Hybrid View

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Centrifical Clutch

I was out for a ride today, & a beautiful day it was.

I was coming from a Hot-rod show, as I started braking and coming in for a stop light, the bike automatically started down shifting normally down to first gear, the centrifugal clutch was Not freewheeling the bike wanted to keep going like it was in gear.

When this happened, I did not see what the RPM's of the engine were.

I think the centrifugal clutch on the SE-5 starts pulling at 1600-1800 rpms.

Idle is 1300-1400rpm.

It was like it was a Manual shifter in first gear with the clutch out and trying to stop, bike started bucking, then died, I wanted to pull the clutch in but there wasn't one.

Anyone else have this problem?

The engine started right away, And i did not experience this problem for the next hour of riding.

Westgl

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Some of the early SE GS models had a similar problem. If it persists, seeyour dealer. It is not normal.

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Centrifical clutch is going out

Less than 300 miles and the Centrifugal clutch is going out.

My new Spyder RT-SE5 needs repair and it's not even broken-in yet and it's already broken.

How long is this going to take, I am sure my local dealer does not have this part in stock. This may take some time to get the part & get it fixed.

Oh bother! I'll just ride one of my Goldwings, they never break down!!!

Westgl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by westgl View Post
    Less than 300 miles and the Centrifugal clutch is going out.

My new Spyder RT-SE5 needs repair and it's not even broken-in yet and it's already broken.

How long is this going to take, I am sure my local dealer does not have this part in stock. This may take some time to get the part & get it fixed.

Oh bother! I'll just ride one of my Goldwings, they never break down!!!

Westgl
    It only happened once didn't it?

Try putting some more miles on it.....it's probably still breaking in.

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Creeping

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post

It seems to be a recurring issue with many SE5's.

Mine (a 2009 model) did just the same quite a few times, especially when hot, and while riding in stop-n-go traffic.

Now, with over 5K miles on it, it rarely (if ever) does it, and I do not feel that the clutch has been somehow damaged during break-in.

When yours starts creeping in 1st. gear while stopped, just press firmly on the brake and blip the throttle. That will disengage the clutch.

It should fade away with time, and after a couple of oil changes.

Just to be on the safe side, talk with your dealer.

Saludos, Pilo

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Creeping

When My Spyder does creeping it is when it has been ran for a while, it doesn't do it when it is cold.

Last time it started creeping(yesterday) I put the brake on hard to hold the bike and the engine died.

That happened a few times on the way home.

Almost every time I came to a stop it would pull and not freewheel (Centrifical clutch) Sometimes it pulls harder than others.

It seems to be getting worse, pulling harder going fast at a stop.

I am not going to ride it until it is fixed.

Guess i'll just have to ride one of the Goldwings

Westgl
    Last edited by westgl; 02-23-2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: cause

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post

bad advice a new bike that is breaking in should NOT do this....see the dealer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aubierules View Post
    bad advice a new bike that is breaking in should NOT do this....see the dealer
    A few others have posted similar problems which went away after an oil change and/or more miles accumulated.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by westgl View Post
    I was out for a ride today, & a beautiful day it was.

I was coming from a Hot-rod show, as I started braking and coming in for a stop light, the bike automatically started down shifting normally down to first gear, the centrifugal clutch was Not freewheeling the bike wanted to keep going like it was in gear.

When this happened, I did not see what the RPM's of the engine were.

I think the centrifugal clutch on the SE-5 starts pulling at 1600-1800 rpms.

Idle is 1300-1400rpm.

It was like it was a Manual shifter in first gear with the clutch out and trying to stop, bike started bucking, then died, I wanted to pull the clutch in but there wasn't one.

Anyone else have this problem?

The engine started right away, And i did not experience this problem for the next hour of riding.

Westgl
    no but i am having problem shifting from 1 into 2 when my spyder is cold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default spyder rt

have trouble shifting from 1 to 2 when spyder is cold .but only have 200 mile. on it.i hope it stop . when go for 600miles oil change. i will have it look at,this is my second semi automatic.no problem with the 09 shifting.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine has died about 3 times a week while it down shifts from second to first while coming to a stop. Anybody else having this problem?

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Mine died once while stopped for a light. It was idling and just died. One other time it almost died, again at a stop light, same deal. It's in the shop now for service and replacement of the Yaw Sensor for a limp home fault. Don't know if that has anything to do with it dieing at the light but I'm hoping it cures it.

