Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

WESTGL - When you get your Spyder back, and confirm it's fixed, would you please post what specifically they did to fix it (from the paperwork). This could save someone troubleshooting time in the future. Thank you.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    It only happened once didn't it?

Try putting some more miles on it.....it's probably still breaking in.
    bad advice a new bike that is breaking in should NOT do this....see the dealer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The SE5 is meant to be shifted under power. It "blips" the throttle for you. This is an operator thing you are going to have to get used to. Don't close the throttle.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well I started the Spyder today, and it was a good thing that the elec. Parking brake was on. The Spyder jumped forward and was held by the P. Brake other wise I would have to replace my garage door.

Well started my ride to the dealer. It was pulling/creeping at every stop some more than others. I tried revving the motor a little, then let it go back to idle.

That made things worse clutch was locking up at higher speed.

I came to one stop could bare hold the bike with the brake when I did it killed the engine.

same exact thing happened to me, except i had to be towed in....this was after the gps was replaced....this time it was the shift solenoid

Thank God! ! ! ! ! ! I did not sell my continuous duty Goldwing(s).

please tell us how u really feel...im confused, do u like ur goldwing better than ur spyder?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Also, when you start the SE5, with your foot on the brake, the Spyder will always start in Neutral, so why does yours jump forward?
    its SUPPOSED to start in neutral automatically...but when its messed up, it can start in gear as mine did....i almost ran into the wall in my shed.....it malfunctioned because the shift solenoid was going bad....dealer replaced and alls well..
    Last edited by aubierules; 03-04-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aubierules View Post
    bad advice a new bike that is breaking in should NOT do this....see the dealer
    A few others have posted similar problems which went away after an oil change and/or more miles accumulated.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    A few others have posted similar problems which went away after an oil change and/or more miles accumulated.
    this is by no means a problem that will resolve itself...in my opinion it is not good advice to tell someone to keep riding it and it will go away...you dont know that to be true. what if he did ignore it and it caused him to get in an accident or tore his bike up..im not saying your being malicious but its just not good advice to give....in my opinion of course

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aubierules View Post
    this is by no means a problem that will resolve itself...in my opinion it is not good advice to tell someone to keep riding it and it will go away...you dont know that to be true. what if he did ignore it and it caused him to get in an accident or tore his bike up..im not saying your being malicious but its just not good advice to give....in my opinion of course
    Aubie, at the start of this thread it had seemed to only have happened once initially. Would you really want them to take it all apart if it didn't happen again? And I DO know it to be true as far as it's been reported by some right here who haven't had further problems since having the oil changed, or had accumulated more mileage.
    Of course in the OP's case it DID happen more than once and had gotten progressively worse, in which case a dealer visit was in order.

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Centriugal Clutch Problem

I went and picked up my Spyder today.

My dealer said that the Centrifugal Clutch had to be replaced.

My Dealer said by the looks at the parts there was some strange looking wear on the CC plates.

They replaced the whole Centrifugal clutch assembly.

My Windshield was making a lot on noise, the spacers were too thin and left a lot of play and the windshield could move around causing the excessive noise.

Now that is has been fixed, well I only rode it about 12 miles, but it did not run this good when it was delivered to me new, The CC starts to lock up about 1700-1800rpm now. CC releases about 1500rpm

The engine feels like the motor is in neutral when your in 1st it drives really nice now.

I need to ride the more and put some miles on it.

Ill try to get a couple hundred miles on it. Then tell you all how it is doing.

Westgl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by westgl View Post
    I went and picked up my Spyder today.

My dealer said that the Centrifugal Clutch had to be replaced.

My Dealer said by the looks at the parts there was some strange looking wear on the CC plates.

They replaced the whole Centrifugal clutch assembly.

My Windshield was making a lot on noise, the spacers were too thin and left a lot of play and the windshield could move around causing the excessive noise.

Now that is has been fixed, well I only rode it about 12 miles, but it did not run this good when it was delivered to me new, The CC starts to lock up about 1700-1800rpm now. CC releases about 1500rpm

The engine feels like the motor is in neutral when your in 1st it drives really nice now.

I need to ride the more and put some miles on it.

