Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default My turn with steering issues

Well, it happened.
    Had my bike in for a 12K service before daytona, and they did the ECM update / vent reroute, as well as the DPS software update. It had a few coughs in the engine, but I figured Id give it time to reset (maybe???)

The real issue was about 100 miles outta Houston on the way to Daytona. I was changing lanes from left to right, and the steering was quite "stiff" when applying left turn. When the DPS kicked in, it tried to launch me into the left lane again!!!! It happened a couple more times and convinced me I wasnt makin it up in my head.
    I loaded it on the chase truck / trailer we had and continued on to Daytona, where the dealer there zeroed my steering, which seemed to work great for the rest of the week. On the way home, I got about another 100 miles and it happened again so I flopped it back on the trailer and headed for home. The dealership has a DPS unit on order now.
    Ill let ya'll know how it turns out.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    Well, it happened...
    Sorry that it happened to you. Good luck on getting it fixed!

And, don't blame the black wheels.

Spyder Garage

Not Good......

Glad you are ok and you didn't have an a collision or crash!

Good luck with getting it fixed... please keep us updated.

Thanks, ryde safe (trailer it) and good luck.
    Cheers.

(BRP - Where are you with progress on a absolute fix for the Dynamic Power Steering problems??)

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Obviously there is a correlation between update 1+2 and the DPS failure.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you have been added to the list of those with steering problems. I hope they are able to get it resolved for you quickly so you can be back to ryding again.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    And, don't blame the black wheels.

Thats funny! thats exactly what i was gonna do....LOL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Obviously there is a correlation between update 1+2 and the DPS failure.
    As I understand it, and I could be way off base, There is a known issue with some of the older DPS units that doesnt show until the DPS software update. If it was bad, it fails, if it wasnt, all is well. The problem lies in the fact that BRP will not authorize a DPS change under warranty until the software update has been applied and a failure documented, regardless of if it throws a code or not.
    Someones gonna get hurt, if they havent already.

Spyder Garage

As I understand it, and I could be way off base, There is a known issue with some of the older DPS units that doesnt show until the DPS software update. If it was bad, it fails, if it wasnt, all is well. The problem lies in the fact that BRP will not authorize a DPS change under warranty until the software update has been applied and a failure documented, regardless of if it throws a code or not.
    And it also has to do with the update and the way the update now tells the DPS to look at (or not look at......) the GPS (Gear position sensor). Been down this road. If your dealer has done a few and has a good BRP tech that thinks outside the manual , they will get it fixed correctly. Both ours did it and once correctly done (new GPS sensors also) they have been trouble free.
    Last edited by widowmaker2011; 03-10-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Way2Fast

Large companies like Toyota will probably survive the issues they are having. Not so with BRP !! Their PWC and outboard sales are in the dumps. Spyder sales are nothing to brag about. Injuries and fatalities are bound to occur with the Spyder's ongoing steering problems. Once the lawsuits start to pour in BRP can kiss their arse bye-bye !! This matter should have been addressed properly from day one. If it had been people would no longer have to risk life and limb when they go for a ride on their Spyder. WAKE UP BRP !!!

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Thats funny! thats exactly what i was gonna do....LOL
    I knew it was coming.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    Large companies like Toyota will probably survive the issues they are having. Not so with BRP !! Their PWC and outboard sales are in the dumps. Spyder sales are nothing to brag about. Injuries and fatalities are bound to occur with the Spyder's ongoing steering problems. Once the lawsuits start to pour in BRP can kiss their arse bye-bye !! This matter should have been addressed properly from day one. If it had been people would no longer have to risk life and limb when they go for a ride on their Spyder. WAKE UP BRP !!!

Pure speculation on your part. Can't sue them for damages until there are some-- you simply cannot sue them for what 'might' happen to you.

Even then, they have liability insurance to cover such things--- payouts on such lawsuits don't just come right out of BRP's bank account. If they get sued for a few injuries or deaths it would not put them out of business.

I would bet every MC and Car maker out there has been sued for injuries or deaths due to equipment failure.

Spyder sales might not be anything to brag about compared to other brands, but they have far exceeded what they originally planned for. I was told the initial run of 2008 PE Spyders was supposed to be 1,500 but they increased it to 2,500 because they were selling so fast. They sold another 2,500 non-PE 2008 Spyders---. I think they have been overwhelmed by how the sales have gone--- and the RT appears to be selling great.

I'm not sure about BRP specific numbers, but snowmobile sales in Michigan have been good this past year.

I do hope they can resolve the issue for those that are still having problems... been a long time coming for many to get the GPS, DPS and software patches fixed......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Did you report it to the NHTSA?
    Glad you are ok!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Did you report it to the NHTSA?
    Glad you are ok!
    Not yet, but that is definately on my list of things to do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YIKES!! Glad to hear you got to your destination safely.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It can't be cheap

This DPS issue has got to be costing BRP a ton of $$-( I was gonna say and arm and a leg but realized that's what it may cost us- if not our lives)
    I have had issues since mid November and my has been in the shop since Jan. It's been brought home twice and trailered back to the dealer twice. I have had 1 GPS replaced 2 or 3 DPS's and now a SAS replaced. The two times it was trailered it was by the service dept. 65 miles away. All I have paid for is time and aggravation. I know BRP is paying for the parts and labor and it has got to be adding up for them.
    So I have to think they want this fixed not only because of possible litigation, but because They are spending a lot $$$ trying to remedy the problem.

