Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default It has to do with the year of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by CRUCIFIED View Post
    I was looking at the sprocket cover as well, I already have a black rear wheel but BRP lists two different part #s for the cover...one for the "older version" and one for the newer. Anyone have any idea how to differentiate between the two?

http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessori...t-Detail/PC_69

I have a 2009 and got the sprocket cover, it is a BIG PAIN to get on, but now I'm thinking it was because when they asked the year of my Spyder I told them 2009 and apparently there were two casting numbers for that year vehicle. They didn't ask me what the casting number was. The guy spent three hours just on this, because he had to modify the sprocket cover but it looks perfect. So, if you get the wrong one, you'll need a dremel and a lot of patience or you could send it back. That was not an option for me as I painted it a gun metal color to match my rims. Now, I'm looking and I was sent the sprocket for the larger sized hub, so maybe that will be a problem unless you have the smaller hub diameter. There is a chart that was in the instructions on how to figure out which one to get.

What year is your spyder?

2008 GS (look to check the casting number on your sprocket) if it is 705 500 860 you need kit p/n 219 200 .106

2009 GS (casting number) if it is 705 500 860 you need kit 219 200 106
    if it is 705 501 095 you need kit 219 400 219

2010 (casting number 705 501 095) you need kit 219 400 219

The casting number I guess only really matters if you have a 2009. I hope that is what you are looking for. I could look more at the paperwork I got if needed. It matters because of the hub diameter is different. What they have on the link you posted is the CASTING NUMBER rather than the parts number.
    Last edited by Amanda B; 03-23-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Everything never changes!

Spyder Garage

Thank you.Yes Amanda, that's what I was trying to figure.

On my Spyder the casting # is 705 500 860 but on the website that I linked to it says this is the newer version which is opposite the info you listed from your paperwork. Now I may be a bit more confused.LOL
    Last edited by CRUCIFIED; 03-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.

"My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CRUCIFIED View Post
    Thank you.Yes Amanda, that's what I was trying to figure.

On my Spyder the casting # is 705 500 860 but on the website that I linked to it says this is the newer version which is opposite the info you listed from your paperwork. Now I may be a bit more confused.LOL
    BRP at it's best. Sorry, that is what was on the paperwork! Maybe that was why the wrong one was sent to me??

Spyder Garage

I was thinking the same thing about BRP....nothing unusual there.

May I ask what casting number you have and which part # you purchased? Perhaps we can solve this puzzle.
    Last edited by CRUCIFIED; 03-23-2010 at 10:58 PM.

"My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Spyder Garage

Default I'll check the casting number

I'll try to check for the casting number when it gets a little lighter today. I'll also check the paperwork for what part number I received.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    I'll try to check for the casting number when it gets a little lighter today. I'll also check the paperwork for what part number I received.
    Cool. Thank you so much Amanda.

Spyder Garage

I'm working on it. Unfortunately, I think the sprocket cover has covered the casting number. I am looking for paperwork where I ordered it, seems in all the hussle and bussle of putting the bike together I didn't pay attention to where I placed all the paper work.

Spyder Garage

I'm working on it. Unfortunately, I think the sprocket cover has covered the casting number. I am looking for paperwork where I ordered it, seems in all the hussle and bussle of putting the bike together I didn't pay attention to where I placed all the paper work.
    Thank you for the effort Amanda. If it is of any help, my # is on the backside of the sprocket and its really really hard to find/read in black. I needed a flashlight and had to look from the right side of the bike (exhaust side)through the rear wheel.

Troy

Spyder Garage

I was sent part number 219400106 and the updated is 219499219. I can't see the casting number, the cover is over it.

I am actually going to see if I can find someone to make the part metal instead of plastic. It's junk!

Spyder Garage

It's junk!
    Is there something specific that you dislike?

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah.

It is junk because it is plastic it gives a little or moves a bit and it is a very tight fit. BRP should have made it metal, I was upset when I received it and found it was plastic to begin with. It already has a rather large scuff, where the paint is off and the plastic is gouged. Either it gave a bit and rubbed or a small bit of something got lodged between it and the swing arm. If it were black maybe this wouldn't show up as much but it would show the flat plastic underneath rather than the shiny paint. Maybe that wouldn't be a concern to you . Then again, it might also be because I had to have it modified, but it is basically the same plastic that is painted as the bike panels. I'm already talking to people to see about making a metal one and then powder coat it until then I'll be touching it up. My bike was done for like a day!! At least everything else is completed though!

I have bought through louispowersports several times and they are now aware of the 2009 issue, you may want to work with them to make sure to get the correct one? I'm not affiliated with them, I've just been pleased with them and have bought from them many times.

I'm not sure, but I may have found someone that can make a metal part. Another option I'm looking at is having someone make a new sprocket with that design. I'm already getting some quotes at this point.
    Last edited by Amanda B; 03-25-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

It is junk because it is plastic it gives a little or moves a bit and it is a very tight fit. BRP should have made it metal, I was upset when I received it and found it was plastic to begin with. It already has a rather large scuff, where the paint is off and the plastic is gouged. Either it gave a bit and rubbed or a small bit of something got lodged between it and the swing arm. If it were black maybe this wouldn't show up as much but it would show the flat plastic underneath rather than the shiny paint. Maybe that wouldn't be a concern to you . Then again, it might also be because I had to have it modified, but it is basically the same plastic that is painted as the bike panels. I'm already talking to people to see about making a metal one and then powder coat it until then I'll be touching it up. My bike was done for like a day!! At least everything else is completed though!

