Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RIDE-ON "vs" SLIME

I have read reports that Ride-on is much better than Slime (for various reasons) but my question is "WHY"? They seem to contain essentially the same type of ingredients. I am not advocating one over the other, just looking for reasons to purchase one over the other. Slime is readily available (everywhere) and Ride-on must be ordered and pay freight. Does anyone have direct comparison knowledge of these two products, and exactly what is the chemical differences? Would appreciate your opinions.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

This is a great question, and I've been wondering the same.

Spyder Garage

My understanding is Slime is a corrosive and Ride-On isn't. I've never heard of Slime being used as a tire balancer but I know that Ride-On works great for balancing tires.

I'm just an end user but you might want to contact Slime and Ride-On and ask them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY6qvzpNXI"][/ame]

Spyder Garage

I can't vouch for the Ride-On, since I have never taken down a wheel that had it installed. I will say that Slime will corrode both steel wheels and alloy rims. I have experienced both. Some were corroded beyond future use!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I can't vouch for the Ride-On, since I have never taken down a wheel that had it installed. I will say that Slime will corrode both steel wheels and alloy rims. I have experienced both. Some were corroded beyond future use!
    I have taken down a Ride-On wheel and the wheel was fine.

Spyder Garage

Default Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I have taken down a Ride-On wheel and the wheel was fine.

Now that would definately be a good reason to choose Ride-on.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    Now that would definately be a good reason to choose Ride-on.

Michael
    We have had Ride-On for a year now. When we changed the rear tire at 16K miles, we were able to scoop out the Ride-On from old tire and put in new before installing it on the rim. We now have over 32K miles and no problems with balance. The left front wheel has lost all it's stick-on weights and is still perfectly balanced. I am sold.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Nearly 20 years ago I found a nail in the nearly new rear tire on my Goldwing the dealer sold me a bottle of New Balance and told me to leave the nail in and wear the tire out, which I did. Is this stuff still out there or is this what is now called Ride On.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    Nearly 20 years ago I found a nail in the nearly new rear tire on my Goldwing the dealer sold me a bottle of New Balance and told me to leave the nail in and wear the tire out, which I did. Is this stuff still out there or is this what is now called Ride On.
    IT WAS CALLED BALANCE
    fullmooncyclesalvage.com/index.php?main_page=product.. ..
    Last edited by PAPA G; 01-18-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

One of my Goldwing customers was on a ride and needed a new tire. He went to lunch while the new tire was being installed. When he came back the mechanic was ranting and raving about this stuff (Ride-On) he found in his tire. The mechanic told him it would ruin his rim etc. etc.. My customer called Ride-On with these concerns. One of the techs that helped develop ride-on carefuly went over all of the specs and reasured him that the Ride On would not damage his rim and in fact would help protect the rim and tire. This was folllowed up by a personal call to him from the president of Ride On. The company president told him that they are adamant about dispelling mis-information being spread about their products. My customer called to let me know what had transpired and to let me know that he was convinced that this is a very reputable product and how impressed he was with their follow up.
    We recommend Ride On to every rider who comes in our shop.
    Enough said.

Spyder Garage

Default just a silly quesiton

ride on sounds like the stuff but how do you know if you get something in your tire?
    If you do do you need to take it out?
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Spyder Garage

Just installed it in all 3 tires the other day --- took about 25 minutes. I just got a bucket of really hot water and put the bottles in the water for about 5 minutes before the install--- went in very easy.

I have no weights on my new front tires---- took it for a 60 mile ride with the ride-on the other day and everything was smooooth--- no problems at all.

I'll be using it from now on.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by truck 85 View Post
    ride on sounds like the stuff but how do you know if you get something in your tire?
    If you do do you need to take it out?
    You need to take it out when you find anything in your tire and ride it for a bit to seal the hole. Ride-On has a site and phone number. Call them and ask any question you want. Lamont knows a bit about it also.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Just installed it in all 3 tires the other day --- took about 25 minutes. I just got a bucket of really hot water and put the bottles in the water for about 5 minutes before the install--- went in very easy.

I have no weights on my new front tires---- took it for a 60 mile ride with the ride-on the other day and everything was smooooth--- no problems at all.

I'll be using it from now on.
    I just nuked mine in the microwave for a few seconds until pleasantly warm and then squeezed it in. It definitely goes in easier warm than cold.

