Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 600 mile service

I know I'm putting the horse way out fron of the cart here...but:

What all is done with the 600 mile service? Is it just changing the breakin oil?

I see in the posted manual that the "customer" is listed as performing this task. Why do I ask? It's 150+ miles to my dealer.... I'd have to almost do an imidiate turnaround for the 600 mile service. If it's only changing the oil, I think I can handle that (with help from this forum of course )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post

What all is done with the 600 mile service? Is it just changing the breakin oil?

I see in the posted manual that the "customer" is listed as performing this task. Why do I ask? It's 150+ miles to my dealer.... I'd have to almost do an imidiate turnaround for the 600 mile service. If it's only changing the oil, I think I can handle that (with help from this forum of course )
    The most important part of the 600 mile service is, indeed, the oil and filter change. The drive belt tension is also adjusted, the information from BUDS downloaded, fasteners tightened, and a thorough inspection done. It is also a good time to connect with the dealer regarding any questions, warranty issues, or accessory needs. I do my own service, but I had the dealer do the 600 mile, just to be safe. Gives you some insight into their service department, too.

The oil can obviously be done yourself. Just keep your receipts and document it. The belt cannot be adjusted per factory specs, but there are equally good tools and methods to do this at home, IMO. An owner can also inspect and tighten, but may not know exactly what, where, and how to look. It will take some time to be as thorough. Nothing critical on the computer, but the dealer does like to peek to see how you broke it in. Invasion of privacy? In short, I recommend the first one at the dealer, but if you have good reason, there is no compelling reason you can't do it yourself.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I just had my 600mi. checkup done at Star Island Motor Sports and they did a good job, and addressed my concerns and went over it head to toe. The cost was $233, very pleased I took it to them for peace of mind of them checking everything out.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Break in oil hasn't been used since the late 60s/early 70s. The reason you SHOULD change your oil AND filter AT 600 is to remove any millings that might be left from the manufacturing process.
    If you have basic tool's [metric] You can do it yourself.
    When you get under the Spyder do what Yogi say's=

YOU CAN OBSERVE A LOT JUST BY LOOKING.

Spyder Garage

Better start parking your outside, the yellow from your Prowler is bleeding onto your .
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    WISCONSIN....Across The Road From the Holsteins
    Spyder Garage

I think even tho some here do their own wrenching, I still think it's important to keep in touch with the "back room" of your dealership.

Hence my posting here on talking to a RT wrench some time back:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15699

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michaels cycle View Post
    I think even tho some here do their own wrenching, I still think it's important to keep in touch with the "back room" of your dealership.

Hence my posting here on talking to a RT wrench some time back:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15699
    I was quoted $600 and change from the service rep where I bought my machine.I would like to have continued doing busness there but I refuse to be violated. $233 while much better still seems a bit steep for a oil change, look see and hooking the bike up to a code reader.

RAL

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My 600 mi. service

Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    I was quoted $600 and change from the service rep where I bought my machine.I would like to have continued doing busness there but I refuse to be violated. $233 while much better still seems a bit steep for a oil change, look see and hooking the bike up to a code reader.

RAL
    I paid $239.00 for my RTS 600 mi. service, and was told by the dealer it was for a 2 hour job.

When are they going to start a Jiffy Lube for Spyders ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Better start parking your outside, the yellow from your Prowler is bleeding onto your .
    At least its the best color. Not my Prowler, a friends. I thought they looked cool together.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

OK, so I'm getting that the 600 mile service is more than just a oil change and that it cost in the area of $200 - $600 SO.... What does just an oil change cost?

Spyder Garage

OK, so I'm getting that the 600 mile service is more than just a oil change and that it cost in the area of $200 - $600 SO.... What does just an oil change cost?
    It is more than an oil change, but not so much more that it is compelling to do it at the dealer. As I recall, the flat rate for it is 2 hours labor. Using BRP parts the filter(s) and gaskets will cost about $35 ($50 for SE?) and the oil another $50 or so. If you have to pay $600 for the service, you are being ripped off.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The shop manual has a complete check list of what needs to be done at the 600 mi service. When you have the service done ask for a copy of the service sheet. We have the tech check off each area of inspection and provide it when the Spyder is picked . It's more than an oil change! If a issue crops up under warranty BRP will sometimes ask if the 600 mi service has been done. The warranty will fly much easier if the service has been done. If you choose to do the service yourself keep good records. This is usually not the case with Spyder owners but if there is a failure due to neglect a warranty claim can be denied. Hope this helps.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdylr View Post
    The shop manual has a complete check list of what needs to be done at the 600 mi service. When you have the service done ask for a copy of the service sheet. We have the tech check off each area of inspection and provide it when the Spyder is picked . It's more than an oil change! If a issue crops up under warranty BRP will sometimes ask if the 600 mi service has been done. The warranty will fly much easier if the service has been done. If you choose to do the service yourself keep good records. This is usually not the case with Spyder owners but if there is a failure due to neglect a warranty claim can be denied. Hope this helps.
    Can you tell us what your dealership charges for the 600 mile service? It seems that prices are all over the place. Family Powersports in San Angelo quoted me $550.00 for it and that seems very excessive to me.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Can you tell us what your dealership charges for the 600 mile service? It seems that prices are all over the place. Family Powersports in San Angelo quoted me $550.00 for it and that seems very excessive to me.

