Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPG's

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question MPG's

I've read several post saying that some of you aren't getting but 24-25 mpg's. I've checked my RT-S with just about every fill up and I'm getting 31 mpg's (and that's including a few burn-outs)! I rode a 1200 Voyager and it got better mpg but it wasn't anywhere near the ride I have now.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I started using 87 octane, and I'm getting consistently around 30 mpg. Admittedly I've been all over the board though. I've had anywhere from 27 to 31 mpg. I would think it's how I've been riding. I do find it a bit interesting that I would be getting as good or comparable mpg's when using the lesser octane. 2000 miles on my RTS.

Spyder Garage

On my new RT I'm only getting about 25 mpg but I hope to see that go up as the new motor breaks in. Being a SE might have some effect on the mileage too.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I've been averaging about 25. As low as 21, but one tank of all two-lane highway riding of near 30. It seems to be creeping upwards as it gets broken in. I honestly wouldn't expect more with winter formulated gas in Michigan. I would like more, but I am not surprised at this. Nancy's GS has only averaged 29+ over these two years. Just like my old BMW with the three gallon tank...every 100 miles you look for a gas station.

BillGargan

I have been know to preach on this subject . . .

In general, engines designed for regular fuel will not produce better MPG with higher octane fuels. Any reports to the contrary are scientifically unsupportable and anecdotal. Usually the result of inferior MPG measurement tracking by the single tank refill -- which is particularly error prone on the Spyder.

On the other hand, engines designed for higher octane fuel may or may not produce different MPG readings. If you use regular in one of these engines the computers may make adjustments that allow it's use without impacting MPG. But, you are likely to incur the pinging that happens when an engine is operating with too low an octane fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I started using 87 octane, and I'm getting consistently around 30 mpg. Admittedly I've been all over the board though. I've had anywhere from 27 to 31 mpg. I would think it's how I've been riding. I do find it a bit interesting that I would be getting as good or comparable mpg's when using the lesser octane. 2000 miles on my RTS.

RT-S PE#783
    Spyder Garage

Default MPG

Cat and I are taking our RT-S in for its first service tomorrow w/1100 miles on it. Most of our riding has been 2 up on canyon roads with a little bit of 4 lane thrown in. We have has a best of 30 and a low of 26.5 . . . I'd like to see 35mpg, but the alcohol fuel is hard on my VL 1500 Suzuki, so I can only hope. I am hoping that the service has some positive effect on the mpg, but I doubt they will be checking the mapping or anything else. What a fun machine. . . . Oh, by the way, this is the auto-clutch version.
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I've been averaging about 25. As low as 21, but one tank of all two-lane highway riding of near 30. It seems to be creeping upwards as it gets broken in. I honestly wouldn't expect more with winter formulated gas in Michigan. I would like more, but I am not surprised at this. Nancy's GS has only averaged 29+ over these two years. Just like my old BMW with the three gallon tank...every 100 miles you look for a gas station.
    How many miles do you have on your RT now?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    How many miles do you have on your RT now?
    Only about 450...but I'm working on while the sun is shining...finally. Still having a problem with plugs fouiling and slight misfiring, so that may be killing the mileage. Gonna look for a bad plug wire next.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of you seem to have had an RS before you got into the RT. Could you give us some idea if there is any significant differences in the mpg we could expect? Thanx!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post
    I have been know to preach on this subject . . .
    In general, engines designed for regular fuel will not produce better MPG with higher octane fuels. Any reports to the contrary are scientifically unsupportable and anecdotal. Usually the result of inferior MPG measurement tracking by the single tank refill -- which is particularly error prone on the Spyder.

