Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New rims, what do I need...

I'm buying new rims and having them powder coated, back and front. What do I need beside the rims? Because I'm not good at technical stuff if you can give me part numbers that would be great. From reading on here I need bearings and a seal or something...but I don't know which ones to get or where to get them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Everything never changes!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    I'm buying new rims and having them powder coated, back and front. What do I need beside the rims? Because I'm not good at technical stuff if you can give me part numbers that would be great. From reading on here I need bearings and a seal or something...but I don't know which ones to get or where to get them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Nothing else will be needed for the front. However, the rear is going to require about $200 (parts only) in bearings, spacers, seals, etc. It's a job for the dealer... after doing it myself.

On the powder coating (which must be done before any bearing hardware is installed), make sure the coater masks off the bearing and seal races... otherwise, there will be about two hours of extra work trying to strip the coating off before the bearings and seals can be installed.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default What!

$200 for bearing and spacers!!! I can't just re-use what I already have? Why so expensive??? What makes it difficult to do? Just wondering if I can just have my brother do it...
    Last edited by Amanda B; 02-15-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

$200 for bearing and spacers!!! I can't just re-use what I already have? Why so expensive??? What makes it difficult to do? Just wondering if I can just have my brother do it...
    Amanda, you really need to read Atadude's posting on what he did.

You will laugh, you will cry - you will better understand his avatar.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

I would consider buying BRP's black, custom wheels, front and rear. A lot of variables involved in the powder coating. If the accidentally or negligently coat the wrong portions, the bearings and seals will not fit. This is a big headache. Total costs are similar, unless you can get the coating done real right. Ask AtaDude how his project went.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default I'm starting to see why people are ditching the spyder

They made it impossible to do so many things, unless of course you are rich and have unlimited money. To do one thing you've got to spend tons of money to do something else first and pay dealers tons of money for them to do it because they made it so complex the average Joe, even one with mechanical knowledge, just can't do it.

So now not only do I pay like $800 for rims and then $300 for powder coating and pray they do it right...I have to pay another $200 for bearings and little things that shouldn't cost that much and then at least $100 for the dealers to put it on...scam!!! I'm starting to think it was made so complex so we would be stuck paying them more money and that parts were made cheaply for the same reason, I am now replacing another part and it's the second time it broke because it's cheap. I'm already crying...dang expensive bike!!

My venting day...I guess....I'll get over it...and shell out more money...again!
    Last edited by Amanda B; 02-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

The $200 for new bearings and seals is also the primary reason I am waiting until my rear tire needs to be replaced before getting that wheel and sprocket powder coated black to match my fronts. I figure it would be best to dump all the cash at one time, and leave it with the dealer while the powder coating is being done.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Amanda, you really need to read Atadude's posting on what he did.

You will laugh, you will cry - you will better understand his avatar.

Tom
    Oh... you mean this one?
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14501

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Do you think I would get lucky enough

Any chance they will include all that junk, bearings and stuff with the rear black rim from BRP??

Spyder Garage

http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessori...tail/219400105

It states the rear rim and hub are sold as a kit, but does not mention anything about the bearings and seals. You can definitely see there is no powder coating on the bearing race wall. They also have a black sprocket cover for $99. I am wondering how things would look if I just threw that sprocket cover on there for now?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Yes, that is the one - I looked for it but couldn't find it to post the link. That postings is one of the things that underscores your signature for me. That is not a fence I am going to pee on!

Amanda, I agree with your comment about some of the maintenance being overly complicated and expensive.

I would not do the rear tire/bearings until I had to. But I would not mess with powder coating the back wheel anyway - you cannot see it enough for it to make a significant impact - certainly at the price. I would spend an afternoon cleaning it up, masking it off and painting it - in place - a flat/semi-gloss black - or red or whatever color works for you. It would take some time, and it is tight work, but with patience, almost anyone can do it.

As I said, you cannot see that much of it or get that close to it. It will usually be dirty. Most people - even up close - probably could not tell the difference - and for sure, nobody would know how you did it while the Spyder is in motion. Put your money on the front where it really shows.

Tom

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Yes, that is the one - I looked for it but couldn't find it to post the link. That postings is one of the things that underscores your signature for me. That is not a fence I am going to pee on!

Amanda, I agree with your comment about some of the maintenance being overly complicated and expensive.

I would not do the rear tire/bearings until I had to. But I would not mess with powder coating the back wheel anyway - you cannot see it enough for it to make a significant impact - certainly at the price. I would spend an afternoon cleaning it up, masking it off and painting it - in place - a flat/semi-gloss black - or red or whatever color works for you. It would take some time, and it is tight work, but with patience, almost anyone can do it.