Wish that they would produce it in those flexible tubes and provide a "key" to squeeze it in, or maybe a "caulk gun" type tube.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do you need to ride on it immediately after putting it in?

I have the back wheel off, and a new tire on order. I would like to put this in after I mount the tire but before I even reinstall the wheel since that rear vavle stem is a pain to get to. I will be quite a while before the Spyder is all back together an rideable tho. Will that be a problem?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderByter View Post

I have the back wheel off, and a new tire on order. I would like to put this in after I mount the tire but before I even reinstall the wheel since that rear vavle stem is a pain to get to. I will be quite a while before the Spyder is all back together an rideable tho. Will that be a problem?
    No, you do not need to ride on it right away. The stuff doesn't appear to dry.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

No contest. I've used both. Ride-On is by far surperior especially in the balancing aspect. Very impressed.

Ride-On is more expensive so for things like lawn mowers, etc., I still use Slime. But for anything on road I'd go with Ride-On.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride-on is good stuff. Just a reminder. They recommend the automobile type and dosage since the spyder uses car type tires. Plus it cheaper than the motorcycle type.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderByter View Post

No need to ride right away--- they state this in the instructions----- so anytime is good to put it in.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Ride-on is good stuff. Just a reminder. They recommend the automobile type and dosage since the spyder uses car type tires. Plus it cheaper than the motorcycle type.
    That's odd! When I called they recommended the motorcycle formula, due to the alloy wheels. Makes little sense, since cars have alloy wheels, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

That's odd! When I called they recommended the motorcycle formula, due to the alloy wheels. Makes little sense, since cars have alloy wheels, too.
    I looked into this at one time and I seem to remember I came away with the idea that it was the same stuff either way. The difference being container size, not product.

Of course the smaller containers for MC applications end up costing more per ounce.

I went with the Automotive stuff. I'll have to get the bottle out but I'm sure it says good to use with alloy wheels. It would be stupid to sell a product that would cause problems with alloy.

This is what it says on the Ride-On site
    Q: Does Ride-On Tire Protection System react chemically with the tires or wheels?
    A: No. Ride-On (TPS) tire sealant is chemically inert, and will not attack the tire or wheels. Ride-On (TPS) contains corrosion inhibitors that protect steel and aluminum wheels and tire belts against corrosion. Ride-On (TPS) tire sealant can be easily washed out of tires with water. It will not affect the future use of patches or other tire repairs if necessary. Ride-On (TPS) will actually help preserve the tire casing, making retreads more effective.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-20-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I looked into this at one time and I seem to remember I came away with the idea that it was the same stuff either way. The difference being container size, not product.

Of course the smaller containers for MC applications end up costing more per ounce.

I went with the Automotive stuff. I'll have to get the bottle out but I'm sure it says good to use with alloy wheels. It would be stupid to sell a product that would cause problems with alloy.
    I heartily agree! I figured it was the same stuff, too. The person on the phone said otherwise, however, when I asked specifically. Conflicting answers and murky advertising do not create a warm, fuzzy feeling. Good thing the product works so well. Perhaps the company will chime in and clarify things officially for us.....without divulging any trade secrets, of course.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

This is what it says on the Ride-On site
    Q: Does Ride-On Tire Protection System react chemically with the tires or wheels?
    A: No. Ride-On (TPS) tire sealant is chemically inert, and will not attack the tire or wheels. Ride-On (TPS) contains corrosion inhibitors that protect steel and aluminum wheels and tire belts against corrosion. Ride-On (TPS) tire sealant can be easily washed out of tires with water. It will not affect the future use of patches or other tire repairs if necessary. Ride-On (TPS) will actually help preserve the tire casing, making retreads more effective.
    glad to read that i ordered the automotive stuff yesterday, now i have a question, my rims are not balanced, do i need to balance them or will the ride-on do it for me thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by qstick7 View Post
    glad to read that i ordered the automotive stuff yesterday, now i have a question, my rims are not balanced, do i need to balance them or will the ride-on do it for me thanks
    I'm not running any weights on any of my rims with Ride-On in them.

Spyder Garage

Scotty, can you provide your input/experience as to Ride-On's ability to correct for inherent imbalance in the wheel/tire? I don't see, from the physics standpoint, how this would be likely... the vibration frequencies I would expect to see during rotation just seem too high for a passive, highly viscous fluid to be able to re-distribute and damp them out; but we've heard so much empirical evidence from users that it does work that I'm almost a believer - I just need to make sense of it.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser