Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to the Alaska Chapter of Spydelovers

I will try to keep Alaska Spyder Ryders, as well as Ryders interested in visiting Alaska, informed as to goings on here in the Last Frontier. Currently, there are about 30 Spyder owners in our state. We have a club named the Alaska Spyder Ryders which was founded in October of 2008. We went on a few group rides last summer (2009) and are already making plans for a full summers ride schedule. We would like to hear from any one with questions about riding in Alaska. Spouse and I covered virtually all the paved roads in Alaska last summer, and we would gladly share information about areas you plan to travel to, places to stay, and the various Alaska Roadhouses you will encounter on the way. We have collectively put 35K miles on Spyders. I currently have a 2010 RT-S and spouse has a 2009 RS. We feel that Alaska is a great place to ride a Spyder. We look forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-11-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: RE DO CLUB INFORMATION
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

welcome

Spyder Garage

Have always wanted to get up there, but it's so far away & takes too many days of vacation. Maybe some day....
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Good to hear there are some Spyders up north.

I intend to go up there this summer. I am booked on the ferry out of Bellingham on June 4 for me and the Spyder. I got the upgraded room on the ferry for the 6 day trip. (Upgrade= an extra $200 for sheets on my bunk)

After getting off the boat in Anchorage I intend to go up to Fairbanks and ride the Alcan Highway to Dawson Creek and then home. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

One myth about Alaska that keeps coming up is the state of the roads. Just last night someone told me that the Alcan was gravel from one end to the other. I do not believe that to be true or I wouldn't be going.

The other is bugs. I am not sure what bug is going to keep up at 60 mph. But I would put the bugs from Southeast US up against Alaska bugs. To hear people tell it you would think they were going to pick you up and fly away with you. (I am from south Louisiana originally so I have heard all of the bug jokes)

In any case it is good to hear there are Spyder Rydrs up in the last frontier.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

welcome
    SPYDRRR

Spyder Garage

Default Reply

Your method of getting the Spyder up to AK is great. You are really going to enjoy the AK passage and the spectacular scenery. The road from Anchorage to Fairbanks is all paved as well as the return trip to the Alcan Highway. The roads are mostly good and they are posted up to 70 mph in places. When you get over by Tok, you will encounter frost heaves in a small area--just slow down and enjoy the hoop te doos.

The Alcan highway is paved. You may encounter road construction from time to time with gravel--but that section may be only 20 miles or so. Road information is readilly available. We rode the Alcan last in 2001--and encountered about 10 miles of gravel. We are going on the Alcan with our Spyders this summer on a side trip to Skagway. Buy yourself a copy of Milepost magzine (about $30) at any good bookstore. Get the 2010 edition of course. It contains information about ALL of AK's roads, the Alcan Highway, as well as information about stops and roadhouses along the way. The information is about advertisers only, but very sufficient for your trip.

We have bugs just like any other place. The mosquito season (we call them B-52's) in Anchorage is usually April through end of May--then they die. North you will encounter smaller low flying insects. Good mosquito dope should be sufficient protection. If your camping out, you may want to up the ante. Hope this information helps you out.

Contact us by e-mail when you finalize plans--perhaps we can meet in person.
    In any case it is good to hear there are Spyder Rydrs up in the last frontier.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-24-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: information update
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a goal to have ISCI products in all 50 states. Currently Alaska is not on the map. 15% off to the first Alaska customer!
    ISCI Billy

1-800-838-9421
    www.isciride.com

Spyder Garage

Default Wife drove the RTS last night.

I let the spouse drive the RTS last night for the first time. Since there have been some previous comments about handling differences between the RS and the RTS, I thought I would post our results. Spouse has been a Syder pilot since last year when I got her a new 2009 RS. She now has over 10K miles driving the RS. She did previously test sit, but not drive the RTS. After showing her the differences in operating/starting and pointing out the wider wheel spread, we went on a 25 mile ride. The road is very hilly and curvy so it is great for trying a new ride for handling, etc. I went along and drove her RS. She handled the RTS as though that is all she had ever driven. She commented on how nice and cushy the vechicle feels compared to the RS and did not experience or complain about handling problems. She did mention that the RS felt snappier to her compared to the RTS. I watched to see if she would be all over the road due to the sligtly different handling characteristics, but they did not seem to effect her at all. Based on the results, Im guessing that in a year or two she will probably have her own RTS.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Road Trip Ahead

It's one week and counting now. Spouse, and I are going to go on a 2000 mile adventure next week. Leaving Eagle River, AK and taking the Alcan Highway to Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory, with a side trip down to Skagway Alaska. This will be our longest trip on the Spyders at one time. We plan on taking 5 days, with stops in Tok, AK, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, and Skagway, AK, before returning to Eagle River. We are also bringing a family friend along who will ride as a passenger on the RTS. We drove the Alcan when we first moved to Alaska in 2001, and are looking forward to seeing the beautiful scenery again. If this trip goes well, next year its off to Washington state, Oregon, and Idaho via the Alcan through British Columbia. We plan on taking a lot of pictures for the Alaska Album #2 and will fill you in on highlights of the trip when we return. The fireweed fields should be in full bloom so we are sure to get some stunning pictures.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Alaska Chapter?

How do I join the Alaska chapter of Spyder Ryders?

Spyder Garage

I sent you a PM. This thread goes back to February of 2010--so some of the information is dated.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Post New to Spyders and live in Palmer AK

Hi All I am new to Spyders and bought my first one an 2008 RS last year from Team CC. I am loving it!! I have ridden Harley's all my life but my Rhumatoïde Arthritis doesn't allow me to really rely on strength to hold my harley up all the time, so Harley was sold and bought a spyder. Right now it is at Design Graphics getting a graphics kit put on it, and I can't wait. I was wondering if there is an actual chapter up here to join, with organized events and rides. Looking forward to meeting other spyder riders in the Alaska Area.

Thanks

Jen
    Let Freedom Ring and support a local Soldier

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ISCI Billy View Post
    I have a goal to have ISCI products in all 50 states. Currently Alaska is not on the map. 15% off to the first Alaska customer!
    Billy when you want to break into Alberta with a 15% discount let me know.

Spyder Garage

Hello: Freedomrings.

I sent you a PM about rides.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder owner

Purchased a 2009 SE5 last month and put almost 100 miles on it the first day. Handles great on the dry/icy roads. Will you please send me the info on your group?

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde. I sent you a PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red