Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS for RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default GPS for RT-S

After some interesting riding this past weekend, I'm convinced that I need to get a GPS. Assuming I get the Garmin 660 model, will I be able to get audio through the RT speaker system or do I have to have the CB unit arrangement? My RT-S doesn't have the CB, XM setup.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    After some interesting riding this past weekend, I'm convinced that I need to get a GPS. Assuming I get the Garmin 660 model, will I be able to get audio through the RT speaker system or do I have to have the CB unit arrangement? My RT-S doesn't have the CB, XM setup.

Glynnk
    If you get the BRP GPS, you should get the audio. Not sure if you need the entertainment harness. If you buy a Garmin elsewhere, you will not get the audio though your system.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I ordered both the Garmin Zumo 660 GPS and XM radio from BRP. Both were installed and required the wiring harness. The sound DOES go through the radio system on the spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post

Glynnk
    I'm thinking of upgrading my MMGS I just don't know what to upgrade too.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 660 Mounting

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I ordered both the Garmin Zumo 660 GPS and XM radio from BRP. Both were installed and required the wiring harness. The sound DOES go through the radio system on the spyder.
    "...the wiring harness..." Is this a harness that comes with the 660 or is a BRP accessory?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRyder View Post
    "...the wiring harness..." Is this a harness that comes with the 660 or is a BRP accessory?
    My GPS was installed about a month ago and talks through the external speakers just like the AM/FM radio system.

This is where I found what comes in the box when you order the 660:

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...sinstallation/
    Last edited by TicketBait; 04-02-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: link info for proper credit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hdmod View Post
    This GPS costs how much from BRP??? $1100.00???? GULP!!!!
    I don't believe that includes installation either
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This GPS costs how much from BRP??? $1100.00???? GULP!!!!
    GPS was a $3000.00 option on my car a few years ago!.....needless to say I didn't take it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 660 Installation

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    My GPS was installed about a month ago and talks through the external speakers just like the AM/FM radio system.

This is what comes in the box when you order the 660:

GARMIN BOX CONTENTS

• Zumo 660
    • Carrying Case
    • Battery Pack
    • Automotive Suction Mount
    • Automotive 12volt Power Cord
    • Zuumo Cradle & RT Wiring Harness
    • RAM Base Mount & Double Socket Arm
    • RAM Clutch,Brake,U-Bolt Kit
    • City Navigator North America NT Software DVD
    • Zumo Manual
    You installed yourself? Any difficulties or suggestions?

Spyder Garage

You installed yourself? Any difficulties or suggestions?
    no, I did not, my dealership did, but here is the link if you wanna do your own install

Last edited by TicketBait; 04-02-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: linked instructions for proper credit to Spydertalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS

I have like three gps systems I don’t want to buy another just for the rt that I just bought. I want to use the same one I use in my truck a 1390t Garmin. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?
    Reconscout Woodbridge VA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reconscout View Post
    I have like three gps systems I don’t want to buy another just for the rt that I just bought. I want to use the same one I use in my truck a 1390t Garmin. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?
    Reconscout Woodbridge VA
    I use the same GPS unit in both cars, on my BMW motorcycle, and on both Spyders. You will need an appropriate mount for the motorcycle. I made a simple RAM mount. Kewlmetal sells a relatively universal mounting bracket, if you prefer something other than the RAM mounts. If you use the RAM mount, you will need a cradle for your GPS, and an extension arm to suit. GPS City sells a Nuvi 1390T cradle and accessories. You will also need to wire for power, or add a power outlet near the front, and an adapter to the GPS. If you want audio in your helmet speakers or in place of the music on your Spyder RT audio system, you will need to add appropriate cables and connectors. Please not that only the factory GPS is integrated to the Spyder audio system, although if you have the CB/Comm System, Lamont has devised a way to connect an audio source though the headset plug, and that could be used for the GPS. Sorry, I did not find that thread in my quick search.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 3.5MM 6-pin connector...Help

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    no, I did not, my dealership did, but here is the link if you wanna do your own install

Does anyone know how to obtain the 3.5mm 6-pin connector that comes with the BRP Garmin 660 kit which serves to connect the Garmin harness to the vehicle harness audio out plug near the rear seat? I don't have the part number, but even if I did, BRP is probably not going to sell it so as to force you to buy the entire kit. That was the position they took when my dealer tried to obtain the mount that came with the kit.