As I said, you cannot see that much of it or get that close to it. It will usually be dirty. Most people - even up close - probably could not tell the difference - and for sure, nobody would know how you did it while the Spyder is in motion. Put your money on the front where it really shows.

Tom
    , and you'll save a ton of money.

Spyder Garage

Default I'm checking on that

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessori...tail/219400105

It states the rear rim and hub are sold as a kit, but does not mention anything about the bearings and seals. You can definitely see there is no powder coating on the bearing race wall. They also have a black sprocket cover for $99. I am wondering how things would look if I just threw that sprocket cover on there for now?
    I'm checking on that to see if it does come with the parts...will let you know what I find out.

Spyder Garage

That is a great idea, and a much less costly one, as well Tom.

What kind of paint do you think this would require? Would Krylon do the trick?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I'm checking on that to see if it does come with the parts...will let you know what I find out.
    Thanks, I am eager to hear what you find out.

It is time for me to go install another mod that just arrived. I will check in with you again later.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default Well...it's a little late

I bought the front rims, the sprocket cover, and the rear wheel for a little over $800 delivered. I asked and was told the bearings and seals and everything needed to put the rear wheel on was included...so at least there's that...but now I gotta figure out how to get the wheels on....and I still want to have them powder coated....I know I'm probably asking for trouble...but once the idea gets in my head it's hard to abandon it...sort of like the captains that go down with their sinking ship...

Ummmm....ataDude are you for hire....lol!! Did you at least end up having the bike the way that you wanted....meaning is there light at the end of the complicated, dark tunnel?
    Last edited by Amanda B; 02-15-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default BTW

Thanks, I am eager to hear what you find out.

It is time for me to go install another mod that just arrived. I will check in with you again later.

What did ya get to put on??

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is really no worst than any other bike to customize. The custom rims on my 109 were well over $4000.00 by time I got done and that was for two of them.

If you want to play you got to pay. Not only pay out of your pocket but pay with downtime, frustration and stress. The rewards are great though when you're done.

Mine went from this.

To this.

To this.

Spyder Garage

What did ya get to put on??
    Mine was fairly simple, the new ESI Wake-Up! Brake Modulator:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d.php?p=181022
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

That is a great idea, and a much less costly one, as well Tom.

What kind of paint do you think this would require? Would Krylon do the trick?
    Yes, that or Rusteoleum, one of the engine paints or something like Zero-Rust http://www.zerorustusa.com/?gclid=CP...FSlJagodAj6zfg. I was thinking that it might be slick to put it on in lateral stripes - sort of a turbine effect ( or hamster wheel ).

I bought the front rims, the sprocket cover, and the rear wheel for a little over $800 delivered - - - - now I gotta figure out how to get the wheels on....and I still want to have them powder coated....I know I'm probably asking for trouble...but once the idea gets in my head it's hard to abandon it...sort of like the captains that go down with their sinking ship...
    Amanda, I know just what you mean - I am the same way. Of course, now you have me thinking and that my back wheel would look great if it were a deep red. I was thinking of putting red reflective tape on it - just the edges - I did that with my license plate and like how it looks.

My front wheels are custom chromed and also painted. I didn't do them - I got them [included the nearly new tires] off eBay for an incredibly low price - about the price of the tires alone. I was going to paint them red, but I have ended up really liking the silver paint and chrome. I might do the spoke edges in red - if I don't like it, I will take it off.

Spyder Garage

Those are some sharp looking front wheels Tom.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

... I asked and was told the bearings and seals and everything needed to put the rear wheel on was included...so at least there's that...
    I don't know for sure but I would bet against all of the hardware being included... for that price. Sorry.

Ummmm....ataDude are you for hire....lol!! Did you at least end up having the bike the way that you wanted....meaning is there light at the end of the complicated, dark tunnel?
    No, no, no. I would never do that particular job again.

And, yepper, it was all black and yellow... and I mean all... before I sold it. In my eyes, it was what was needed. Too bad it didn't fix the steering.

After I stripped and sold it, someone on this board picked up a heck of a deal on a complete set of black wheels... for cheap.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Well I guess I'll pray

I don't know for sure but I would bet against all of the hardware being included... for that price. Sorry.

I got that in writing, that all the hardware needed would be there.
    It is also someone I have used several other times to get parts and have always been pleased. I'll have to post an update when it comes. Of course, now I'm going to worry while I wait....

Was kidding anyway!

And, yepper, it was all black and yellow... and I mean all... before I sold it. In my eyes, it was what was needed. Too bad it didn't fix the steering.

After I stripped and sold it, someone on this board picked up a heck of a deal on a complete set of black wheels... for cheap.

Stupid steering!!
    Last edited by Amanda B; 02-15-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lets use the word "inexpensive" LOL!!!!
    Thanks again!