On the other hand, engines designed for higher octane fuel may or may not produce different MPG readings. If you use regular in one of these engines the computers may make adjustments that allow it's use without impacting MPG. But, you are likely to incur the pinging that happens when an engine is operating with too low an octane fuel.
    Ah yes, Octane the misunderstood additive! Octane is added to slow the burn/explosion in the cylinder. Lower compression engines burn the fuel quickly and use lower octane. Higher compression engines like the Spyder need for the fuel to burn slower and therefore more completely. Using a high (more expensive) octane fuel in an engine that is designed and engineered for a lower octane will foul the engine with unburned fuel. And on the other hand, using a lower octane fuel in an engine engineered for higher will result in pre-mature burning of the fuel, loss of power and knocking. None of which is good for the engine.
    Bottom line, use what the engineers designed the engine for!
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

Default MPG

I posted elsewhere at 7000mi. my wife is consistently getting 31mpg . just got back from 1500mi. trip pulling trailer she got 30-31mpg . and engine still seems tight nowhere broken in yet.Handled The Three Twisred Sisters Great, she had my Venture throwing sparks a time or two, she has 95000mi. on goldwing trikes 1500 got worse mpg, the 2007 1800 got 34mpg everyday so I guess we split the difference and she says she doesnt feel old on the RTS, just ask a group of HD Riders who tried to keep up with us on Texas FM337 last Sat., she drove away from them, front shocks at stiffest setting , front tires at 20psi. ,replaced rear tire when we got home with Nitto 450 .

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post
    I posted elsewhere at 7000mi. my wife is consistently getting 31mpg . just got back from 1500mi. trip pulling trailer she got 30-31mpg . and engine still seems tight nowhere broken in yet.Handled The Three Twisred Sisters Great, she had my Venture throwing sparks a time or two, she has 95000mi. on goldwing trikes 1500 got worse mpg, the 2007 1800 got 34mpg everyday so I guess we split the difference and she says she doesnt feel old on the RTS, just ask a group of HD Riders who tried to keep up with us on Texas FM337 last Sat., she drove away from them, front shocks at stiffest setting , front tires at 20psi. ,replaced rear tire when we got home with Nitto 450 .
    The best I have gotten with mine is 26.5 with premium fuel. I have 1800 miles on it now and do a lot of interstate driving at 80 mph. What rpm range do you operate in and what type of fuel do you use to get 31 mpg?
    2020 RTL

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post
    The best I have gotten with mine is 26.5 with premium fuel. I have 1800 miles on it now and do a lot of interstate driving at 80 mph. What rpm range do you operate in and what type of fuel do you use to get 31 mpg?
    Keep in mind that it is not just the rpm, but the speed. The increase in drag (and thus horsepower requirements) is an exponential function of the speed. Thus, as the speed doubles, the drag quadruples, and the gasoline requirement to feed those horses goes up rapidly.

Spyder Garage

Default MPG

She runs the speed limit or better, 75mph on I-10 no less, have not seen a difference in mileage on octane differences, did see increase in mileage at approx. 2500-3000 mi. she was only getting 26-27mpg before that,of course you can make it get worse, she does NOT baby this bike but not abuse it either, our friends SE mileage has picked up also with time I believe they are very tight engines new, be patient as I said she has 7000mi. now having got hers Jan. 5.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post
    She runs the speed limit or better, 75mph on I-10 no less, have not seen a difference in mileage on octane differences, did see increase in mileage at approx. 2500-3000 mi. she was only getting 26-27mpg before that,of course you can make it get worse, she does NOT baby this bike but not abuse it either, our friends SE mileage has picked up also with time I believe they are very tight engines new, be patient as I said she has 7000mi. now having got hers Jan. 5.
    Thanks, I ride almost everyday so it want be long till the mileage gets up there.
    2020 RTL

RT-S PE#0032
    Spyder Garage

I was watching "Wild Hogs" again last night (yeah...I know)

anywho: there's the sceen right after woody blows up the biker bar, when the guys want to stop for gas & refreshments. of course they missed seeing the sign "200 miles to next gas" so they ran out. I sat there thinking.... I couldn't even make that on my RT if I did fill up
    Last edited by 2Gunns; 03-25-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 32 mpg average 600 miles on odometer

I am on my way to get the 600 mile service done this morning. I have been surprised at the gas mileage-It is better than I expected. Though I have only started tracking MPG for the last three fill-ups, I am not at all unhappy with the 32 mpg average so far.

I hope after the service and the break-in period that it doesn't get worse. What is a realistic distance you can travel on one tank going highway speeds(65 -70 mph)? I am doing a 300 mile ride next Saturday-an Iron Butt Training ride my group is calling it, and am curious how often I will need to stop. Can I do it on one tank up and one tank back?