Anyone abandon or upgrade their 660 and have a connector for sale?

Anyone know if this connector can be duplicated by an electronics specialty supplier?

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know how to obtain the 3.5mm 6-pin connector that comes with the BRP Garmin 660 kit which serves to connect the Garmin harness to the vehicle harness audio out plug near the rear seat? I don't have the part number, but even if I did, BRP is probably not going to sell it so as to force you to buy the entire kit. That was the position they took when my dealer tried to obtain the mount that came with the kit.

Anyone know if this connector can be duplicated by an electronics specialty supplier?
    Having never seen the 660, I cannot say for certain which plug that is. My Zumo 550 uses a mini USB cable between the XM antenna and the Zumo. The power cable is a round multi pin cable (don't recall the number of pins, but think it may be 4) & I have purchased an extra power cable along with an extra motorcycle cradle. I can now use the Zumo 550 & XM on both my RT & Goldwing. Both are set up to run through the bike's audio systems. On the RT, I ran a simple male 3.5mm (1/8") stereo plug out the audio out jack on the cradle, routed the cable to a female 3.5mm jack I mounted in the rear trunk wall a couple of inches below the Aux In jack, and then used the BRP supplied cable that plugs between the Aux In jack and the one I installed just below it. I then switch the RT's audio to Aux Input and listen to XM, the built in MP3 player @ navigation over the external and/or helmet headsets. I can also place/receive and listen to cell phone calls since my Zumo connects to my cell via Bluetooth. I don't yet know how to access the microphone to allow me to talk over the phone. (I also installed the BRP CB/Intercom system, so I have the headset jacks for both the driver & passenger.)
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

If you have an RTS, you should have received this connector, as well as the iPod connector, with your Spyder. Otherwise, it is available from your dealer.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default gps install

I saw a video on the gps install and if you have time and a little knowledge it doesn't look all that complicated. there is a bit of body work that has to come of though. they said that it should only take a couple hours. look on the BRP site for that video. good luck.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Does this Zumo 660 bluetooth up with the factory radio?????
    No Bluetooth on the factory radio. A real downfall in my eyes.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Maybe you are thinking of the cargo connector?

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you have an RTS, you should have received this connector, as well as the iPod connector, with your Spyder. Otherwise, it is available from your dealer.
    What I am looking for is the 3.5mm to flat 6-pin connector that is designed to to join the Garmin 660 harness to the connector under the passenger seat, right side. There's a picture of it in the first part of the two segment youtube video ([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRH4JP7fmZU[/ame]) at about 3 mins. into the video.

You are correct that there is a 3.5mm 7-pin circular connector that can be used in the rear cargo area...and yes, I did receive that one with my RT-S. If that plug could accomplish the same thing, I could run all the way back to the cargo area and go that route. I think I'll purchase a 3.5mm extension from Radio Shack and give it a rough test; can't hurt. Got me thinking, Scotty...
    Last edited by 3Ryder; 05-07-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

What I am looking for is the 3.5mm to flat 6-pin connector that is designed to to join the Garmin 660 harness to the connector under the passenger seat, right side. There's a picture of it in the first part of the two segment youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRH4JP7fmZU) at about 3 mins. into the video.

You are correct that there is a 3.5mm 7-pin circular connector that can be used in the rear cargo area...and yes, I did receive that one with my RT-S. If that plug could accomplish the same thing, I could run all the way back to the cargo area and go that route. I think I try to see if I have enough lead to give it a rough test. Got me thinking, Scotty...
    If you bought the BRP GPS, you should have received the connector with the kit. If you have a standard GPS, you will have to get a 3.5 mm extention cable and connect to the aux audio cable in the rear compartment. Szorry, I misunderstood your original intention.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users Ken5517 / Wish Again's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What I am looking for is the 3.5mm to flat 6-pin connector that is designed to to join the Garmin 660 harness to the connector under the passenger seat, right side. There's a picture of it in the first part of the two segment youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRH4JP7fmZU) at about 3 mins. into the video.

You are correct that there is a 3.5mm 7-pin circular connector that can be used in the rear cargo area...and yes, I did receive that one with my RT-S. If that plug could accomplish the same thing, I could run all the way back to the cargo area and go that route. I think I'll purchase a 3.5mm extension from Radio Shack and give it a rough test; can't hurt. Got me thinking, Scotty...
    VegasRyder the 3.5mm that you are refering to comes with the BRP garman in the box as part of the BRP system.

I do not believe that BRP sells that part only.

Spyder Garage

Ok---now I am really getting confused. To get the Garmin sound through the speakers you have to hard wire it to the back trunk???? Then where do I pipe the Ipod into???? I got to adapters in that came with mine. The 3.5 and the Ipod. Only one round pin socket though.
    I doubt you're going to be able to get both, without either a BRP GPS...or an auxiliary comm system. You can only put so many eggs in one basket.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Adaptor Harness

I purchased my Garmin Zumo660 directly from Garmin...not BRP, at around $500 savings. Here in my hand is the only thing you will need to complete the electrical/audio connection for the non-BRP 660. BRP part Number 710 002 182, around $60 from your dealer. Heat shrink included. It's an easy install. I bought the mount from KewelMetal. It almost fits the 660..not quite. The back of the Garmin mount that the 660 attaches to isn't flat on the back, it is notched I solved that problem by fabricating spacers the same depth as the notch. Voila' works great, looks great and I have sound in my RT audio system....Oh yes.. I did buy the corrugated conduit to protect the wiring harness from a local West Marine Store..... Len

Ok---now I am really getting confused. To get the Garmin sound through the speakers you have to hard wire it to the back trunk???? Then where do I pipe the Ipod into???? I got to adapters in that came with mine. The 3.5 and the Ipod. Only one round pin socket though.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Exactly what I was searching for...

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    I purchased my Garmin Zumo660 directly from Garmin...not BRP, at around $500 savings. Here in my hand is the only thing you will need to complete the electrical/audio connection for the non-BRP 660. BRP part Number 710 002 182, around $60 from your dealer. Heat shrink included. It's an easy install. I bought the mount from KewelMetal. It almost fits the 660..not quite. The back of the Garmin mount that the 660 attaches to isn't flat on the back, it is notched I solved that problem by fabricating spacers the same depth as the notch. Voila' works great, looks great and I have sound in my RT audio system....Oh yes.. I did buy the corrugated conduit to protect the wiring harness from a local West Marine Store..... Len
    Thanks much. Are you aware if the dealer had any difficulties in placing the order? Curious because BRP absolutely refused to sell another related kit part separately - the mount - even though we had the part number. I ended up combining the Kewl mount and the Touratech locking mount and am happy with that solution.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Cheers!

Spyder Garage

Default not purchased from brp install

have seen several threads of zumos 660s purchased....not from brp and used with a kewlmetal bracket.....question. how is the install accomplished. where is the unit connected to a power source, and how is it routed?
    thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Re: GPS Adaptor harness

The harness, pn: 710 002 182, can be ordered by the dealer, no problem. That's where I got mine. You cannot, however order the BRP GPS support, pn: 709 400 662. Not yet... I've tried on several occasions to get the suppport. My dealer service manager made a personal call on my behalf to BRP, they will not sell it seperately. He was informed that they have had so many request's for their support they plan to start selling the part seperately in Oct. Go figure...why Oct??? So, KewelMetal came to my rescue. Keeping in mind, there has to be some additions made to the KM support since it is flat and the back of the Garmin 660 connection isn't flat. Easily attained spacers work just fine and looks nice.
    Now we're getting somewhere!!!! That is the wire I was looking for!! That is priceless info!!!!! Thanks man. I knew there has to be a way to be listening to the Ipod and have the garmin cut into the system for directions or bluetooth phone!!!! YEAH!!!!!