Dwight

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WESTGL - When you get your Spyder back, and confirm it's fixed, would you please post what specifically they did to fix it (from the paperwork). This could save someone troubleshooting time in the future. Thank you.
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

RT-S PE#0516
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elpaso View Post
    Mine has died about 3 times a week while it down shifts from second to first while coming to a stop. Anybody else having this problem?
    Yes ... same problem at about 300 miles. I called the dealer right after I had to push my spyder out of an intersection. He said he knew what it was and if I couldn't get it started after a 'reset' to call and they would come and get me, my wife and the RT. The RT would not just start all the time ... would panic ... had to remember the 'reset' ... shut it down and pull the key - so on and so on. Well it did restart. He did tell me to make sure to manually down shift on the way to the Dealership before any stopping. I took it in and they said that they would 'download a fix' and if that didn't resolve it then it would need a new sensor for the clutch(?). I didn't need the sensor the 'download' worked and never a problem since. I hope my story helps.

Tony

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ynot9771 View Post
    Yes ... same problem at about 300 miles. I called the dealer right after I had to push my spyder out of an intersection. He said he knew what it was and if I couldn't get it started after a 'reset' to call and they would come and get me, my wife and the RT. The RT would not just start all the time ... would panic ... had to remember the 'reset' ... shut it down and pull the key - so on and so on. Well it did restart. He did tell me to make sure to manually down shift on the way to the Dealership before any stopping. I took it in and they said that they would 'download a fix' and if that didn't resolve it then it would need a new sensor for the clutch(?). I didn't need the sensor the 'download' worked and never a problem since. I hope my story helps.

Tony
    Yes ours stalled two blocks from dealer after break in serv. unfortunately they locked up and went home same time. Rode the sixty five miles home repeated 2 more times on way, rode next day to coast and back 240 miles and worked perfectly. probably cause the wife rode. I was side kick. s/k just shrugged thier shoulders w/no clue..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorallens View Post
    Yes ours stalled two blocks from dealer after break in serv. unfortunately they locked up and went home same time. Rode the sixty five miles home repeated 2 more times on way, rode next day to coast and back 240 miles and worked perfectly. probably cause the wife rode. I was side kick. s/k just shrugged thier shoulders w/no clue..
    You need to get it back to your dealer asap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New Part #

Your dealer should be ordering part # 420685543. This is the updated centrifugal Clutch that BRP came out with that will fix your "creeping" problem. The pins inside the centrifugal rollers are a different size, most if not all the 2008 models will have the older style in them. Depending on how long and how bad your Spyder has been creeping it may have also overheated the clutch plates therefore they too may also have to be replaced. The clutches also MUST be adjusted properly with a adjuster plate in the clutch basket (part # 420281535).

The updated centrifugal clutch should already be installed on the 2010 models. The part numbers listed above are for the RS models only. We have not yet had (and hopeully won't) any RT's in our shop with this problem.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Speed-Sports; 03-18-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Updated

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for kicking in, here!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-Sports View Post
    Your dealer should be ordering part # 420685543. This is the updated centrifugal Clutch that BRP came out with that will fix your "creeping" problem. The pins inside the centrifugal rollers are a different size, most if not all the 2008 models will have the older style in them. Depending on how long and how bad your Spyder has been creeping it may have also overheated the clutch plates therefore they too may also have to be replaced. The clutches also MUST be adjusted properly with a adjuster plate in the clutch basket (part # 420281535).

The updated centrifugal clutch should already be installed on the 2010 models. The part numbers listed above are for the RS models only. We have not yet had (and hopeully won't) any RT's in our shop with this problem.

Hope this helps.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally fixed ...

Update, dealer finally got the centrifugal clutch in from BRP. Took a week and two days to ship from BRP. Hey what can you say when it's coming from Canada A. Shift is much smoother and no stalling in 1st gear. Let the riding begin...

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Centrifugal Clutch

OK My Spyder is back at the dealer again for the Centrifugal Clutch

I took it in for what I thought was a delayed shift.

My dealer test rode the Spyder said It was not a software download, but the Clutch hanging up & causing the delay, (The delay was a slipping clutch)

My dealer, (I am happy to have such a Great Dealer) said it was three weight/bearings that were changed out for the newer ones.

The weights I had, have a bushing in the center, the bushing seem to cause more friction.

My Dealer replaced the weights with the new ones that have roller bearings.

Let me describe the difference,

Before:
    From a Stop: It takes a lot of throttle movement to get away from a stop, felt like clutch was slipping most of the time away from a stop.
    Shifting: Clutch was slipping really bad and made it feel like a delayed shift

After:
    From a Stop: It takes very little throttle movement to get away from a stop, and throttle feel much more responsive.
    Shifting: Very quick, positive shift, after shift bike just moves no slip

All I can say is WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
    This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    much better.

I want to thank my dealer, Water World for doing such a great job, getting my Spyder 1st working correctly, & 2nd getting it done so fast.

Spyder Garage

I know this is old thread but I thought I would reply. My centrifugal clutch assembly went out on a 2009 can am spyder SE5 so now its creeping. I found a used one but inst that new model 420685543 its the older model that creeps. Can I use the used part or do I need to upgrade and get new part?