Thanks all for the great information I have been getting, and now with the handbrake and boards I am looking forward to many pain-free enjoyable miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile 30mpg

I have about 800 miles on my RT. When I started out, I was getting 25mpg. As the break-in progressed the fuel usage went to 30mpg. I also felt a significant increase in power. I'll finally get to the dealer to get my 600mi checkup (a little late) next week.
    I still love my ISCI Handbrake I'll be getting some highway pegs when they come off the production line; then I'll be ready to ride, ride, ride BRP ought to put these brakes on ALL of their Spyders.
    Bootie

Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

Talking

My gas mileage is very steady!

I fill it up, drive around until the gauge shows "E" and repeat.

If gas mileage was a worry, I'd buy a tricycle with pedals.

V.

Spyder Garage

Gas mileage tank to tank isn't important, it's the trend. I used to use my mileage to determine when a tune up (points, plugs, de-carb with a bottle of water down the carburetor) was needed (since 1967). Now I just use it to determine when the computer needs an adjustment (O2 sensor, ram air etc). For those who want to keep track of your trends and history, I offer the attached spreadsheet. Been using it for about 6 years on various vehicles.
    Instructions: Enter Date, Gallons, and Cost. COPY cells (in green) Price/Gal, Miles/gal and Cost per mile. Calculates Price/gal (I added this for those times in my car when I really need gas, but don't want to pay the price I'm stuck with, just a couple of gallons to get me to work. Add the gallons and cost to both fills to get total). Calculates the MPG AND Cost per mile. This is interesting and may help to determine if that extra cost gas is really saving you money, or if the 87 octane is REALLY cheaper. I've added an Octane column to keep track of that too. Remember, the Octane data shows up on the next fill.
    If anyone has any suggestions to make this work better, please let me know. As I said, I've been using it for about 6 years, so I am oblivious to any flaws. Not that there should BE any!

After downloading, change the extension (spyder_gas.txt) to .xls
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I see some of you are using 87 octane. I thought the RT was supposed to use 91(min.) octane. Due to the higher compression of 12.2:1
    You could have spark knock and not here it due to wind and other noise. Hope you don't damage your engine.

Spyder Garage

Default Mileage

Wife still getting 30-31 steady 87 oct., am only tracking so closely ,pulling trailer, because are looking at a trip from Southeast Texas to Alaska , not sure if will be this summer or next, our son in the service is coming home from overseas to Seattle , too tempting not to go the rest of the way to Alaska, I know there are stretches where a Spyder could get REAL low on fuel, I will be pulling our Bunkhouse with my Yamaha Venture,I can get 36 pulling the camper 5.8 gal. cap. so I guess we will both be about empty 180mi., wife has already been 180 a couple of times, looks like we will be carrying gas .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mileage & Trip

Cyclemom--glad to see you are taking the long trip. We too are going to travel from Vermont to CA next summer. We just bought the bike in late April and are loving the ride. We both drive. Traded in both our bikes for the RT. No regrets so far but are definitely new to this method of riding. 600 mile Checkup next week. It has been very interesting to read all the messages and we are learning so much. If the weather breaks here in Vermont, we are looking forward to a lot of riding.

RT-S PE#0516
    Spyder Garage

Default Almost don't believe it!!

We ride about 99.5% two up. We would average 25-27 mpg ... NEVER 30 mpg. I replaced the air filter at about 2000 miles (now have 3300miles) with a "High Performance Green Air Filter" from ESI [http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spyd...ilterkit.html].

So now we average 30-32 mpg with a noticeable increase in quickness of throttle response. We always use the recommended high octane gas. We have not changed anything else but the new air filter. This is our experience consistently for the last 1300 miles. Anyone else have similar results?

Tony

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The first 600 miles on our rt we only got about 22-25 mpg. now after 1500 mi avg is 31-32mpg. usually run around 150 mi. per fill up but never put in more that 4.7 gal. even though guage says about empty. I thought I would hold 6.5gal?... Probably could run another 50 or so miles on a tank.. Thats riding 2 up 60% of the time and not taking it easy.

Now truthfully people? did you really buy a spyder for gas mileage? Does it bother you that you have to run prem. fuel for your prem. engine? I run 91 or 93 octane because that is what the engine is designed for.