Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not your typical modified Spyder

SpyderLovers avert your eyes! I've done extensive work to my Spyder, so much so that the State of California no longer recognizes it as a Can-Am. I'm still deciding on what to call it.

I realize that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but please be kind. This has taken a year of long hours and late nights, as well as nearly my entire bank account to accomplish.

More details to follow. Questions gladly answered!

Thanks,
    Hong

Spyder Garage

Wow!! Would love to see it.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

That looks great!! And you're right. You can hardly tell a Spyder is in there!!

You obviously have talent in design.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Like the Green Lotus Elise there!!!! How is that to drive?

Spyder Garage

Now if i can just decide on a windshield !!
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
    Like the Green Lotus Elise there!!!! How is that to drive?
    It's okay - for a car...

Of course I kid, but honestly the Elise is our handling target for this vehicle. It belongs to our Vehicle Engineering Lead. He designed both vehicles (well, S1 Elise, but it is essentially the same).

-Hong

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have one word, AWESOME truly a one of a kind hope to see it one day.

Spyder Garage

I would like to see it too. Cool

What are you doing for stearing? A Wheel or bars?

More pictures please

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FISH65 View Post
    I would like to see it too. Cool

What are you doing for stearing? A Wheel or bars?

More pictures please
    I'll let everyone know when we're down in SoCal. I'm looking for Leno.

Steering is similar to a car. Or should I say a go-kart.

Spyder Garage

A lot of long and hard work has been put into that Spyder/Car

Looks pretty cool and different
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

I admire your vision.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Wow, that's great. Please give us some details.

Spyder Garage

Default bad a$$

gotta have one
    SPYDRRR

Spyder Garage

WOW.... Very unique!! I'd love to see it in person. You are VERY talented.

Can I have the Porsche??

I used to have a really nice 1985.5 944... sold it after I bought the Spyder.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Wow, that's great. Please give us some details.
    Thanks Lamonster! Vehicle specifications are probably well known to the Spyder crowd. We keep the powertrain and mechanical bits the same.

Basic idea is a single vehicle donor kit. We sell the chassis and body shell. You take all the parts off your Spyder and put it on our vehicle. Registration varies state to state, but here in California it is considered a new vehicle and gets a new VIN.

We've only gained about 150lbs over BRP's claimed dry weight, and are actually lighter than the new RT model. Performance should remain quite good, with better handling given the longer and wider stance.

We keep all the safety systems (ABS, VSS, EBD, DPS, etc.) and add a bit more insurance in having a tubular steel space-frame surrounding the occupants, roll bars (to be fabricated) and 5 point racing harnesses.

I'm hoping to sell the chassis and body with all necessary parts to do the conversion (pedals, steering shaft, shifter) to current Spyder owners. We can also sell complete vehicles using brand new Spyders for folks who want to go that route.

SpyderGirl,

I'll have to take it out for a NorCal Spyder Rally if you folks will have me.

-Hong

Spyder Garage

Way cool. I am sure that you will have many miles of fun and enjoyment. But if you think that we get questions about are spyders look out for this cool machine!welcome
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Spyder Garage

Got any idea on the price of the kit? How's the cooling?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican_Racing View Post
    Thanks Lamonster! Vehicle specifications are probably well known to the Spyder crowd. We keep the powertrain and mechanical bits the same.

Basic idea is a single vehicle donor kit. We sell the chassis and body shell. You take all the parts off your Spyder and put it on our vehicle. Registration varies state to state, but here in California it is considered a new vehicle and gets a new VIN.

We've only gained about 150lbs over BRP's claimed dry weight, and are actually lighter than the new RT model. Performance should remain quite good, with better handling given the longer and wider stance.

We keep all the safety systems (ABS, VSS, EBD, DPS, etc.) and add a bit more insurance in having a tubular steel space-frame surrounding the occupants, roll bars (to be fabricated) and 5 point racing harnesses.

I'm hoping to sell the chassis and body with all necessary parts to do the conversion (pedals, steering shaft, shifter) to current Spyder owners. We can also sell complete vehicles using brand new Spyders for folks who want to go that route.

SpyderGirl,

I'll have to take it out for a NorCal Spyder Rally if you folks will have me.

-Hong

Spyder Garage

Spyabusa Rex???
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default another nice new idea

It's always nice to see new ideas. I can only imagine the hours put in it. Side by side seating. Looks like a heck of a lot of fun and I'm sure it scoots too.
    That being said, I'm gonna keep my Spyder but keep up the GREAT work. That's something to be proud of. I'm amazed with what people can come up with. Best of luck to ya !

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Great job

I admire people like yourself so much. I wish I had the talent to do things like that. There are so many people on this site that are so talented and knowlegable. I'm so jealous. Well great job and thanks for sharing.

Spyder Garage

I would still consider it as a Spyder .... I can see that the builder stayed true to the Spyder theme and retained most if not all of its parts and highly modified the remaining area. Very original. I am a little suprised to see that you kept the OEM exaust can and didn't go over to the Hindle.

PS. What a beautiful garage. I thought it was Leno's at first look.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Looks like it might be tricky to get in and out of. I assume you plan on painting it and refining it?
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah .... one question. Does the front wheels canterlever when turning or stays straight up like the Spyder?
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

That is a very cool concept brought to life.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm hoping to keep the kit under $10k, but that might be higher if we continue to fabricate in Silicon Valley, which is extremely expensive.

Cooling shouldn't be an issue because we're going to have a dedicated vent on the passenger side just for the radiator. There is also room to install a larger unit if we need to. The motor is also air-cooled to some degree since it is no longer buried underneath all that bodywork on the Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    I would still consider it as a Spyder .... I can see that the builder stayed true to the Spyder theme and retained most if not all of its parts and highly modified the remaining area. Very original. I am a little suprised to see that you kept the OEM exaust can and didn't go over to the Hindle.

PS. What a beautiful garage. I thought it was Leno's at first look.
    As the "builder" I would have to agree with you! The idea is to keep 90% of the Spyder's parts so everything works together as it was engineered and also keeps the final vehicle cost lower.

That was one reason we use the OEM exhaust. The other being that we wanted to stay in compliance with CARB regulations for emissions and smog pollution in California. I don't know if the Hindle has cats inside.

I wish that was my garage, but that angle is only a small part of it. We hope to be in/on Jay's Garage in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    Looks like it might be tricky to get in and out of. I assume you plan on painting it and refining it?
    It's quite easy to enter/exit the vehicle once you know the procedure and get a bit of practice. I think it's a lot easier than getting into and out of the Lotus Elise!

Paint and a bit of polish are coming up soon before we release info and images to the media.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Oh yeah .... one question. Does the front wheels canterlever when turning or stays straight up like the Spyder?
    All wheels camber in/out to some degree while turning and absorbing bumps due to the SLA suspension design. But we retained the factory geometry and mounting locations, so the suspension is essentially the same. The Spyder components are quite nice, but the key is going to be in the tuning and setup.

Thanks,
    Hong