Thread: 12 V Outlet

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 V Outlet

I asked my dealer to install a 12v outlet on the dash of my RT-S. They couldn't find an appropriate spot other than in the glove box. That won't work for me.
    Has anyone installed a 12v yet? If so, where on the dash did you mount it?

Fred
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I've been contemplating this. I suspect I may put my Powerlet outlets in the dash surround, near the gauges, but it looks like there is also room inboard of the front speakers. I doubt a standard 12V outlet would work on the dash panel, and I'm not sure the other panel is flat enough for the larger diameter outlets to sit right. Sorry I haven't been able to pull off the panels and do this yet...too busy shoveling snow.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docriverside View Post
    I added a Powerlet Jack in the dash like I and other installed on the GS. It is run directly to the Battery as it's only use for me is my Gerbing Heated Jacket and quick hook-up for a battery tender. The Panels are fun to get off. I will add another on to the other side later when I get more parts and a PC-8 Fuse Block.

Doc
    After seeing yours in this location, which was my second choice only because I didn't want the hassle of removing the panel, I think you did the right thing. Guess I will wait until I remove the panel to install my comm system bulkead connector, and do everything at once. Cheated on the heated gear connection, and just use a Gerbing harness tucked under the seat. I have been charging the battery from the rear trunk connector, which is hot all the time, unlike the RS. Where are you going to stick the PC-8, Doc?
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I'm going to add another outlet on the other side of the console for the battery tender. I like things clean and easy to get to. Not sure on the PC-8 location. I'll do that after I see what Evan has for the RT as far as the enhanced LED Locations and his Modules. Mud flaps are a must as running ,break and turn signal. More lights in back and I want to turn the front and back side reflectors into running/turn signals. I do all my wiring using waterproof plugs. Also installing the CB/Comm system when it arrives and the Scorpio SR-i900 alarm system. GPS and a Flash2Pass Garage Door Opener were installed with the 12VDC Outlet. Just couldn't wait to take panels off.()
    I did the two Powerlet thing on Nancy's Spyder. One powered all the time for the battery charger, and one switched with the ignition. I'll certainly second the handiness of the connection on the dash or console for the charger. I'm going for the mudflap lights, too. Love them on Nancy's GS! I'm patiently waiting for Evan's third brake light on the "rrunk" lid, but I may not be able to stand not having the mudflap lights, and may do those sooner. I would also like to light up the side reflectors. Lawrenc454 did it and they look great. Not sure how he accomplished it. I really don't care if they work as turn signals, but I would like running lights there. If you make it work, let us know how.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I had two installed on my SE5...one on each side of the Y panel
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    I had two installed on my SE5...one on each side of the Y panel
    He has an RT.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    He has an RT.

RT's don't have a Y-panel? Looks like it does
    Last edited by irish2themax; 03-01-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

The RT does not have the Y-Panel. What is shown is the Glove box removed. The glove box Panel also has the switch assembly for the Parking Brake, Heated grips, Air Adj, Etc. It doesn't come off with ease as the GS/RS model Roadster
    Are you being sarcastic ?

I'm thinking that's an excellent place to put the powerlet or two, and the bulkhead connector for the intercom. I think I could also sneak a bulkhead mp3 connection inbetween the switches, but not if that panel is difficult to get off.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but what charger are you using that you can plug it into the port in the trunk?

Thanks
    Dwight

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but what charger are you using that you can plug it into the port in the trunk?

Thanks
    Dwight
    I have an adapter for my Accumate/Optimate chargers that works on both cigarette and Powerlet outlets, but many chargers have cigarette style plugs available, and I think Powerlet sells an SAE to cigarette adapter.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tender plug

HD sells one that plugs into the tender plug under the seat of the RT I love that they put that plug on it. I had a HD tender from my old HD that I totaled.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I need to put a power outlet on for my GPS. But I have not found a mount yet for my garmin 680 to put it on my RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder_RT View Post
    I need to put a power outlet on for my GPS. But I have not found a mount yet for my garmin 680 to put it on my RT-S
    this is my setting:

- if you don't have, or do not plan to get a brp intercom, the middle switch on the dashboard will easily accommodate a powerlet socket;
    - the gps unit is mounted on a ram-mount combination of two parts;

it works fine for me...

PS. - accessing the dashboard is a real pain, indeed!
    CD.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt outlet

I installed mine in the speaker grill on the left side and it works good

Registered Users InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice Job

Quote Originally Posted by Ronsam View Post
    I installed mine in the speaker grill on the left side and it works good
    I like your placement and plan to do the same on both speakers.
    Was it hard to access or remove the speaker grills?
    Where did you get your 12v socket?
    Where did you connect for the power?
    Thanks C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default 12V outlet....another option

Here's another option to mounting the outlet in the speaker grill or having to resort to a non-standard 12V outlet It took some serious measuring, moving a home made template all over the panel, then with a very small bit of relief work on the inside voila'.. works great, easily accessible and the wire run directly to the battery is easy as well. Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Here's another option to mounting the outlet in the speaker grill or having to resort to a non-standard 12V outlet It took some serious measuring, moving a home made template all over the panel, then with a very small bit of relief work on the inside voila'.. works great, easily accessible and the wire run directly to the battery is easy as well. Len
    Which was easier, accessablity speaking, the center switch one or the speaker housing one?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good find here.