Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Disappointment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vordak View Post
    Going back to the OP, I think a lot of his issues are probably related to poor/defective dealer prep. Seems to be a common issue.

V.
    Actually, very few are associated with the dealer prep process, and I took care of those booboos. The alignment is done at the factory. The engine comes ready to run, and the dealer couldn't change the timing or fuel mixture, anyway. The brakes also have nothing to do with the dealer. Same for paint and seat defects, bad gauges, bad light assemblies, etc. Maybe some of these things could be caught by careful inspection during prep, but they are certainly not a result of it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

That kind of what I meant. A good dealer should've picked the paint flaws and poor handling. I'm sorry you are having issues, I hope mine is fine...

V.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vordak View Post
    That kind of what I meant. A good dealer should've picked the paint flaws and poor handling. I'm sorry you are having issues, I hope mine is fine...

V.
    Dealer wouldn't have picked up the poor handling, it was the middle of a Michigan winter. I didn't even catch it until it was Spring, and I started to ride, and even then it wasn't until it was broken in enough to hit the highway that I noticed it was severe. They don't test drive these things. Ours were both delivered with less than one mile on the odo, as it should be. I hope yours is fine, too. Mine certainly seems to be the exception.

BTW, welcome.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Hey Scotty,
    Just curious how your dealer is coming along on your RT? Are they making any progress on your list?
    Hope things are progressing for you and the dealer. You are a valuable and very knowledgable owner/rider on this forum, and because of you, many people including myself have been able to solve other problems with their spyders. I hope that they are able to diagnose and repair your RT to your satisfaction in a short time.

Keep the faith.......hopefully BRP will step up to the plate, and make it right for you!

Have a great Day!

Mike
    Just remember: "It will feel better when it stops hurting!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vendit View Post
    Hey Scotty,
    Just curious how your dealer is coming along on your RT? Are they making any progress on your list?
    Hope things are progressing for you and the dealer. You are a valuable and very knowledgable owner/rider on this forum, and because of you, many people including myself have been able to solve other problems with their spyders. I hope that they are able to diagnose and repair your RT to your satisfaction in a short time.

Keep the faith.......hopefully BRP will step up to the plate, and make it right for you!

Have a great Day!

Mike
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scotty...saw this on another site and thought of you.

spyder rt performance sway bar - looking for installers

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...ance-sway-bar/

Spyder Garage

Default Scotty's Input

Sounds like a perfect opportunity Scotty. You should be compensated somehow and a free swaybar sounds fair to me. I'm sure many of us would be interested in your findings and the results of the different bar. I hope you consider this and they realize the value of your input.

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdminc View Post
    Scotty...saw this on another site and thought of you.

spyder rt performance sway bar - looking for installers

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...ance-sway-bar/
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler~ View Post
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity Scotty. You should be compensated somehow and a free swaybar sounds fair to me. I'm sure many of us would be interested in your findings and the results of the different bar. I hope you consider this and they realize the value of your input.
    Sorry, I don't think I meet the criteria. They are looking for the average installer. I am probably not that guy. Also, there is a time-frame problem. I have no idea when I will get my RTS back, and I think they are interested in someone ASAP. Too bad, freebies are neat!

When and if my Spyder is ever made safe to ride, I will get a sway bar to improve the handling even more. You can be sure I will report my results if I do.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The handling and the lack of brakes need to be addressed before this thing can be considered to be even remotely "road-worthy".
    Scotty,
    The brakes on my RT were not too good at first but now I have a little over 500 mi on the trike and the brakes seem fine. Could that be the problem with your RT, you just haven't ridden it enough.
    I've also noticed that the fuel consumption improved on mine from 25mpg to over 30mpg and still improving during the break-in period.
    Mine wallows a little bit and I will adjust the front shocks and see if that helps.

Bruce

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    Scotty,
    The brakes on my RT were not too good at first but now I have a little over 500 mi on the trike and the brakes seem fine. Could that be the problem with your RT, you just haven't ridden it enough.
    I've also noticed that the fuel consumption improved on mine from 25mpg to over 30mpg and still improving during the break-in period.
    Mine wallows a little bit and I will adjust the front shocks and see if that helps.

Bruce
    My brakes have gone the other way. Seemingly adequate at first (although they were never used hard), but failing fast as the miles (or load) increase. Takes three times the distance my wife's Spyder GS does to stop...I tested it. My mileage has improved a bit, too. Haven't broken 30 in 600 miles, though.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My brakes have gone the other way. Seemingly adequate at first (although they were never used hard), but failing fast as the miles (or load) increase. Takes three times the distance my wife's Spyder GS does to stop...I tested it. My mileage has improved a bit, too. Haven't broken 30 in 600 miles, though.
    I wish I was closer to you because I would love to see what you're talking about. I've had to do many panic stops on my RT and I can't say if it's the same as my RS but I have plenty of braking power and there is no way it takes 3 times the stopping distance as my RS. Your pads could be glazed over I guess but a good 50mph stomping on the brakes should fix that.

By the way I drove over the Grapevine yesterday and the high wind warning signs were flashing the whole way and the RT did fine, no worst than the cars and trucks on the road. Besides the wind it was one of the most relaxing rides I've had going from Hemet to Hollester.

Spyder Garage

Nancy's Toy

Not to flog a dead horse, but.................

How is it going ? Did you ever get your Spyder out of the dealer ?

Any updates on the brakes and other handling issues ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKS06460 View Post
    Nancy's Toy

Not to flog a dead horse, but.................

How is it going ? Did you ever get your Spyder out of the dealer ?

Any updates on the brakes and other handling issues ?
    Spyder still at dealer, tech is stumped, BRP took eight days to get back to him with some suggestions. Fuel gauge backordered. Tech has never done an alignment before. I have a bad feeling about this! Anyway, I don't expect to see the RTS again for at least a couple more weeks...if not a month. On the bright side, my trailer hitch finally came in. Now if I only had something to put it on. By the time I install that and get them to do the 600 mile service, it may be Memorial Day.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting it back from the dealer

Well at least when you get it back, the weather will be nice, warm, and time to ride.

Hope you get it back soon.

Westgl

Spyder Garage

I admire you Scotty, after all you've gone through, you can still find the bright side. I busted a gut when you posted that!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Misfiring

My 2009 roadster misfires also and once when I came to a stop it totally cut out and then revved back to life, and I was in first gear and it leaped forward. Scary. They said that the idle was not set high enough, so the mechanics changed that. Unfortunately it doesn't die out at the stop anymore but misfires when I change gears. I have had it into the shop twice now but they claim that it doesn't happen with them. It usually misfires when I have ridden it for a few miles, (maybe 50 at the most). I don't like the idle set this high, it is scary when after riding a few miles the idle is still running about 2800 rpms and I have to keep my foot on the brake hard. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my Spyder but I am concerned that with the Rpms running this high something is wrong somewhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    My 2009 roadster misfires also and once when I came to a stop it totally cut out and then revved back to life, and I was in first gear and it leaped forward. Scary. They said that the idle was not set high enough, so the mechanics changed that. Unfortunately it doesn't die out at the stop anymore but misfires when I change gears. I have had it into the shop twice now but they claim that it doesn't happen with them. It usually misfires when I have ridden it for a few miles, (maybe 50 at the most). I don't like the idle set this high, it is scary when after riding a few miles the idle is still running about 2800 rpms and I have to keep my foot on the brake hard. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my Spyder but I am concerned that with the Rpms running this high something is wrong somewhere.
    I was under the impression that there was no manual adjustment for the idle speed. That is, the idle speed is entirely under the control of the ECM. It would be interesting to know if the technician can change the idle speed with BUDS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    I was under the impression that there was no manual adjustment for the idle speed. That is, the idle speed is entirely under the control of the ECM. It would be interesting to know if the technician can change the idle speed with BUDS.
    That is my understanding, too. Lassie, it appears you need to find a better dealer. Your techs are not competent to work on the Spyder.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would think there is a cable adjustment on the throttlebody that would let you adjust the idle like you were turning the throttle.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabreitbach View Post
    I would think there is a cable adjustment on the throttlebody that would let you adjust the idle like you were turning the throttle.
    Nope it's all controled by the EMC. No calbes,, Unless the throttle cable
    was hangging up [return spring] at the handle bars that will keep the idle
    high. Just my two cents.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabreitbach View Post
    There might be a way to adjust the throttle actuator, but that would make it out of calibration for the rest of the throttle settings. No Spyder should idle at 2800 rpm! An SE won't downshift at that kind of number. Spec is 1400. The throttle actuator should be calibrated per the shop manual procedure. If the idle is not within specifications after that, the tech should troubleshoot and resolve the problem, not just do a workaround.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!