Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Powder coating

Well I mentioned the issues ataDude said regarding the powder coating. The guy not only has his own finishing company he is a mechanic and a powersport enthusiast...so he already knew what to watch for...Whew!!

Next, is figuring out how to get that back wheel on...though I believe I found a powersports mechanic not working at my dealership that just might be able to do it. Trying to find out if he is certified to work with the spyder, he is certified for over 7 brands...we'll see...
    Everything never changes!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    Lets use the word "inexpensive" LOL!!!!
    Thanks again!
    There you go... "outing" yourself. Everything OK down there?

And, you're Welcome!

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    Well I mentioned the issues ataDude said regarding the powder coating. The guy not only has his own finishing company he is a mechanic and a powersport enthusiast...so he already knew what to watch for...Whew!!

Next, is figuring out how to get that back wheel on...though I believe I found a powersports mechanic not working at my dealership that just might be able to do it. Trying to find out if he is certified to work with the spyder, he is certified for over 7 brands...we'll see...
    The one other area to watch for (on powdercoating) is the far right side of the hub where the brake rotor bolts on. You really don't want any there, either... on the flats -or- the round center hub.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks ataDude...I will pass that on! I guess we all know who bought your rims! I saw them and debated getting them, didn't have the money at the time.

Spyder Garage

Default Tom??

Yes, that or Rusteoleum, one of the engine paints or something like Zero-Rust http://www.zerorustusa.com/?gclid=CP...FSlJagodAj6zfg. I was thinking that it might be slick to put it on in lateral stripes - sort of a turbine effect ( or hamster wheel ).

Is there anything I could just paint directly over the rims or would I need to sand it first? I'm thinking of trying your idea on the peg brackets.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    There you go... "outing" yourself. Everything OK down there?

And, you're Welcome!

Doin good. Got the rear wheel put on during the 12K service at no cahrge, and Ill put the fronts on when I drag my butt into the garage. Might even get the yellow panels on before Daytona, but no gaurantees!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks ataDude...I will pass that on! I guess we all know who bought your rims! I saw them and debated getting them, didn't have the money at the time.
    LOL
    I didnt have it either, but couldnt pass up that deal! Wanna buy some stock wheels....LOL

Spyder Garage

Default Umm...no

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    LOL
    I didnt have it either, but couldnt pass up that deal! Wanna buy some stock wheels....LOL
    Just sold my front stock rims myself!

Spyder Garage

Is there anything I could just paint directly over the rims or would I need to sand it first? I'm thinking of trying your idea on the peg brackets.
    Amanda, I will take a look at some paint options today. In general, no - it won't take a lot of sanding - if any. Most "tough" new paints will go on and bond with the existing paint. Since you are not looking for a deep gloss or clear coat type of finish, just removing all the dirt, wax or oil with a solvent will probably be enough for a 'flat' finish.

Epoxy based paints like the ZeroRust should bond to the existing paint just fine. I am assuming you are going for a flat black for the peg brackets - right?

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Amanda, I will take a look at some paint options today. In general, no - it won't take a lot of sanding - if any. Most "tough" new paints will go on and bond with the existing paint. Since you are not looking for a deep gloss or clear coat type of finish, just removing all the dirt, wax or oil with a solvent will probably be enough for a 'flat' finish.

Epoxy based paints like the ZeroRust should bond to the existing paint just fine. I am assuming you are going for a flat black for the peg brackets - right?

Tom
    Yep, going for a flat black or any kind of black for that matter, just want them to blend in more. Thank you so much! I think that would probably be a less time consuming thing than taking the brackets off for a powder coat. If/when I get it all completed I will have to post pictures for everyone, because everyone on here has been extremely helpful!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rims

I'm buying new rims and having them powder coated, back and front. What do I need beside the rims? Because I'm not good at technical stuff if you can give me part numbers that would be great. From reading on here I need bearings and a seal or something...but I don't know which ones to get or where to get them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    I was thinking about doing the same thing but figured id wait a while and maybe someone will come out with some stylish aftermarket rims where all I have to do is swap the tire on the

Spyder Garage

Default Stupid back rim!

Quote Originally Posted by Badasz View Post
    I was thinking about doing the same thing but figured id wait a while and maybe someone will come out with some stylish aftermarket rims where all I have to do is swap the tire on the
    If you are going just for front rims apparently you won't have much of a problem, but if you want the back rim to match, that is where I'm finding I'm running into all types of problems. Too late for me to look back at this point, gotta keep pushing forward and hope everything works out. Eventually, if I throw enough money at it I guess it will get fixed. I never look before I leap

Spyder Garage

Default I think . . . . .

I never look before I leap
    . . . . that is called Xtreme Charm.

Amanda, sorry I was tied up yesterday and today and didn't get back to you on the paint for the foot peg brackets. I took a quick look and there were a couple of options, yeah, Rust-Oleum had a couple of metal (flat black) paints that looked like they would do fine, not much to do in the prep department and they looked pretty tough.

Also, I ran across PlastiDip, black, in a spray can at Home Depot. From what I could tell, it looked like it would match the black textured body panels - but that is just my guess.
    http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
    "Rubberizing" the brackets appealed to me - your mileage, may vary.

The other thing I thought of was using the spray version of the those truck bed coatings. Rust-Oleum has one and there were also other brands around. Most have a flat non-skid finish - I would want to see that before I applied it. Most of these are an epoxy based 'paint' and are super tough. I think these would require a lot more care and attention in application - they are "permanent" and mistakes in masking off things and the Spyder will also be "permanent". They also apply differently than paint, practice may be called for to get a feel for how to apply them.

Out of the 3 options I looked at, I think I like the spray PlastiDip the best. Mainly, the prep was very low and if you don't like it, it will just peel off like a rubber glove.

