Spyder Garage

Default BRP Trailer Hitch Installation

I'm curious if anyone has installed the BRP trailer hitch on their RT. If so, how was it? I've looked through the instructions & figure I can do it myself, but would be interested in some experienced assessments.

Thanks,
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

You may want to send Dave01 a PM about it. He just installed one on his new RT and posted this thread earlier: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17160
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I watched my mechanic do mine today. The worse part was taking most of the rear section ( fender, left inner fender, left turn signal pod, etc) off to run the wire for the plug. The hitch itself was fairly easy, but did require a rubber mallet to get it to slide over the swing-arm. When removing the fender, there are 2 screws located under the bottom that are not listed in the instructions.

Spyder Garage

How long did it take him?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My dealer (who has never installed one) says it' supposed to be a two hour job (charge two hours of labor).

While I did look over the installation instructions, I'd like to have a soft copy to study further. Does anyone know where I could get them?

Thanks,
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It was around 3.5 hours. My mechanic is meticulous when it comes to working on the Spyders and it was his first hitch install. He went by the book with the instructions but now knows a few changes he could have done.

Spyder Garage

I finished the installation last night. I first did the wiring harness, which took me several hours, but I'm slow and used the installation as an excuse to make a couple of runs to my favorite store: Harbor Freight. The 1-7/8" ball required a 1-1/8" socket to tighten because the hitch has a recessed area in which the bolt sits which makes a wrench unusable. It's funny how that one socket cost $140. I also figure it is magnetic because there were a lot of other tools with it when I checked out.
    Anyway, at one point I had 35 screws & 3 bolts out for that part of the project.

The hitch installation was much different & much easier than I expected. I even had a professional motorcycle "wrench" over to help with that part. I was concerned that I'd have to remove the axle and screw up all the alignment adjustments, but didn't. The long bolt that comes with the hitch slides through the middle of the hollow axle! How about that???

Now it's on. I'm all hitched up & nowhere to go! (No word on my trailer ETA yet)

By the way, it's a pretty ugly hitch. Really detracts from the good looks of the RT.

One last thing, the caps that fit the axle ends no longer will fit. It'll have to see what Magic Man comes up with. I'm sure he's already working on it...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    By the way, it's a pretty ugly hitch. Really detracts from the good looks of the RT.
    Nice thing is that it comes off easy too, in case you arent trailering for a while

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Seeking BRP Hitch installation instructions

Hello, I am looking for the BRP RT trailer hitch kit installation instructions, not just text, but the photos, too. If you have this as a file, would you please email to: garyberger@cox.net

Thank you very much!!
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Hello, I am looking for the BRP RT trailer hitch kit installation instructions, not just text, but the photos, too. If you have this as a file, would you please email to: garyberger@cox.net

Thank you very much!!
    Here ya go:

http://srasacramento.weebly.com/uplo...tion_sheet.pdf

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post

Perfect...thanks!!!
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!