Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My dad wants one so I have some questions

Greetings,

While sitting around and watching march madness with my dad we have seen a few commericals for the spyder and he thought they were cool and started looking at one.

Now I've been riding sportbikes for a few years now (currently riding a ducati 848) but my dad has never been on a bike in his life. Is a spyder appropriate for a first time rider? It's on 3 wheels instead of 2 but how much like a true bike does it handle? (ie countersteering to make turns, leaning the bike etc) And whats with all the steering problems? (seen it refered to as the DPS problem) does it happen on all models?

haha guess im concerned for the ole guy and want to make sure he's making the right choice instead of being impulsive. That being said there is a factory event in my area this weekend and we will be attending and im sure I can get all my questions answered there, but I'd rather hear it firsthand from current owners.

Any and all insights would be appreciated

Ride safe!

Spyder Garage

Im 71 and just got a rts but have been riding motorcycles all my life but some people have never been on a mc at all and ride after they retire all love it.Rider safety cource is recomended but probable mandatory hope he goes for it he will love it

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

My wife took the motorcycle safety course and gor her license 9 years ago. She has never been on a bike except to sit behind me. Never wanted her own bike even though I offered many times to buy her one. She loves the Spyder and feels totally comfortable on the road. It does not handle like a motorcycle but it is a blast. Go for it I think he will love the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I had no previous experience, took a demo ride, and with in 5 minutes knew I had to have one.
    My wife said I could only have one toy, so I got rid of one of my cars and used the $ to pay cash for it. I would have got the
    trailer too, but all my motorcycle friends said I would use it just once and it would collect dust in the garage. After
    logging 2150 miles since Jan 29th, let me just say i will be ordering the trailer.

I took the Motorcycle safety course( even though in CA. not required) and read
    up on everything while I placed my order. I went to the dealership and practiced on their manual even though I ordered the
    automatic. which is the way to go for your Dad. Oh and one more thing. This is actually easier and faster to get comfortable
    with by having No prior motorcycle experience. Even my instructors said so.

In the Owners manual you can download ahead of time they have 10 pages devoted to practicing. Do all the stuff, make
    your own cones as I did, find a big empty parking lot.

this is THE MOST FUN I have experienced in my Life.I am so fortunate to have good weather, trouble free bike, I can use
    this for my work, ( I travel to different places everyday ) about 50 miles average. My favorite ride at Disneyland has always
    been the Utopia Cars ride, Well
    let me tell ya this tops it by a mile.

I have even found the caged drivers to be so courteous to me, maybe it's cuz they haven't seen it before. I don't know, but
    if I put my turn signal on,( which I always do.) they always make room

good luck, and let us now how it goes.

Spyder Garage

I'm 43 and been riding less than a year. The Spyder is my first motorcycle and I would recommend it for first-time riders. Having 3 wheels mitigates a lot of the risk that a rider on 2 wheels would be exposed to.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dolemite79 View Post
    Greetings,

While sitting around and watching march madness with my dad we have seen a few commericals for the spyder and he thought they were cool and started looking at one.

Now I've been riding sportbikes for a few years now (currently riding a ducati 848) but my dad has never been on a bike in his life. Is a spyder appropriate for a first time rider? It's on 3 wheels instead of 2 but how much like a true bike does it handle? (ie countersteering to make turns, leaning the bike etc) And whats with all the steering problems? (seen it refered to as the DPS problem) does it happen on all models?

haha guess im concerned for the ole guy and want to make sure he's making the right choice instead of being impulsive. That being said there is a factory event in my area this weekend and we will be attending and im sure I can get all my questions answered there, but I'd rather hear it firsthand from current owners.

Any and all insights would be appreciated

Ride safe!
    Well Now !!! Being 77 years of age and knowing of people who are very handicapped ride the Spyder.
    I would say, The spyder is as safe as one can be, due to its safety features.
    There are many Spyder riders who are first time riders.
    As to ride like a two wheeler... NOPE...

The smartest thing you and your father can do is to ride one. Go and ride at the dealer event. However, if your dad doesn't have a endorsement, or have a need for one as part of his Auto License, he can only ride the demo track. However, you most likely will be able to take the tour on the streets.
    Last edited by effgjamis; 03-19-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

I can't add much to what people have already said, but the Spyder is excellent for a first time rider. My wife was a new rider when she bought hers. Very different than a motorcycle, more like an ATV. You steer it, instead of countersteering and you shift or lean your body, instead of leaning the bike. A new rider has less to unlearn. Talk to the factory folks at the demo, take a demo ride, and if he decides to buy, have hime take the MSF course for the basic principles involved. Some parking lot practice with the skills course in the manual will get him the specific skills needed, then he can start out on the local streets until he is comfortable. He'll be hitting the highways in no time!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Great first ride

Spyder is a great way to go for first time riders since you have the stability of 3 wheels on the ground. The handling characteristics are easily learned, especially if you don't have to "unlearn" two wheeled riding. My spouse did her first ride on the Spyder in the fall of 2008 at age 64. Had never ridden a motorcycle, and said she never would. She would not even ride two up with me. Turned out she loved it, got her own, and put 10,000 miles on it in her rookie year.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red