My spyder is supposed to be "fixed" by this weekend; If it isn't, I'll be demanding a tech from canada come down and fix it.
    All I want is my to run like the day I bought it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    This DPS issue has got to be costing BRP a ton of $$-( I was gonna say and arm and a leg but realized that's what it may cost us- if not our lives)
    I have had issues since mid November and my has been in the shop since Jan. It's been brought home twice and trailered back to the dealer twice. I have had 1 GPS replaced 2 or 3 DPS's and now a SAS replaced. The two times it was trailered it was by the service dept. 65 miles away. All I have paid for is time and aggravation. I know BRP is paying for the parts and labor and it has got to be adding up for them.
    So I have to think they want this fixed not only because of possible litigation, but because They are spending a lot $$$ trying to remedy the problem.

My spyder is supposed to be "fixed" by this weekend; If it isn't, I'll be demanding a tech from canada come down and fix it.
    All I want is my to run like the day I bought it.
    Dont know your state laws, but I will give them 3 shots at it ( I think thats the magic number here) before I research lemon laws here in TX.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't want to go there unless a last resort- I bought the in Florida, It's serviced in Savannah GA., and I live in South Carolina.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Lemon Law

Dont know your state laws, but I will give them 3 shots at it ( I think thats the magic number here) before I research lemon laws here in TX.
    My Spyder has been in the shop twice lately for the steering problem ( This time for 11 days so far ). Texas does have a LEMON-LAW for motorcycles and this law is divided into two categories that determine how many chances a dealer gets to correct the problem. Since this is a safety related issue look under the SERIOUS SAFETY-HAZARD TEST section of the Lemon Law. There are specific criteria that must be met for this law to apply. As far as I'm concerned TICK-TOCK,TICK-TOCK.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You stated there have been some problems with some of the older DPS units when they get the updates. What year is your Spyder? Are the problems both 08 and 09's? I have the 09 and just want to be aware what to be on the lookout for.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Boy now that spring is here is seems these are getting posted every week!! I'm really getting nervous about taking my out. This is crazy..someone is going to have to get seriously hurt or die to get BRP rolling. We need to get this problem out in the public and I'm afraid the only way is if a serious accident happens where steering on these things causes it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default JUST AN IDEA

I was watching TV regarding Toyota and the Pruis that has been in the news lately. A guy from Apple reported there was a vehicle that acted up like this because it got a virus from an Ipod (don't know how true this is).

But, I was thinking they hook our bikes up to computers to do software updates and I wonder if some computers have a virus and pass it on???

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    Boy now that spring is here is seems these are getting posted every week!! I'm really getting nervous about taking my out. This is crazy..someone is going to have to get seriously hurt or die to get BRP rolling. We need to get this problem out in the public and I'm afraid the only way is if a serious accident happens where steering on these things causes it

At least one person on this forum has already been hurt badly due to the steering issue. BRP still continues to hide it's head in the sand and ignore the issue. The most they have done is make empty promises to those who have requested an explanation on what causes the steering malfunctions and how their "fixes" will prevent it from happening again.

The problem with having a serious accident...if the rider dies, there will be no one to point a finger at the steering as the cause for the accident. Dead people can't talk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    At least one person on this forum has already been hurt badly due to the steering issue. BRP still continues to hide it's head in the sand and ignore the issue. The most they have done is make empty promises to those who have requested an explanation on what causes the steering malfunctions and how their "fixes" will prevent it from happening again.

The problem with having a serious accident...if the rider dies, there will be no one to point a finger at the steering as the cause for the accident. Dead people can't talk.
    I think it is a little harsh saying that BRP is sticking their heads in the sand on this one. I do not believe that is true. There could be a lot of under-lying things going on that we do not know or do not understand.

Are they bending over backwards to fix this problem? No one really knows.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I think it is a little harsh saying that BRP is sticking their heads in the sand on this one. I do not believe that is true. There could be a lot of under-lying things going on that we do not know or do not understand.

Are they bending over backwards to fix this problem? No one really knows.
    If there are "under-lying" things going on it should be the responsibility of BRP to explain what they are to the owners who seem to be risking their necks everytime they ride their Spyders due to steering issues that continue to affect more and more owners ! It is past time for them to bite the bullet and either fix or replace any and all Spyders that were equipped with possibly defective hard parts or software. IMO failing to do this is "hiding their heads in the sand"

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Well we are still waiting on a call to see what was wrong w/ the old DPS if they found anything.

I was looking around on the net at past postings about the steering and on other websites and as of now, it's been a year when this started happening to people. I hope nobody gets killed. I mean lots of us have ridden before and have some knowledge in how to handle situations. Some of us are brand new ryders who I am sure did some parking lot practice and got to know their machine real good. But then there are some of us who never rode a bike, let alone a reverse trike or conventional trike and maybe who knows - they just get the thing, take it on a trip, the steering acts up and they can't react in time. So that whole thing bugs me but I am trying to keep my mouth shut and stay calm.