Cotton
    Anything over $200 range is a ripoff! I paid $157.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post

Cotton
    We charge 2 hrs labor plus parts. Our labor rate is $80.00 per hour. We do use BRP oil so there is no oil issues with BRP.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdylr View Post
    We charge 2 hrs labor plus parts. Our labor rate is $80.00 per hour. We do use BRP oil so there is no oil issues with BRP.
    That sounds like a reasonable price to me. And, from your posts on here, there's no doubt that your service department knows what they are doing. Wish I was closer but, unfortunately, it's 300 miles to Amarillo. That's still good information to have. Thanks a lot Spyderdylr.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

The labor rate where I go is $48 per half hour ,gotta pay for American jobs

they are gonna take me out to lunch while it gets worked on.

I have the 3 per year maintenance free plan, this 600 mile service they said cost $350, I plan on putting
    approx 10- 12K miles per year, and have the option of which scheduled maintenances I use it on. Should
    I pay out of pocket on this, I know I will for just the regular oil change which is approx. $150 every
    3K miles. I believe they told me the 6K mile check is the 14 hour one, lets see 14 X $96 = $1344, heck my
    12K check I might get in the first year
    Last edited by TicketBait; 02-08-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    The labor rate where I go is $48 per half hour ,gotta pay for American jobs

they are gonna take me out to lunch while it gets worked on.

I have the 3 per year maintenance free plan, this 600 mile service they said cost $350, I plan on putting
    approx 10- 12K miles per year, and have the option of which scheduled maintenances I use it on. Should
    I pay out of pocket on this, I know I will for just the regular oil change which is approx. $150 every
    3K miles. I believe they told me the 6K mile check is the 14 hour one, lets see 14 X $96 = $1344, heck my
    12K check I might get in the first year
    How do you spell "Rip-off"? 14 hours! What's he doing for 14 hours? I would check for other dealers and drive 300 miles and get a motel if needed before I paid $1344.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    How do you spell "Rip-off"? 14 hours! What's he doing for 14 hours? I would check for other dealers and drive 300 miles and get a motel if needed before I paid $1344.
    The 6K service includes the first valve clearance check. Totally unnecessary at this early point, IMO, but that is another story. That takes time, but not the extra 12 hours worth. I suspect they also included actually adjusting the valves at that rate. That takes several hours. The actual adjustment shouldn't be necessary for several times the 6K figure.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The 6K service includes the first valve clearance check. Totally unnecessary at this early point, IMO, but that is another story. That takes time, but not the extra 12 hours worth. I suspect they also included actually adjusting the valves at that rate. That takes several hours. The actual adjustment shouldn't be necessary for several times the 6K figure.
    I knew that the valves were supposed to be adjusted at 12,000 miles but I missed the note that says to inspect the valve clearance at 6,000 miles. I've adjusted valves on BMW's many times but I have absolutely no experience with the bucket and shim system the Rotax V-twin uses. I don't much think I want to try to learn it on something as expensive as a Spyder RT. I'm probably going to buy a 3-year maintenance agreement.

What really bothers me more than anything is the wide variation in prices for maintenance. Even taking into account the different costs of living and labor rates in different parts of the country, it doesn't seem like the cost of a 600 mile service should vary from $157.00 to $550.00.

Cotton

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

1344$ Why do you think the service rep's are smiling.

Spyder Garage

For those of you who are new to the forum...our 2008 SE5 has 32,765 miles on it. This summer we made a round trip of the US. After the 600 mile service, I have changed my own oil every 5,000 miles with filter, changed the spark plugs, air filter, rear bearings at 25,000 miles, changed the rear tire at 16,000 miles and the front tires at 32,000 miles. My first thought on valve adjustment will not be until 50,000 miles, if even then. The Spyder has never failed us in all those miles. I am not suggesting anyone do what I have done, just saying that without all the trips to the dealer that BRP "requires", the Spyder runs better than when it was new. Warranty? No worries. With the savings of over $6000 in maintenance costs, I believe I am way ahead.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

For those of you who are new to the forum...our 2008 SE5 has 32,765 miles on it. This summer we made a round trip of the US. After the 600 mile service, I have changed my own oil every 5,000 miles with filter, changed the spark plugs, air filter, rear bearings at 25,000 miles, changed the rear tire at 16,000 miles and the front tires at 32,000 miles. My first thought on valve adjustment will not be until 50,000 miles, if even then. The Spyder has never failed us in all those miles. I am not suggesting anyone do what I have done, just saying that without all the trips to the dealer that BRP "requires", the Spyder runs better than when it was new. Warranty? No worries. With the savings of over $6000 in maintenance costs, I believe I am way ahead.
    The dealers love people who worry about losing
    their warranty and follow the required maintenance.

Spyder Garage

my 1000 checkup was $182 parts and labor
    6000 miles: $214 parts and labor

prepaid plan
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting