Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

well I got a second set of ballasts from Custom Dynamics, installed it... and.... same problems... VSS faults, and the stuck accelerator issue... the Spyder just doesnt like a second set of HIDs... even with the ground wire from the coil and a fully charged battery, so back goes the original foglight bulbs and the Spyder is happy again... I guess I'm gonna have to live without the 4 HIDs...
    Last edited by leo76dragon; 02-24-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Kewlmetal Intake, NMN HID headlights, Scorpio Alarm, LED mud flaps, triple play, fender tips, LeoVince exhaust, Juice Box...

Spyder Garage

Default really late to this party . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by leo76dragon View Post
    well I got a second set of ballasts from Custom Dynamics, installed it... and.... same problems... VSS faults, and the stuck accelerator issue... the Spyder just doesnt like a second set of HIDs... even with the ground wire from the coil and a fully charged battery, so back goes the orignal foglight bulbs and the Spyder is happy again... I guess I'm gonna have to live without the 4 HIDs...
    . . . . but, I was wondering if you could tell if any of your other mods ( like the alarm ) in conjunction with with HID lights/ballasts triggered this problem?

This is not my field, but the ballast may be boosting interference or effecting or inter-reacting with one of your other mods - again, the alarm system being the prime candidate.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default Extra extra late to this party..

I found the same issue with my 09 GS (RS/Phantom).
    HIDS in the head lights and fog lights. When the fog lights are on and I attempt to start the Spyder I get VSS/Check Engine warnings.

I've also experienced the high RPMs on start with the fogs on.
    Also experienced a complete shutdown on the highway when I turned the fog lights on. (had to pull over and pull the relay out).

* I'm going to rewire the fogs to directly to a new relay and pull power directly from the battery instead of using the Spyders wiring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    I found the same issue with my 09 GS (RS/Phantom).
    HIDS in the head lights and fog lights. When the fog lights are on and I attempt to start the Spyder I get VSS/Check Engine warnings.

I've also experienced the high RPMs on start with the fogs on.
    Also experienced a complete shutdown on the highway when I turned the fog lights on. (had to pull over and pull the relay out).

* I'm going to rewire the fogs to directly to a new relay and pull power directly from the battery instead of using the Spyders wiring.
    And that's why some of us pay a little more for the ESI HID's. They work right out of the box without rewiring or trying to work around the cheaper aftermarket kits.

Plug and Play from ESI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    And that's why some of us pay a little more for the ESI HID's. They work right out of the box without rewiring or trying to work around the cheaper aftermarket kits.

Plug and Play from ESI

I thought Leo was using the Custom Dynamic's ones, which should be the same as the ESI ones, and he couldn't get his to work either. Yet I have seen quite a few others, like yours, that don't have any problems at all. Does this sound like it is mainly an issue of how they are installed, whether that be grounding or anything else?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

I thought Leo was using the Custom Dynamic's ones, which should be the same as the ESI ones, and he couldn't get his to work either. Yet I have seen quite a few others, like yours, that don't have any problems at all. Does this sound like it is mainly an issue of how they are installed, whether that be grounding or anything else?
    Looks like cheap ebay HID's to me
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...06&postcount=1

Spyder Garage

well I got a second set of ballasts from Custom Dynamics, installed it... and.... same problems... VSS faults, and the stuck accelerator issue... the Spyder just doesnt like a second set of HIDs... even with the ground wire from the coil and a fully charged battery, so back goes the original foglight bulbs and the Spyder is happy again... I guess I'm gonna have to live without the 4 HIDs...
    Sorry Lamont, I should have quoted the post I was talking about like I am doing now. This is Leo, the original poster's last comment on the issue. He was trying to use the Custom Dynamic's HID kits, and apparently couldn't get them to work even after switching out the ballasts.

I already know the other thread quite well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Sorry Lamont, I should have quoted the post I was talking about like I am doing now. This is Leo, the original poster's last comment on the issue. He was trying to use the Custom Dynamic's HID kits, and apparently couldn't get them to work even after switching out the ballasts.

I already know the other thread quite well.
    Motavar bumped this thread up from Feb. and that's who I was responding to seeing he just made that other post.

You're right, the CD are the same and they can have issues too but when you buy HID's from a Spyder vendor you're going to get help when things don't go right because they know the Spyder. That's worth something right there.

Spyder Garage

Motavar bumped this thread up from Feb. and that's who I was responding to seeing he just made that other post.

You're right, the CD are the same and they can have issues too but when you buy HID's from a Spyder vendor you're going to get help when things don't go right because they know the Spyder. That's worth something right there.
    Thanks, and I understand that completely. I didn't pay attention to the original posting dates either.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

sorry I didnt post a conclusion from last year... but to get it working, I ended placing the ballasts in areas where it's not touching the frame and I used a lot of wire loom to keep the wires away from the frame... and I must have had a bad bulb, so I used another set from a different company and the HIDs are working great now... Custom Dynamics helped out a little bit, but in the end I just figured it myself... hopefully... LOL... but no problems and the bike works great...
    Kewlmetal Intake, NMN HID headlights, Scorpio Alarm, LED mud flaps, triple play, fender tips, LeoVince exhaust, Juice Box...

Spyder Garage

sorry I didnt post a conclusion from last year... but to get it working, I ended placing the ballasts in areas where it's not touching the frame and I used a lot of wire loom to keep the wires away from the frame... and I must have had a bad bulb, so I used another set from a different company and the HIDs are working great now... Custom Dynamics helped out a little bit, but in the end I just figured it myself... hopefully... LOL... but no problems and the bike works great...
    Thanks for the update Leo, I am glad to hear you were able to get things sorted out.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We had the same problems with failure to start and fault codes. But as I said in a previous post, when I installed 30amp relay and a direct fused line from the battery all interference to computers went away. Frenchies HID headlights are triggered with the time delay relay and they light as soon as the key is turned on. This way high voltage spike is over before trying to start the motor. It also leaves the headlights on for about 20 sec. after the key is turned off, just like an expensive car. machinegunner

Spyder Garage

Sounds that way to me. Shielded wire, though expensive, may solve the problem. In general, good grounding is a must. Ground points have to be clean and tight in order to work properly. Wire size is important too. I've been called to work on machines that someone has modified in some way or tried to fix and had a poor ground. An easy fix if you just pay attention. If you add a ground somewhere other than the main ground or buss, and you can't clean the grounding point try using an internal toothed washer between the wire and frame. The teeth will dig in to the metal. I've used this trick before.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Hello All,
    I am in search of a solution to get my Spyder started... I have only 700 miles on my Phantom Spyder and it won't start... I'm getting a VSS fault when I try to start my Spyder and it doesnt start..... the engine can rotate over and then just cuts off.... I'm hoping that if I take it to the dealer he doesnt blame my light modifications, and or kewlmetal intake... any suggestions would be great... thank you!

Dennis
    I was having issues starting. I had a metal key ring on the key. I replaced with a plastic ring and have have not had any more issues. Possible interference?