I have bought through louispowersports several times and they are now aware of the 2009 issue, you may want to work with them to make sure to get the correct one? I'm not affiliated with them, I've just been pleased with them and have bought from them many times.

I'm not sure, but I may have found someone that can make a metal part. Another option I'm looking at is having someone make a new sprocket with that design. I'm already getting some quotes at this point.
    I dropped the idea of getting one of these the first time you posted it was plastic.

Is it possible that the rims you ordered were a different casting than the originals that came on your Spyder. and that is why you had to modify this piece to get it to fit?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I dropped the idea of getting one of these the first time you posted it was plastic.

Is it possible that the rims you ordered were a different casting than the originals that came on your Spyder. and that is why you had to modify this piece to get it to fit?
    No, the problem was the sprocket and that for 2009 they used two different castings for the sprocket, so when you go to buy it, just knowing the year doesn't cut it, you need to know your casting number. Unfortunately, BRP told the dealership I bought from that the newer version of the sprocket didn't occur until 2010, which is untrue it occurred sometime during 2009.

I think I've found someone that is actually going to custom create a sprocket for me that will look like what I currently have on the bike with the cover and will match the front rims and it will be powder coated it match. That, I'm finding is a costly endeavor but I only have one estimate at this point and I've put so much time and money into it that I want to get it right so I figure I should just keep going and get it right.

Spyder Garage

I think I've found someone that is actually going to custom create a sprocket for me that will look like what I currently have on the bike with the cover and will match the front rims and it will be powder coated it match. That, I'm finding is a costly endeavor but I only have one estimate at this point and I've put so much time and money into it that I want to get it right so I figure I should just keep going and get it right.
    As the old saying goes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah but....

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    As the old saying goes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Tell that to my bank account soon it will cease to exist!

Spyder Garage

Default One more question...

Are cotter pins and retainer pins the same thing? When I look at the charts in the break area it calls for a retainer pin.

Spyder Garage

Are cotter pins and retainer pins the same thing? When I look at the charts in the break area it calls for a retainer pin.
    Probably. Yes.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Tell that to my bank account soon it will cease to exist!
    When I was younger, I had a saying that money was just little green pieces of paper you used to get what you wanted. Then I got married, and my wife cured me of that condition.

Cotter pin is also referred to as retaining pin in many applications. Do you think you found where you are missing one?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

No, I don't think I found where I was missing a pin. I've gone over the bike and the charts and I've got nothing. Everything else the power sport mechanic did, he did correctly except for using a zip tie to tie up the back wires that go to the license plate, so it rubbed the tire, which was the clicking noise. So, I don't know why I keep second guessing things just because I found the two cotter pins. I guess I'm paranoid when it comes to the bike being done correctly due to knowing it is dangerous to ride anyway and knowing the break is possibly involved. He said he did it all right, he is certified to work on Spyders, so I think I should just forget about it. He left a few other things of his here on the floor, so I'm thinking he just brought some extra stuff. I was hoping they were two different things though, so I knew 100% for certain that everything is where it is supposed to be. When I saw it called for a cotter pin for the rear tire area and a retainer pin for the break area I thought I was finished worrying! I guess I'll just take more precautions and ge it in for an oil change and a quick look over shortly.

The cotter pin for the back wheel has a different part number than the retainer pins needed for the emergency break area and the breaks, so I thought it was something different.
    Last edited by Amanda B; 03-27-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

No, I don't think I found where I was missing a pin. I've gone over the bike and the charts and I've got nothing. Everything else the power sport mechanic did, he did correctly except for using a zip tie to tie up the back wires that go to the license plate, so it rubbed the tire, which was the clicking noise. So, I don't know why I keep second guessing things just because I found the two cotter pins. I guess I'm paranoid when it comes to the bike being done correctly due to knowing it is dangerous to ride anyway and knowing the break is possibly involved. He said he did it all right, he is certified to work on Spyders, so I think I should just forget about it. He left a few other things of his here on the floor, so I'm thinking he just brought some extra stuff. I was hoping they were two different things though, so I knew 100% for certain that everything is where it is supposed to be. When I saw it called for a cotter pin for the rear tire area and a retainer pin for the break area I thought I was finished worrying! I guess I'll just take more precautions and ge it in for an oil change and a quick look over shortly.
    Hopefully since he left other stuff of his on the floor, these are extras as well. Best of luck with everything, and have fun at the show today.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

It's cold, but I'm still going. I think I'm going to freeze on the way there, but it won't be bad coming back.

Spyder Garage

It's cold, but I'm still going. I think I'm going to freeze on the way there, but it won't be bad coming back.
    Good luck and most importantly...HAVE FUN!!

Spyder Garage

You need to let us know how it went as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

So how was the show Amanda? Did you have fun?

Spyder Garage

Default It was interesting

It was a very interesting experience, I'll put it that way! I haven't been on here much lately, but I saw pictures of the work you did on your spyder! Nice job