Maybe before the weekend, I will give the PlastiDip spray a try on my Spyder - if I do, I will post pictures. (see, you got me thinking about this)

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Tom in NM;181871]. . . . that is called Xtreme Charm.

Sure, until you leap in a big pile of dog poo...which has happened on too many occasions for me to count!

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'm going to try the plastidip, sounds like a good option. I am going to practice on something else first and then do the back pegs which I can remove first. I will then work very carefully on the front ones. Maybe I'll get to that this weekend, but I don't know. I would love to see pictures if you do it!

Spyder Garage

Default Talked to my brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . that is called Xtreme Charm.

Amanda, sorry I was tied up yesterday and today and didn't get back to you on the paint for the foot peg brackets. I took a quick look and there were a couple of options, yeah, Rust-Oleum had a couple of metal (flat black) paints that looked like they would do fine, not much to do in the prep department and they looked pretty tough.

Also, I ran across PlastiDip, black, in a spray can at Home Depot. From what I could tell, it looked like it would match the black textured body panels - but that is just my guess.
    http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
    "Rubberizing" the brackets appealed to me - your mileage, may vary.

The other thing I thought of was using the spray version of the those truck bed coatings. Rust-Oleum has one and there were also other brands around. Most have a flat non-skid finish - I would want to see that before I applied it. Most of these are an epoxy based 'paint' and are super tough. I think these would require a lot more care and attention in application - they are "permanent" and mistakes in masking off things and the Spyder will also be "permanent". They also apply differently than paint, practice may be called for to get a feel for how to apply them.

Out of the 3 options I looked at, I think I like the spray PlastiDip the best. Mainly, the prep was very low and if you don't like it, it will just peel off like a rubber glove.

Maybe before the weekend, I will give the PlastiDip spray a try on my Spyder - if I do, I will post pictures. (see, you got me thinking about this)

Tom
    I found out a little bit about the plastidip as my brother has been trying to think of something to use.

What he said: "Plasitidip I've tried, I actually have a can in my tool-box. I used it on a adjustable wrench and it peeled right off....it was crap. The only plasticdip I've tried that worked (decent, still didn't last a week) was the actual dip. I even bead-blasted the handle and then painted it, it still peeled off. I'd get whatever type of paint you want, and get a can of the stuff in the earlier e-mail ( http://www.skygeek.com/tempo-a-702-green-zinc-phosphate-primer.html ). First just try painting it. If it doesn't take, then we can sand down to bare metal and start with that special primer. "

I'm guessing it just peels off way too easily.
    Last edited by Amanda B; 02-19-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Very interesting. We have a place that is about 1 hour away that does the liner stuff. I am not too sure I would trust them enough to have them do it while the brackets are still on the Spyder, but then again they do know what they are doing and may actually do a good job.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default I believe

I think they have the spray liner stuff that you can do yourself. I know my brother did his own truck bed and it turned out very nice. I'm probably going to look into that today. I'm going to buy several options and play with them a bit before I decide.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a plan. Then you can let the rest of us know what works well, and what was not worth the effort.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default Testing a product today

So, today I am testing Krylon Semi-Flat Rust Tough Enamel. I am trying it on one of the pegs I took off first (since I have replacements anyway) to see how that goes. If that doesn't work out well...on to Plan B (Herculiner), I have four other pegs to test anyway! But, obviously I'd love for this first option to work out!
    Last edited by Amanda B; 02-21-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Black Rims on EBAY

I'm buying new rims and having them powder coated, back and front. What do I need beside the rims? Because I'm not good at technical stuff if you can give me part numbers that would be great. From reading on here I need bearings and a seal or something...but I don't know which ones to get or where to get them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Hi Amanda B, Have you checked out the black rims on Ebay? There are both front and rear. This may save you some cash. Here's the link, http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...at=10063&bkBtn=.
    Good luck.
    1Venom

Spyder Garage

Default Wheels r trouble!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    Hi Amanda B, Have you checked out the black rims on Ebay? There are both front and rear. This may save you some cash. Here's the link, http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...at=10063&bkBtn=.
    Good luck.
    1Venom
    I already purchased a set from eBay, hopefully it comes with all the bearings!

To those wondering:

Don't use the Krylon Rust Tough stuff looks nice, but it might be tough on rust; however, a finger nail will scratch it off....on to Plan B...
    Last edited by Amanda B; 02-22-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

I bought the front rims, the sprocket cover, and the rear wheel for a little over $800 delivered. I asked and was told the bearings and seals and everything needed to put the rear wheel on was included...so at least there's that...but now I gotta figure out how to get the wheels on....and I still want to have them powder coated....I know I'm probably asking for trouble...but once the idea gets in my head it's hard to abandon it...sort of like the captains that go down with their sinking ship...

Ummmm....ataDude are you for hire....lol!! Did you at least end up having the bike the way that you wanted....meaning is there light at the end of the complicated, dark tunnel?
    If you can wait a few months.. I'll have a black powdercoated rear wheel/sprocket for sale.

Spyder Garage

Default Powder coating

Quote Originally Posted by asmdjackal View Post
    If you can wait a few months.. I'll have a black powdercoated rear wheel/sprocket for sale.
    I hopefully will have mine finished by then as there is a bike show coming up at the end of next month.

Spyder Garage

Don't use the Krylon Rust Tough stuff looks nice, but it might be tough on rust; however, a finger nail will scratch it off....on to Plan B...
    Thanks for that information! Hopefully you will have better luck with Plan B.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default While I'm waiting

While I'm waiting on the Herculiner I figured I'd try some tractor paint. Sanded, used auto primer and tractor paint...no go!
    Last edited by Amanda B; 02-24-2010 at 03:10 PM.