of snowmobiling. So the Spyder RT really interested me. I test rode one last Saturday and (IMO)it handled/ steered more like a snowmobile than a motorcycle. I plan to have my wife test ride it this Saturday. After reading of all of the issues though, I am thinking that I will not be buying one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rineer4635 View Post
    I was going to be a Spyder RT owner. I do a lot of snowmobiling. So the Spyder RT really interested me. I test rode one last Saturday and (IMO)it handled/ steered more like a snowmobile than a motorcycle. I plan to have my wife test ride it this Saturday. After reading of all of the issues though, I am thinking that I will not be buying one.
    At least wait for the next model year. Second release of PE edition shouldn't have this much pain associated with it. BRP should take note of this thread and pay attention to their customers and their QC.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rineer4635 View Post
    Spyders do steer more like snowmobiles or ATVs than motorcycles. That is their nature, and it is a necessary function of the three wheel design, just as for a motorcycle with a sidecar, or a trike conversion. Don't let it throw you. You get very used to it, very quickly. Once you get used to the idea of leaning your body into the turn instead of the motorcycle, and steering instead of countersteering, it becomes instinctive...and you do great. It may take several demo rides, or about 100 miles on the Spyder, before you are comfortable.

Don't let the problems with mine throw you off. I think it is the exception. The demos I rode were safe and predictable. If they can't fix mine, I will try to trade it for another. The RT does have some wallow, and some handling differences from the sport Spyder, but these normally can be addressed by suspension adjustments (within limits). Under normal circumstances, the wind buffeting issues are no more serious than on any motorcycle with a large windshield...actually better than some I have owned. On the plus side, it is without a doubt, the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever ridden in over fifty years, and it has an incredible amount of very useable storage. Keep an open mind, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If they can't fix mine, I will try to trade it for another.
    I don't believe anyone who spend $25K on a brand spanking new bike should resort to trading their problems away because they happen to get a lemon with the luck of the draw. BRP need to be accountable for the issues they let pass the production line. Just like a previous poster said, if you spend money to fix issues that shouldn't be there in the first place, you are giving BRP a free pass and they will continue to pull stunt like this. Only when they are held accountable, will they attempt to make change and the end result will be better for ALL of us as well as the company itself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    I don't believe anyone who spend $25K on a brand spanking new bike should resort to trading their problems away because they happen to get a lemon with the luck of the draw. BRP need to be accountable for the issues they let pass the production line. Just like a previous poster said, if you spend money to fix issues that shouldn't be there in the first place, you are giving BRP a free pass and they will continue to pull stunt like this. Only when they are held accountable, will they attempt to make change and the end result will be better for ALL of us as well as the company itself.
    I'm sorry to hear that remarks made for BRP ears, are influencing the NEW Spyder RT purchasers decisions to buy. Take it from a rider who has ridden and owned several different makes and models of bikes, there's not one out there without it's own infamous problems. For Scotty to have had so many issues with his Spyder, it's obvious he has a unique bike, with problems most of us have not experienced. Again, as many issues as he has experienced are the exception, rather than the rule.
    After about 75 miles on my Spyder, pushing it to the limits, I now know the capabilities of the bike. It takes up to it's first 100 miles of riding to become familiar with the changes in it's handling over a traditional 2 wheeler. Granted, I only have 3056 miles on my RT, but I'm familiar with it's abilities. It's the most comfortable, best handling and cornering vehicle I've owned. I know Scotty's and other issues experienced by owners will be addressed, as will my issues. I can still say, with no reservations, I LOVE MY SPYDER!
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyders do steer more like snowmobiles or ATVs than motorcycles. That is their nature, and it is a necessary function of the three wheel design, just as for a motorcycle with a sidecar, or a trike conversion. Don't let it throw you. You get very used to it, very quickly. Once you get used to the idea of leaning your body into the turn instead of the motorcycle, and steering instead of countersteering, it becomes instinctive...and you do great. It may take several demo rides, or about 100 miles on the Spyder, before you are comfortable.

Don't let the problems with mine throw you off. I think it is the exception. The demos I rode were safe and predictable. If they can't fix mine, I will try to trade it for another. The RT does have some wallow, and some handling differences from the sport Spyder, but these normally can be addressed by suspension adjustments (within limits). Under normal circumstances, the wind buffeting issues are no more serious than on any motorcycle with a large windshield...actually better than some I have owned. On the plus side, it is without a doubt, the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever ridden in over fifty years, and it has an incredible amount of very useable storage. Keep an open mind, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I actually was VERY comfortable riding the Spyder RT and liked the handling. I think it was due to all of my snowmobiling miles.