Ill try to get a couple hundred miles on it. Then tell you all how it is doing.

Westgl
    So glad to hear the good news. Glad you are smiling now. Any manufacturer can flub up...and it is disappointing. It is how they respond and remedy the problem that shows the manufacturer's and dealer's true character. Enjoy the Ryde (at last).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT-S SE5 stalling in first, the saga continues...

Back from bike week in Daytona. Overall a great trip. Highlights include meeting several other Spyder lovers and riding on the Daytona track with 63 other Spyders. Put allot of miles on the RT-S both on the highway and in intense traffic.

Here is a summary of issues during the trip that are relevant to this thread:

1. Before leaving Tampa – rolled into the gas station and Spyder stalled in first. Couldn’t get it started by pressing on break. It tried to roll forward when attempting to start. Stuck in first again. Have been there before, had to use the #13 wrench to get it into neutral to get it started. (Interesting #13 wrench; ironic if you believe in that kind of stuff.)
    2. Stalled in first 2 additional times during the entire trip. Once just after it started up one cold morning rolling about 100 feet and once coming of I-4 into a rest stop while hot. Was able to apply the break to re-start it both time. Didn’t lock in 1st and didn’t have to use #13 wrench.

Interest enough, while on the trip, got a voice mail from the sales guy from the dealership asking how things are going with the Spyder. How lucky can someone get? Guess who is going to get a call on Monday.

With the first 600 mile service done and over 1000 miles on it now hope the dealer will find out why it keeps stalling in first. Keep everyone posted…

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey Ddileo & others

Glad to hear Daytona was a great trip.

I was going to go to Daytona when My Spyder broke down, My spyder was at the dealer for a week or so.

Your Spyder sounds like you are having most of the same problems that i was having.

As I stated with mine they replaced the whole Centrifugal clutch.

I went on a 80 mile ride today, and WOW !!! My bike runs so much better.

I thought because of the, not shifting from 1st to neutral that a shift solenoid may need to be replaced, but it did not.

Once the Centrifugal clutch was replaced, all my problems went away.

My became sooo smooth.

Tomorrow I plan on getting an early start and maybe putting on a hundred plus miles.

If you are having this problem, I would definitely run, do not walk, to your nearest dealer.

Get the problem fixed now!!! before spring starts.

I have about 150miles till my 600-mile service.

Don't be afraid to take the Spyder in for repairs, get it fixed! Do not live another day with a problem like this.

Westgl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elpaso View Post
    Mine has died about 3 times a week while it down shifts from second to first while coming to a stop. Anybody else having this problem?
    Yes ... same problem at about 300 miles. I called the dealer right after I had to push my spyder out of an intersection. He said he knew what it was and if I couldn't get it started after a 'reset' to call and they would come and get me, my wife and the RT. The RT would not just start all the time ... would panic ... had to remember the 'reset' ... shut it down and pull the key - so on and so on. Well it did restart. He did tell me to make sure to manually down shift on the way to the Dealership before any stopping. I took it in and they said that they would 'download a fix' and if that didn't resolve it then it would need a new sensor for the clutch(?). I didn't need the sensor the 'download' worked and never a problem since. I hope my story helps.

Tony

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ynot9771 View Post
    Yes ... same problem at about 300 miles. I called the dealer right after I had to push my spyder out of an intersection. He said he knew what it was and if I couldn't get it started after a 'reset' to call and they would come and get me, my wife and the RT. The RT would not just start all the time ... would panic ... had to remember the 'reset' ... shut it down and pull the key - so on and so on. Well it did restart. He did tell me to make sure to manually down shift on the way to the Dealership before any stopping. I took it in and they said that they would 'download a fix' and if that didn't resolve it then it would need a new sensor for the clutch(?). I didn't need the sensor the 'download' worked and never a problem since. I hope my story helps.

Tony
    Yes ours stalled two blocks from dealer after break in serv. unfortunately they locked up and went home same time. Rode the sixty five miles home repeated 2 more times on way, rode next day to coast and back 240 miles and worked perfectly. probably cause the wife rode. I was side kick. s/k just shrugged thier shoulders w/no clue..

