Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS for RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 660 does go through radio via audio input

I purchased Garmin ZUMO 660 GPS for around $630 from cheapest place I could find and the Kewl Gismo mount from Kewl metals. The Garmin ZUMO 660 GPS has a built-in MP3 player (takes place of Ipod) for your listening pleasure. The Garmin requires a 12 volt power source and has an audio out plug that plugs directly into the audio input located in the rear luggage compartment. This audio input feeds directly into the AM/FM radio thus the audio does play through the system. The mp3 mutes when the GPS is giving direction as does the radio...just like a dealer install would do. It works great!!!!!

I chose not to purchase the $125 extra harness required. When I was doing a pin-out for my trailer hookup, I discovered that pin B on the HD10 connnector located on the underside of the left saddlebag is a switched 12V source. It is an orange wire and I traced it back up and under the seat. I hooked the 12V red lead coming from the Garmin to this orange wire (I believe this is CIC2B-B on the wiring diagram for the Lights and Harness. I then put a ring connector on the black Garmin wire and grounded it with the other grounds to a bolt on the right side of bike under the seat. The 3.5 mm audio out wire from the Garmin is not long enough to make it all the way to the rear luggage bag so I bought a 6 foot 3.5mm male to female extension cable. The rest of the wires from the Garmin are not needed for the installation so they get taped up. Anyway, this was not an easy install. The dealer says 1.5 hours and I guess my friend and I had around 20 hours! Most of the panels must come off, all the wires need to be dressed out once the rough-in is complete. I drilled the center pop out on the steering out and then cut a slit to the outside so I could feed the Garmin wire through the hole. A rubber bushing will go around the wire and seal up the hole. Another post I read talks about the Garmin 660 not mounting flat on the Kewl mount. I found this to be true also. I put spacers on the back which required 4 longer screws but hey, that's cheap compared to the $500 I'm saving by not going through BRP.

Anyway, I know I glossed over my install really quick. But what I really wanted everyone to know is that the Garmin 660 can be hooked up and work like it is supposed to without going to the dealer and without buying the additional harness.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm in the same camp...

Quote Originally Posted by hdmod View Post
    Well I see how you did that set up-----but for $60 I got the little harness and plugged it into the matching plug under the right bag and that was it. That keeps the rear audio plug in the trunk free for Ipod or other inputs.
    I ordered the plug (they get $64.99 for it now). After all my years as a shade tree mechanic, building and busting cars, I have reverted to keeping things as simple as possible. There was a time a time when I loved getting my knuckles busted; now I'd rather ride than repair.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hdmod View Post
    Well I see how you did that set up-----but for $60 I got the little harness and plugged it into the matching plug under the right bag and that was it. That keeps the rear audio plug in the trunk free for Ipod or other inputs.
    For $60 I believe I'd get it too but my dealer wanted to sell me another harness, I'm guessing. Just one thing that I think bears repeating. The ZUMO 660 has its own IPOD or MP3 player if you will and it has capability to add 16GB mini disk. It plays my prerecorded music while the GPS is being used and when the GPS is giving directions, it automatically mutes. Very cool.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default gps

I was looking into the 665. Looks like I need more looking into.

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    I purchased my Garmin Zumo660 directly from Garmin...not BRP, at around $500 savings. Here in my hand is the only thing you will need to complete the electrical/audio connection for the non-BRP 660. BRP part Number 710 002 182, around $60 from your dealer. Heat shrink included. It's an easy install. I bought the mount from KewelMetal. It almost fits the 660..not quite. The back of the Garmin mount that the 660 attaches to isn't flat on the back, it is notched I solved that problem by fabricating spacers the same depth as the notch. Voila' works great, looks great and I have sound in my RT audio system....Oh yes.. I did buy the corrugated conduit to protect the wiring harness from a local West Marine Store..... Len
    sorry to revive an old thread .. so this connector the purple one plus direct into back of a NON CanAM Garmin 660?

so just this cable plugged into the Garmin 660 (NON BRP) and audio plugged into the Garmin 660 headphone out jack and done ? after mounting?