Spyder Garage

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to pick up my plates. Talking to the owner, he asked how I liked it. Great except the steering is a little squirrely. He offered to take it in the back, tighten up the suspension and raise the front pressure to 18 psi. It did help, although with only one rider, it's still a little light. As far as the front end.... from what I can determine of the design (not just Spyder, but any 2 front 1 back wheel design), the front is going to be inherently loose. With one wheel pushing in the center, as you move over the road or are influenced by wind, the forces will shift right or left. This will push more on one front wheel than the other. 4 wheelers don't do this because they have ...... 4 wheels. haven't ridden a snowmobile, but would assume the same forces would be involved at a lesser degree.
    To anyone who is using this thread as an excuse NOT to buy a Spyder, I believe the problems that Scotty has are the exception. He is just lucky that all the problems showed up in that one bike! I only have 160 miles on mine, but am becoming more comfortable with it. It's like anything else, you have to learn the personality before you can work with it. Just ask my wife!
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT-S Handling Issues

While I'm not an avid poster, I have owned an RT-S PE since early January and personally, my experiences are similar to Scotty's.

In terms of the fit and finish, my RT came out of the box with a damaged passenger grab handle. That piece has yet to have been replaced. To be fair, when the Dealer told me last week that it hasn't yet arrived, I told them that we'll get it done when my riding season ends in a few months.

Yes, I have the bad gas gauge and brakes that squeak very loudly. I've also noticed the same poor braking characteristics that Scotty clearly pointed out. On my first service, the Dealer told me that there was (at that time) no fix for the gas gauge and that they'd monitor the brakes. (Not a warm and fuzzy feeling to have brakes that squeak and feel inadequate). For whatever reason, the brakes don't feel that they can stop the Spyder RT in an efficient manner.

Now the big thing...Highway Speed Handling:

We have to remember that the RT is billed as being a touring machine. If it was billed as an "around towner" or "bar hopper" my expectations would be reasonable, but it's not...it's a highway touring machine. Or at least, that's how it's promoted. Personally, I've been very disappointed with the Spyder's poor handling at more than 55 miles per hour. Add a bit of wind to the equation and it's more work than fun attempting to keep it running in a straight line. At times, it feels downright unstable when riding at highway speeds. The handling at speed feels as if there is absolutely no margin for error and it's similar to what Scotty and what others have described.

When I first noticed the lack of handling issues, I chalked it up to rider error and adapted my two wheeled riding style for the Spyder. I eased up on the grips, but after 2,000 miles, it's not a good ride on the highway.

Also, if you're riding with friends, they will not want to ride behind the RT as it displaces so much air, that it creates a buffeting situation for those riding behind the RT. Also, one friend who was riding behind me (before the buffeting got to him) commented that the Spyder's rear end was bouncing up and down like a 1960's Cadillac. Yes, the Dealer is aware of these issues and is doing their best to solve them, but they need some input from the factory that so far, has not yielded positive results. I've tried adjusting the rear shock both by adding/removing air pressure and with the dash controller and it still bounces.

Before you ask, I've tried every known combination of front shock absorber/tire pressure settings known to man and while it may ride okay for a very short period, it quickly goes back to feeling like I'm riding a bucking bronco. Allow me to add that during the first week of ownership, when I first noticed the problems riding at highway speeds (the speed limits here are 70 mph), I attempted to change the shock's settings. One side's adapter ring was so tight, I couldn't adjust it. So, I took it to the dealer and it broke off. The tech told me I had a bad shock, but the factory felt it was just a bad ring...and that's all that was replaced. Possibly all this can be cured by new shocks, but until the factory wants to try that, I'm stuck with what they tell the Dealer.

I've had two limp home situations over a ten day period and it's yet again in the shop. In fact, this trike has been in the shop so frequently that I've gotten to know the dealer's pickup/delivery person very well. I have a lot of confidence in my Dealership and would buy from them again, but it seems that the weak point is the factory identifying an owner's problems and providing a fix.

Yes, I've contacted the Spyder Team at BRP and have gotten nowhere with them other than being told to deal with the dealer. When I attempted to point out that I've read about other similar situations on this site, I was told not to believe everything I read online...really.

Please note that I'm not a rookie to the world of motorcycling and this is my 15th motorcycle (yes, I know it has three wheels!).

I have a nice, respectable relationship with my Dealer and when they picked it up this week, I requested they not return it until it's right. If they can't make it perform as the comfortable, stable touring bike that the factory promoted, to put it on the showroom floor and sell it. Sorry, but I'm getting tired of being a guinea pig for a product that can't cruise smoothly at reasonable touring speeds.

I've attempted to be realistic in my expectations for the Spyder RT and can only hope that the Factory and the Dealer can figure out what's wrong and either repair it to operate as promoted or to provide a painless method of allowing me to remove it from my garage.

I really wanted to like the RT as I truly enjoy it around town. But I purchased the RT to take trips on and if it can't be properly repaired to be somewhat smoother and more confident at 70 mph, I'll be telling her goodbye.

And, one more point, the cruising range on this touring machine is, IMHO, inadequate. I recently took a trip that had around an 80 mile stretch with no gas stations. It was strange to have to be seeking a gas station before and after that stretch while my friends with tour bikes had to wait for me while I re-fueled.

I've attempted to be honest in my assessments of the RT-S PE, and while there is much to like about it (around town handling, easy U-Turns, smooth transmission, decent audio system, good storage, etc.), that unstable feeling at highway speeds is a deal killer for me. After all, the RT is supposed to be a touring trike and highway speed handling is part of the equation that separates a street machine from a tourer.

Spyder Garage

Scotty, so sorry for your disappontment.

All that money not to be happy would just burn me up.
    I always thought they should of taken alittle more time and get the GS to be the perfect machine by listening to us as riders for an extra year or to, then venture into the RT line.
    This is what happens when people and companies spread themselves to thin and forget the big picture. The news can backfire, then what do you have?

I know when I sat on the RT, I was not comfortable at all, of course just my opinion... I love my GS after a few drawbacks. I hope in time the bugs will be worked out and you will love your RT, and be a happy rider again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Don't get your panties in a wad! You can handle things anyway you want to, when your time comes. I will handle things the way I want to. I like the RT, and I want to be riding one. If they can't or won't fix mine, I will find a way to do so. There is no reason for anyone to throw a fit. There is nobody to please here but me and my wife.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Don't get your panties in a wad! You can handle things anyway you want to, when your time comes. I will handle things the way I want to. I like the RT, and I want to be riding one. If they can't or won't fix mine, I will find a way to do so. There is no reason for anyone to throw a fit. There is nobody to please here but me and my wife.
    Chill dude !!! This is not an attack on your approach to your problems at hand but rather my dismay at grives BRP has caused on their loyal customers. And it appears that there are a handful of others that BRP needs to please also.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeachRyder View Post
    While I'm not an avid poster, I have owned an RT-S PE since early January and personally, my experiences are similar to Scotty's.
    Very level headed, unemotional write-up. Your expectation of your purchase is very reasonabe. Hope it eventually works out for you.
    Last edited by M2Wild; 03-26-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another factor to throw in the mix is that I'm not a big guy. I weigh in at 150 lbs., and typically ride solo.

Could this be a reason for the unstable front handling and bouncy rear at highway speeds?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My RT's both are smooth at highway speeds, unless there is heavy wind, then they do move about. I put that down to the huge surface area. I've felt it on two wheelers too, but they presented less surface area, and possibly the trike design has an impact too. I guess I just accept that as an aspect of the design. But, it may also be that yours is acting differently than mine, either because of settings, or some defect, or something. It's really hard to tell whether some of the opinions mostly relate to different expectations, or have to do with genuine differences between bikes. Either way, I hope you're able to get it to a point you can be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeachRyder View Post

In terms of the fit and finish, my RT came out of the box with a damaged passenger grab handle. That piece has yet to have been replaced. To be fair, when the Dealer told me last week that it hasn't yet arrived, I told them that we'll get it done when my riding season ends in a few months.

Yes, I have the bad gas gauge and brakes that squeak very loudly. I've also noticed the same poor braking characteristics that Scotty clearly pointed out. On my first service, the Dealer told me that there was (at that time) no fix for the gas gauge and that they'd monitor the brakes. (Not a warm and fuzzy feeling to have brakes that squeak and feel inadequate). For whatever reason, the brakes don't feel that they can stop the Spyder RT in an efficient manner.

Now the big thing...Highway Speed Handling:

We have to remember that the RT is billed as being a touring machine. If it was billed as an "around towner" or "bar hopper" my expectations would be reasonable, but it's not...it's a highway touring machine. Or at least, that's how it's promoted. Personally, I've been very disappointed with the Spyder's poor handling at more than 55 miles per hour. Add a bit of wind to the equation and it's more work than fun attempting to keep it running in a straight line. At times, it feels downright unstable when riding at highway speeds. The handling at speed feels as if there is absolutely no margin for error and it's similar to what Scotty and what others have described.

When I first noticed the lack of handling issues, I chalked it up to rider error and adapted my two wheeled riding style for the Spyder. I eased up on the grips, but after 2,000 miles, it's not a good ride on the highway.

Also, if you're riding with friends, they will not want to ride behind the RT as it displaces so much air, that it creates a buffeting situation for those riding behind the RT. Also, one friend who was riding behind me (before the buffeting got to him) commented that the Spyder's rear end was bouncing up and down like a 1960's Cadillac. Yes, the Dealer is aware of these issues and is doing their best to solve them, but they need some input from the factory that so far, has not yielded positive results. I've tried adjusting the rear shock both by adding/removing air pressure and with the dash controller and it still bounces.

