Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RT Gas Gauge

Spyder Garage

Default RT Gas Gauge

I've got a little over 600 miles on the RT (taking it in Friday for the 600 mile check---gotta hold on to the wallet) and I think I actually miss the GS "bar" gas gage. The RT "needle" gauge seems to "bounce" around quite a bit. Anybody else having this kinda of problem, or is it just me? Really love this thing though!

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Registered Users Ken5517 / Wish Again's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    I've got a little over 600 miles on the RT (taking it in Friday for the 600 mile check---gotta hold on to the wallet) and I think I actually miss the GS "bar" gas gage. The RT "needle" gauge seems to "bounce" around quite a bit. Anybody else having this kinda of problem, or is it just me? Really love this thing though!

Glynnk
    Both of my RTs have done this and I relayed it to BRP

Spyder Garage

Mine is real bouncy, too. I'm not sure why they couldn't also retain the digital displays...perhaps different sending units. Having both would be nice, and would be in keeping with the "deluxe" nature of the RT-S. I also think they could dampen the gas gauge action without adding baffles to the tank, perhaps with a capacitor or resistor across the connections, if it is actually an analog gauge, and not a digital-to-analog conversion like the speedo. Annoying, but I guess we'll get used to it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Mine too
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I was told that motorcycles don't have fuel gages and ya ought to know how to look in the tank, and pay attention.........then i questioned this and this was the typical response :
    My motorcycle doesn't have a fuel gage, which works out OK most of the time, but I'd feel a lot better if I at least had a better estimate of what was going on in the tank.
    so since BRP gave us an analog gauge we can be thankful that all we need do is look at it when we start and when we stop at various locations, I am confident for the RTs 2014 edition they will have a more sophisticated computer with a greater range than the current 180 miles, but isn't it nice to know your almost on empty at 150

lets instead have with us a syphoning hose and 20 bucks if we start smelling fumes that we can get a toyota prius or Hummer to pull over and share

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    I was told that motorcycles don't have fuel gages and ya ought to know how to look in the tank, and pay attention.........
    Motorcycles did not used to have fuel gauges. Instead, they had reserve fuel tanks, reserve tank baffles, or reserve valves. When you ran out of gas, you switched to reserve and found a gas station. Not always reliable, or sufficient, hence adaption of the trick of a siphon hose carried inside the handlebars. No joke!

The advent of fuel injected motorcycles, electric fuel pumps, and automatic fuel valves changed all that. Suddenly, there was no reserve. This left two options, a "low fuel" warning light, or a fuel gauge......or both as we have on the Spyder. Can't pay attention to the tank anymore, so we have to pay attention to the dash display.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Instead, they had reserve fuel tanks, reserve tank baffles, or reserve valves.
    I always liked reserve tanks, valves, etc. much better than gas gauges. But even with a reserve valve, I still managed to run out of gas 6 miles from home. A friendly motorist stopped to help and I asked if he would stop at the Gulf Station in Bronte, Texas and tell the lady keeping books in the back that Cotton was out of gas 6 miles out of town. Then, when she stopped laughing, ask if she would bring me a gallon or two. He did so and, my wife later told me, when she stopped laughing he shook his head and said, "He said you'd do that."

Nothing's a sure thing except my lovely bride's sense of humor.

Cotton

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Motorcycles did not used to have fuel gauges. Instead, they had reserve fuel tanks, reserve tank baffles, or reserve valves. When you ran out of gas, you switched to reserve and found a gas station. Not always reliable, or sufficient, hence adaption of the trick of a siphon hose carried inside the handlebars. No joke!

The advent of fuel injected motorcycles, electric fuel pumps, and automatic fuel valves changed all that. Suddenly, there was no reserve. This left two options, a "low fuel" warning light, or a fuel gauge......or both as we have on the Spyder. Can't pay attention to the tank anymore, so we have to pay attention to the dash display.
    <<<safety police<<<

The safety police did away with reserve valve.
    Don't want you run out of gas,
    And stall out before you can turn the valve to reserve.
    Possibly causing a accident.

Spyder Garage

I've always looked at my trip meter more than my fuel gauge.

Spyder Garage

Hey guys.

