Thread: AUTO SHIFT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default AUTO SHIFT

Was surprised to find out that the auto shift was a 1,500.00 option. Seems like an awful lot but thats ok , wanted the standard shift anyway. Going for a demo ride as soon as the weather gets better. Dam winter anyway. Seems like some spyder owners feel the engine is turning to many R.P.M.s at highway speeds. Maybe thats why they dont get vary good gas millage Whats your thoughts Looking for some feedback before i take the plunge THANKS

Spyder Garage

The Spyder engine is not a 2,000 rpm cruiser. It needs the revs. Too low on the tach and your mileage will actually get worse. There is a lot more to mileage than the size of the engine and weight of the machine. This is a three wheel, three track machine, with wide tires and a lot more rolling friction than a two wheeled motorcycle. It also has a lot more frontal area than a bike, and less slippery aerodynamics than a faired motorcycle. Those are what kills the mileage. It is unfair to compare to a bike. It is what it is, as they say. Don't buy if you expect it to change, or if the thought of 30 mpg will drive you nuts. Not trying to be a wet blanket, but you have to love any machine for what it is...not hate it for what it lacks.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Well said Scotty.

The SE transmission has always been a $1500 option as far as I know. Although I wasn't really looking for an SE at first, now that I own one I actually feel the paddle shifter is worth every penny.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1800vdrider View Post
    Was surprised to find out that the auto shift was a 1,500.00 option. Seems like an awful lot but thats ok , wanted the standard shift anyway. Going for a demo ride as soon as the weather gets better. Dam winter anyway. Seems like some spyder owners feel the engine is turning to many R.P.M.s at highway speeds. Maybe thats why they don't get vary good gas millage Whats your thoughts Looking for some feedback before i take the plunge THANKS
    The entire bike is an awful lot..... ......of fun, pure enjoyment.........I rode for 3 hours and part of the time I was in stop-n-go traffic. This option is a no brainer in Los Angeles. I mean if I have to have my left hand and left foot playing the trombone and tuba at the same time. when I could be fiddling with the command center instead, I mean whats more important controlling the ipod volume or down shifting - there, I down shifted, and if I wanna go from neutral to 5th i have to do this +,+,+ ,+,+ simple.....no drama with all the extra brain time I can scan the time, temp, then glance down at my garmin, and then scroll to my trip meter to see if I am on schedule, wait there is no schedule, so just get what you like

I had to learn on the demo SM5, and got a SE5, both are incredibly rewarding, less thinking for me, with no motorcycle experience, All my cars are manual, but next one maybe will be a paddle shift

gas mileage, If I go riding for 4 1/2 hours at 65miles per hour, I will have traveled 292 miles at 30 miles per gallon at $3.19 (today) for 91 octane cost = $31.04 but I would have gone from Santa Monica to Las Vegas..........and if I win at the tables .....I must be dreaming

RT-S PE#639
    Spyder Garage

Demo an SE5 & an SM5 both b4 you make up your mind. I have always preferred manual over auto (SE in this case) on most vehicles & certainly on bikes. I ordered my first Spyder in 08 with the SM5 and never got to test drive an SE5 until last November when I ordered my RT- S. After that test drive it was a no brainer my RT-S on order is an SE5. Three of us test drove the two Spyders that day and were impressed with the SE5 and preferred it over the SM5. It is so different than an auto on a car - when you stop at a light you don't have to keep the brake on, when the light changes just throttle up and you are gone & the shifting is faster than you can do manually too. You can actually come to a stop let off the throttle & get off the Spyder & it will just stay there until you get back on & apply some throttle. This system is a big advantage in stop -n -go traffic and crawling through road construction zones. I would probably have ordered the RT-S with SM5 if I hadn't read Lamont's review last fall of the SE5 and how slick he thought it was, after reading his review I new I had to test drive an SE5 prior to ordering my RT-S.
    Also the SE5 is not an automatic transmission like on a car. I think it is actually more like a manual tranny with an electric shift. Also need to know you have to shift up yourself the Spyder does not shift up. It will shift down but at much lower RPM's than I like.
    Last edited by Babymoose; 02-01-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: clarification of transmission

2008 Full Moon Spyder and 2010 RT-S SE5 PE 0639 with RT-622 trailer in timeless black.
    Everyone home safe - every time

Spyder Garage

Default It amazes me...

It amazes me how some folks can't accept the fact that some others can actually like something they don't... Here's a good example. I grew up in Tennessee, I like grits..no I love grits. you can't believe how many people through the years have said..."How can you eat that crap".. Hey.. for those of you that like grits.. you aren't confused on that issure, now are you?... Same with SE5 or SM5.. If you like it.. YOU LIKE IT.. If you don't eat some Tofu....Nuff said!!

Spyder Garage

I'm with you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1800vdrider View Post
    Whats your thoughts Looking for some feedback before i take the plunge THANKS
    I am changing my stance (opinion ) for you, get the SM5, that way it will be an easier transition for you, and if all bikers do that my SE5
    will become more rare

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Semi-Auto shift

Hello,

For starters it is a semi-auto, since you still have to push a button.

The absolute best thing about the SA shift is you can open the throttle to full and just push the shift button when needed.

I was surprised how fast the Semi-auto shift's while under full power.
    then you come to a stop and it down shifts for you.

You are shifting half the time, since the down shifting is done for you auto-magically as you come to a stop.

And lazyness has nothing to do with it.

It makes a long ride so much more enjoyable.

I have three Goldwings I wish they had it.

I also have a Suzuki 650 that has a CVT/semi-auto shift trans that's the one I ride most often, cause it's the most fun.

Just my 2-cents

westgl