Spyder Garage

Default Headset Wiring Pin Out

Got my CB/Intercom set today and will install Friday. Pinned out the connector to the headset and the other end to the 8-pin rectangular plug. I then hooked up a male to male plug and plugged it into my Blackberry playing music to if I had it right with the J&M Vision lower cord and headset.

Looking into the round DIN female headset plug and placing the slot at 6pm this is what I got. 1 is next to the slot on the left and 7 is on the right of the slot and 4 is at 12 O'clock.

1 = Green
    2 = Black
    3 = Orange
    4 = Brown
    5 = White
    6 = Red
    7 = Blue

Left speaker = Brown and Black or Black and Brown or brown and orange
    Right speaker = Black and Blue

This is where it get's interesting. Just using ground on the stereo plug and one channel (tip or middle) you get the following:
    Brown and Blue plays in both ears
    Brown and Orange play in the left ear.

It was late and I didn't test out the microphone but I am sure there will be some surprises.

My goal is to have my radar only go into one ear on my helmet and not into the passenger system. I will tap the appropriate lines and use resistors to keep the signal from going back into the system.

If I'm lucky I'll get it figured out and completed Friday.

If not oh well we'll ride this weekend with out radar but everything else done.

Ride safe friends.

Lonnie
    "May all your tomorrows, and miles, be better than all your yesterdays." LH

Spyder Garage

Good info.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lonnie,

Ed Davis from EdSets here. Perhaps we can complete this with enough info to know what's going to work with the Spyder and what won't! Several folks have contacted me for headsets for the bike and I have not found a local owner so that I could do some testing.

There are a couple of scenarios that might apply here. First, there may be a single common ground for speakers, or a separate ground for each. That means either 3 or 4 lines dedicated to the speakers. If the mic is typical, only two lines, and they may or may not have DC power on the lines to drive a headset-based mic preamp or 'amplified mic' as some call it. It's there to give the system a 'line level' input instead of what we used to think of as a 'phono level' input. Dynamic mics like Goldwing and Venture make 5-20mV signals, but the systems on some bikes need as much as 2.5V signal levels, so a preamp is built into the headsets, and often, you'll find a 1K-Ohm resistor in the lower cable on those systems, and some single-digit DC voltage on the mic lines.

Easiest way to check things: Use the headset lower cable 7-Pin end only, and probe it with a meter that beeps or makes a sound when you have continuity, and it will make the speakers sound off as you probe them. The speaker grounds won't be on chassis, so probe pin 1, then look at 2-7, then probe 2, look at 1-7 except 2, and so on till you find both speakers. The mic, if it's a dynamic like on a Goldwing, will sound off like a small speaker once you find it. With the bike live, probe all of the 7-Pins on the headset jack, and look for 2-8 V DC on the lines, if you find it, that's the mic lines and the system needs a mic preamp in the headsets. By probing the headset itself, you will find the dynamic mic sounds off, or you will find a preamp in the headset with maybe 1k-Ohm impedance.

The speakers will look like 8-32 Ohms if you use resistance setting on the meter, and the dynamic mic will look like 200-400 Ohms unless it's a pre-amp driven one, and in that case, look for 1K-Ohm on the mic lines.

Hopefully that will help in your search. If you know anyone with a Spyder in Dayton Ohio area, I'll do free headsets for the first rider to let me do this myself

Ed
    ed@edsets.com
    Last edited by edsetsdude; 03-17-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Great technical information, Ed. thanks so much, and Welcome to our little group of Spyder nuts. Fred Rau has stated that you need a high output mike or you will need to turn the headset volume way up, so I suspect an amplified mike is standard. His posting is under "Important Corrections" on Fred's Blog.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default thank you Ed for the info

will try that tomorrow and will post the test results and final and Friday I will hook it and try. Lonnie
    "May all your tomorrows, and miles, be better than all your yesterdays." LH

Spyder Garage

I've been thinking about a pigtail to plug in a cell phone. My wife has been trying a bluetooth ear bud system but would rather be able to use it through the helmet. That is if we ever get our BRP headsets.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715