Before you ask, I've tried every known combination of front shock absorber/tire pressure settings known to man and while it may ride okay for a very short period, it quickly goes back to feeling like I'm riding a bucking bronco. Allow me to add that during the first week of ownership, when I first noticed the problems riding at highway speeds (the speed limits here are 70 mph), I attempted to change the shock's settings. One side's adapter ring was so tight, I couldn't adjust it. So, I took it to the dealer and it broke off. The tech told me I had a bad shock, but the factory felt it was just a bad ring...and that's all that was replaced. Possibly all this can be cured by new shocks, but until the factory wants to try that, I'm stuck with what they tell the Dealer.

I've had two limp home situations over a ten day period and it's yet again in the shop. In fact, this trike has been in the shop so frequently that I've gotten to know the dealer's pickup/delivery person very well. I have a lot of confidence in my Dealership and would buy from them again, but it seems that the weak point is the factory identifying an owner's problems and providing a fix.

Yes, I've contacted the Spyder Team at BRP and have gotten nowhere with them other than being told to deal with the dealer. When I attempted to point out that I've read about other similar situations on this site, I was told not to believe everything I read online...really.

Please note that I'm not a rookie to the world of motorcycling and this is my 15th motorcycle (yes, I know it has three wheels!).

I have a nice, respectable relationship with my Dealer and when they picked it up this week, I requested they not return it until it's right. If they can't make it perform as the comfortable, stable touring bike that the factory promoted, to put it on the showroom floor and sell it. Sorry, but I'm getting tired of being a guinea pig for a product that can't cruise smoothly at reasonable touring speeds.

I've attempted to be realistic in my expectations for the Spyder RT and can only hope that the Factory and the Dealer can figure out what's wrong and either repair it to operate as promoted or to provide a painless method of allowing me to remove it from my garage.

I really wanted to like the RT as I truly enjoy it around town. But I purchased the RT to take trips on and if it can't be properly repaired to be somewhat smoother and more confident at 70 mph, I'll be telling her goodbye.

And, one more point, the cruising range on this touring machine is, IMHO, inadequate. I recently took a trip that had around an 80 mile stretch with no gas stations. It was strange to have to be seeking a gas station before and after that stretch while my friends with tour bikes had to wait for me while I re-fueled.

I've attempted to be honest in my assessments of the RT-S PE, and while there is much to like about it (around town handling, easy U-Turns, smooth transmission, decent audio system, good storage, etc.), that unstable feeling at highway speeds is a deal killer for me. After all, the RT is supposed to be a touring trike and highway speed handling is part of the equation that separates a street machine from a tourer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BHawksworth View Post
    My RT's both are smooth at highway speeds, unless there is heavy wind, then they do move about. I put that down to the huge surface area. I've felt it on two wheelers too, but they presented less surface area, and possibly the trike design has an impact too. I guess I just accept that as an aspect of the design. But, it may also be that yours is acting differently than mine, either because of settings, or some defect, or something. It's really hard to tell whether some of the opinions mostly relate to different expectations, or have to do with genuine differences between bikes. Either way, I hope you're able to get it to a point you can be happy with it.
    It is encouraging to hear that there are RTs out there that are safe and stable at highway speeds. I had expected that from my demo rides, and was surprised by the bad manners my RTS and a few others have exhibited. Perhaps the difference is in small alignment variations, loose suspension parts, or some other small variable with large consequences. Let's all hope that the causes can be discovered and corrected in short order. I still have high hopes for the RT, and am certainly not ready to write it off yet, but it needs to learn some manners...and mine needs to learn how to stop when it is asked.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The brakes are not great. No bite. Maybe a different pad will help.

It is encouraging to hear that there are RTs out there that are safe and stable at highway speeds. I had expected that from my demo rides, and was surprised by the bad manners my RTS and a few others have exhibited. Perhaps the difference is in small alignment variations, loose suspension parts, or some other small variable with large consequences. Let's all hope that the causes can be discovered and corrected in short order. I still have high hopes for the RT, and am certainly not ready to write it off yet, but it needs to learn some manners...and mine needs to learn how to stop when it is asked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BHawksworth View Post
    The brakes are not great. No bite. Maybe a different pad will help.
    I took a close look at my rear brake, and the pads are not contacting the disc evenly, or in their entirety. I suspect an extremely hard pad material. Low brake pressure would also be a possibility, though. Not sure that there are a lot of alternatives. Curiously enough, the early 2010 RS Spyders used the same pads and calipers as the 2008 and 2009 models, but the parts fiche lists the late production units as having the same rear caliper as the RT, but a different pad set. The RT uses the newer rear caliper but the old pad set. Maybe BRP is discovering some difficulties.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!