Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RT Gas Gauge

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I never really noticed before but the gauge on this RT does not bounce. Maybe they just had a bad run of gauges.
    I'll take mine back to the dealer after Daytona. Maybe it will heal itself on the trip and quit BoUnCiNg.

Spyder Garage

Mine is a bouncer, and doesn't light up. I'll add it to the list of things that must be addressed. I would think a resistor or something across the leads would help dampen it, but I am no good at that type of electronics.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Reasonable Range

So if you gentlemen do not trust the gauge (me either), then what do you consider a minimum dependable range on the trip meter?

With only two fillups, PE528 gets near the red on 80 miles.
    First time, it only took 3 gallons to fill. Still going on the second tank.

Thanks,
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    So if you gentlemen do not trust the gauge (me either), then what do you consider a minimum dependable range on the trip meter?

With only two fillups, PE528 gets near the red on 80 miles.
    First time, it only took 3 gallons to fill. Still going on the second tank.

Thanks,
    I have never trusted Nancy's RS Spyder past 120 miles...although it has squeaked out just over 150. I doubt my RT will do that well. Only getting 21 mpg so far. That makes for 100 miles per gas station.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am getting about 26 mpg with mine so far with 1000 miles on it.
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the range reports. Was hoping it would do better.

I also found that somehow my trip meter had been 'paused'. Too many new toys on this thing..

Have the first one in my town and it sure does get the looks. Mostly very favorable comments.

Cappy
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I heard something interesting. I mentioned to my dealer about the crappy gas gauge and asked if there was an easy way to reset the trip meter to make that more useful.
    He said that BRP has the new design for the gas gauge in stock.
    New Design? Maybe BRP has a fix?
    More to follow when I get more info.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Some further news. As far as I can figure out. My dealer is not really clear with this.

It seems the gas gauge has been redesigned, but the new design is not yet released by quality control for general distribution.

So, from what I gather, a newly designed gas gauge is in Beta testing. How long that will is beyond me.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Have same issue with my RT gas gauge. But after doing some checking. When my low fuel light comes on solid I can go an additional 44 mile before I ran out of gas.

Have been getting between 30 and 33 mpg, depending on how hard I drive. Have 1200 miles on RT currently. Upgraded from RS to RT and Love the new ride.

Spyder Garage

Get my "new" gas gage this Thursday. I'll post a review.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Default RT fuel gage

Per usual, Lamont is dead on... the fuel gage is a relative quantity instrument on a motorcycle. Take the time to determine how far...how many miles you have in your tank... then judge your fuel needs by distance on the odometer...not the fuel gage.. Len
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've always looked at my trip meter more than my fuel gauge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Per usual, Lamont is dead on... the fuel gage is a relative quantity instrument on a motorcycle. Take the time to determine how far...how many miles you have in your tank... then judge your fuel needs by distance on the odometer...not the fuel gage.. Len
    I have to disagree. My last two motorcycles, the gas gauge was remarkably accurate. A 1984 Yamaha Venture, and a 1993 Honda ST1100.
    I got quite used to relying on the gas gauge. So, in 2010, relying solely on the trip meter is a step backward. This would be acceptable, but for one thing. The low fuel warning light comes on with the tank 40% full. For me, having the idiot light go on is impossible to ignore, like the phone ringing.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Default Ummm....?

Can't ignore what kind of light???
    Quote Originally Posted by SKS06460 View Post
    I have to disagree. My last two motorcycles, the gas gauge was remarkably accurate. A 1984 Yamaha Venture, and a 1993 Honda ST1100.
    I got quite used to relying on the gas gauge. So, in 2010, relying solely on the trip meter is a step backward. This would be acceptable, but for one thing. The low fuel warning light comes on with the tank 40% full. For me, having the idiot light go on is impossible to ignore, like the phone ringing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Can't ignore what kind of light???
    The idiot light that goes off with the low fuel warning. Last time, with the old gauge, the low fuel warning light went on when I still had over 3 gallons of gas in a 6.6 gallon tank.

Got the new gauge installed this morning. Filled up the tank and I've gone about 35 miles so far. It appears to be down by 1/8th ? Not sure yet so I'm making no claims about the accuracy (or inaccuracy).

It does, however, read fairly steady. It doesn't bounce around anymore like a whirling dervish.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post
    I am getting about 26 mpg with mine so far with 1000 miles on it.
    angie gets about 31 to 33mpg. i only get 27to 29.. 1845 miles, i use 87 and she said she uses 92 octane. well may-be thats the differance. great ride, still have to wait for them 1800's to catch up.. uuh may-be that's why the 27mpg.

Beautiful, but dangerous.
    Watch out for those blue Spyders!

Spyder Garage

I have to hand it to BRP, they have done something I never thought possible...

They have found a sender / gauge combination that is even more inaccurate than the combo on my GL1500.
    When the needle eventually stops bouncing and is grounded in the red, I still have somewhere between 7 - 8 litres left of a 25 litre tank.
    I learned a long time ago to use a trip meter as a fuel gauge.
    2010 RT-S, PE#0011 (Babyanlee's "Evil Twin" in Australia), Garmin Zumo 660

Extremely Happy 2nd Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

The good news is the gauge stopped bouncing...........
    And the bad news, as expected, it's still as innacurate as before.
    The low fuel warning light came on at about 100 miles this morning.
    Must be the sending unit.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Got the "new" gage put in this morning. Solid as a rock....I'll see how accurate it is in the next day or two.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

My dealer just called me about the gas gauge. Guess what. It turns out the gas gauge IS accurate. The tank specs are off, by about a gallon.

They took the the tank, drained it and then filled it with a measured quantity. It takes 5.5 gallons to completely fill the tank, not 6.6. The light comes on with about 1 gallon left in the tank. This is good to know. VERY good to know. Last week, I ignored the light thinking---I've only gone 110 miles, I've got PLENTY of gas. I went another 30 miles. I stopped and filled up, taking about 5.3 gallons.

So at 30 MPG, (I'm not there yet) you should start looking for gas at 135 miles. That's poor for a touring bike, but it is what it is. I've asked to see if they might possible remap the fuel injection to give better gas mileage when you're in 5th gear. We'll see what happens.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

My dealer just called me about the gas gauge. Guess what. It turns out the gas gauge IS accurate. The tank specs are off, by about a gallon.

They took the the tank, drained it and then filled it with a measured quantity. It takes 5.5 gallons to completely fill the tank, not 6.6. The light comes on with about 1 gallon left in the tank. This is good to know. VERY good to know. Last week, I ignored the light thinking---I've only gone 110 miles, I've got PLENTY of gas. I went another 30 miles. I stopped and filled up, taking about 5.3 gallons.

So at 30 MPG, (I'm not there yet) you should start looking for gas at 135 miles. That's poor for a touring bike, but it is what it is. I've asked to see if they might possible remap the fuel injection to give better gas mileage when you're in 5th gear. We'll see what happens.
    Ouch!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

That's awful and represents a false advertising claim on the part of BRP. The specs clearly show we should have 6.6 gallon tanks. I'm upset. Has anybody contacted BRP about this?

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    That's awful and represents a false advertising claim on the part of BRP. The specs clearly show we should have 6.6 gallon tanks. I'm upset. Has anybody contacted BRP about this?

Glynnk
    I'm pretty unhappy also. Is it false, or is it just a mistake converting liters to gallons ?

I just got the call about 90 minutes ago. My dealer said that he had contacted the BRP tech people and they were not happy campers.

I also asked if it was possible to fit a bigger tank. It seems unlikely. I'm not sure what happens next, but I believe there will be a change in the published specs, rather than a change in the actual gas tank.

One thing seems certain. I don't think there will be any Spyder RT's in the Iron Butt competition anytime soon.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 03-25-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    IBA #47122

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Others have posted putting in over 6 gallons after running out on their RS/GS. The RT uses the same tank as the RS/GS.....same part number for all years and models.

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty unhappy also. Is it false, or is it just a mistake converting liters to gallons ?

I just got the call about 90 minutes ago. My dealer said that he had contacted the BRP tech people and they were not happy campers.

I also asked if it was possible to fit a bigger tank. It seems unlikely. I'm not sure what happens next, but I believe there will be a change in the published specs, rather than a change in the actual gas tank.

One thing seems certain. I don't think there will be any Spyder RT's in the Iron Butt competition anytime soon.
    The BRP advertisement in their glossy brochure clearly reads--6.6 U.S. gallons. While I've got no major complaints with my RT-S this hacks me off to no end. I've emailed BRP Tech Support to see what they say.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    The BRP advertisement in their glossy brochure clearly reads--6.6 U.S. gallons. While I've got no major complaints with my RT-S this hacks me off to no end. I've emailed BRP Tech Support to see what they say.

Glynnk
    6.775 as posted here:

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...page__p__46926