Beautiful, but dangerous.
    Watch out for those blue Spyders!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorallens View Post
    Yes ours stalled two blocks from dealer after break in serv. unfortunately they locked up and went home same time. Rode the sixty five miles home repeated 2 more times on way, rode next day to coast and back 240 miles and worked perfectly. probably cause the wife rode. I was side kick. s/k just shrugged thier shoulders w/no clue..
    You need to get it back to your dealer asap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Root cause of RT SE5 issue ???

Does anyone know the root cause of this issue ???

Can't seem to narrow it down to a particular circumstance or time during a ride. Don't know what to tell the dealer?

Is it the centrifical cluch, sensor, need vibration dampener gear ???

HELP!
    Last edited by ddileo; 03-12-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddileo View Post
    Does anyone know the root cause of this issue ???

Can't seem to narrow it down to a particular circumstance or time during a ride. Don't know what to tell the dealer?

Is it the centrifical cluch, sensor, need vibration dampener gear ???

HELP!
    Most likely the centrifugal clutch, but why tell the dealer what to look for, and cut your options? The dealer should figure it out, calling BRP for help, if needed. That way it is more likely to get thoroughly cured...plus none of the responsibility rests with you. If your tech gets puzzled, and BRP can't help, then you can make suggestions, but I would not do it beforehand.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Most likely the centrifugal clutch, but why tell the dealer what to look for, and cut your options? The dealer should figure it out, calling BRP for help, if needed. That way it is more likely to get thoroughly cured...plus none of the responsibility rests with you. If your tech gets puzzled, and BRP can't help, then you can make suggestions, but I would not do it beforehand.
    so true, I give my mechanic the symptoms but never the diagnosis, that way they may see or hear some other contributing factor.

Unless a part falls off, I did tell them the poor reception was do to a missing antenna

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Guys !

Going to the hockey game with the dealer's manager tomorrow night. Should be interesting when I mention this to him. The good news, I bought the extended warranty.

God bless you and Spyder Lovers !

Spyder Garage

soo true, my service manager consulted w/his top tech and they came back with this comment( what grade of fuel are you using ). lost my patients when that happened. let's play the blame game first instead of diognosing the problem.

Beautiful, but dangerous.
    Watch out for those blue Spyders!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorallens View Post
    soo true, my service manager consulted w/his top tech and they came back with this comment( what grade of fuel are you using ). lost my patients when that happened. let's play the blame game first instead of diognosing the problem.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10017

Spyder Garage

Default gold wings

I bought 4 new gold wings had to replace carb on one and clutch on one glad it was under warranty so they have their problems too

Spyder Garage

Default New Part #

Your dealer should be ordering part # 420685543. This is the updated centrifugal Clutch that BRP came out with that will fix your "creeping" problem. The pins inside the centrifugal rollers are a different size, most if not all the 2008 models will have the older style in them. Depending on how long and how bad your Spyder has been creeping it may have also overheated the clutch plates therefore they too may also have to be replaced. The clutches also MUST be adjusted properly with a adjuster plate in the clutch basket (part # 420281535).

The updated centrifugal clutch should already be installed on the 2010 models. The part numbers listed above are for the RS models only. We have not yet had (and hopeully won't) any RT's in our shop with this problem.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Speed-Sports; 03-18-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Updated

Spyder Garage

Thanks for kicking in, here!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-Sports View Post
    Your dealer should be ordering part # 420685543. This is the updated centrifugal Clutch that BRP came out with that will fix your "creeping" problem. The pins inside the centrifugal rollers are a different size, most if not all the 2008 models will have the older style in them. Depending on how long and how bad your Spyder has been creeping it may have also overheated the clutch plates therefore they too may also have to be replaced. The clutches also MUST be adjusted properly with a adjuster plate in the clutch basket (part # 420281535).

The updated centrifugal clutch should already be installed on the 2010 models. The part numbers listed above are for the RS models only. We have not yet had (and hopeully won't) any RT's in our shop with this problem.

Hope this helps.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally fixed ...

Update, dealer finally got the centrifugal clutch in from BRP. Took a week and two days to ship from BRP. Hey what can you say when it's coming from Canada A. Shift is much smoother and no stalling in 1st gear. Let the riding begin...