Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Replace Horn on the Spyder RT?

Hi ... RT PE 391 is a great machine with only a couple of 'I wish's.' One of them is that I wish it didn't have such an anemic horn. It just sort of goes "hoot" with not much volume. Has anyone considered replacing theirs' and with what?

Paul

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Hi ... RT PE 391 is a great machine with only a couple of 'I wish's.' One of them is that I wish it didn't have such an anemic horn. It just sort of goes "hoot" with not much volume. Has anyone considered replacing theirs' and with what?

Paul
    Don't see why this wouldn't work on an RT... mount location may be different but still...:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7&postcount=81
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Yeesh ... electrical probs? Bus system? Air horn?

Umm ...perhaps just a better electrical solution that replaces the stock horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Umm ...perhaps just a better electrical solution that replaces the stock horn.
    You didn't say you wanted easy... you said loud.

Whatever you put on the stock circuitry will still be anemic... you need amperage to drive a good horn.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Horn Anemia

You're most probably right, AtaDude ... I'm gonna need to get smart on this, to include knowing where my RT horn is at. As a new owner, and not a bike mech, I'm a bit reserved to start digging around. I've already had the 'thrill' of pushing the rubber grommets through the faring mounts when checking oil.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Don't see why this wouldn't work on an RT... mount location may be different but still...:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7&postcount=81

Thanks ataDude for the layout. I've had one of these horns for awhile. Looks pretty straight forward and easy to follow. What gauge wire did you use for the horn install? Regards Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Thanks ataDude for the layout. I've had one of these horns for awhile. Looks pretty straight forward and easy to follow. What gauge wire did you use for the horn install? Regards Dennis
    14 gauge minimum for the power. Use the current horn wire for the relay trigger.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Stebel in place of stock horn

When we had the front trunk off I replaced the stock horn with the Stebel. It required opening the hole for the horn to protrude some but it wasn't bad and I strenghtened the horn bracket and added the relay in the same area. as a result I ran a separate ground and positive with 14g wire from from the battery and it works great.

Taking the front trunk out wasn't bad and getting the panels around the horn out was easy. See a couple of photos below.

Lonnie
    "May all your tomorrows, and miles, be better than all your yesterdays." LH