I've recently sold my Yamaha XT250 dual purpose motorcycle, and I'm waiting for my RS 2010 to arrive (waiting is not fun, haha, it's taking forever, haha).

So, for me I'm am 100% coming from the world of motorcycles with absolutely no fuel gauge and just a reserve vavle that I would switch from MAIN to RESERVE when I felt the sputter of low fuel. When I first got my XT250 I actually filled the tank, started clocking the miles on the odometer and off I went, clocking how many miles I got in the main tank. Then when I ran out, I switched the reverse tank and kept counting. When I finally did run out of gas I made a note on how much gas I had in each setting, then pulled out a 1L bottle of fuel (empty soda bottle), refueled enough to get me to the nearest station. Then, each time I filled the tank to the top, I would reset Trip A, my fuel gauge haha. That is how I would know I needed fuel.

So, I'm soooo looking forward to having a fuel gauge and low fuel light, instead of tracking my fuel via the odometer. Then I'll be only using my odometer for quick look once in a while, with a smile, of more and more fun miles on my Spyder. I guess when the fuel goes low, the dash will light up and tell me.

Another cool thing about the RS I'm really looking forward to, which the XT250 didn't have, an on-board thermometer. Very nice feature.
    Cheers guys.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've always looked at my trip meter more than my fuel gauge.
    Most of my bikes never had a trip meter, though. Must be another one of those new-fangled inventions. My Triumphs had them, but for most other machines it was pretty high tech.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Most of my bikes never had a trip meter, though. Must be another one of those new-fangled inventions. My Triumphs had them, but for most other machines it was pretty high tech.
    I didn't start riding till the 70's and my oldest bike was a 69 and as far as I can remember they all had a trip meter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post

Glynnk

My RT-S fuel guage is "extremely" bouncy.... my light is coming on and needle is hitting empty, yet the most I've put in the tank is 4.5 gallons. I haven't push it to the point of running out, seems odd for a 6.6 GALLON TANK.

I as well, used the trip as my fuel guage on previous motorcycles.

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Gauge inaccurate

The gauge on my RT-S is in the red about 110 miles in, with easily 2.5 or 3 gallons of fuel left. WAY not accurate. Very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this?
    "If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space."

Registered Users Ken5517 / Wish Again's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EJody View Post
    The gauge on my RT-S is in the red about 110 miles in, with easily 2.5 or 3 gallons of fuel left. WAY not accurate. Very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this?
    I use the trip meter set a zero when I fill up.

At the half way mark I should have at least 80 miles on the trip meter, if not then I am getting less then 30 mpg.

I have run the gauge through the red and the needle dead bottom on empty (I was close to home for this gamble) and continued until I got to my regular gas station.

I was at 153.7 miles on the trip meter and still was not able to put more than 5.8 gals in the RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With those old bikes it paid to practice turning the reserve valve on quickly, while riding, lest you run out in the mountains, uphill on a steep grade.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

mine too!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel gauge

I agree with Lamont, I use the trip meter also. My gauge bounces all over the place and I rode with the warning light on for quite a distance. Took 19 litres, still had 6 litres left according to the specs.
    Danny

2010 RT-S PE103 replacement
    Life maybe short, but death is longer. One day at a time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EJody View Post

Yep ... exactly the same problem. I am due for my 600 this week and plan to bring this up. I have been trusting the trip meter ONLY. If this is a 'normal problem' then it will be the trip meter from here on out. So far the gas gauge is useless. I was driving home on a highway and the warning light came on and in a bit the gauge read totally empty. I figured in my head even at 25mpg I had at least 2 gallons left. So I got too nervous and exited for gas. Sure enough it took about 2 gallons. For now I have to only trust the trip meter.
    Some times I get 25mpg and others I get about 29.5mpg. I think the spread depends on me learning to use the gears properly ... I think.
    We just love this RT-S thing!!!

Tony

Spyder Garage

I look at the fuel gauge much like I do a GPS. A GPS may or may not get you to your exact location but it will get you close enough. The fuel gauge is the same to me, I look at my gauge and if it's getting low I look at mileage and see just how low I am. I would never count on the gauge only.

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Bouncy Gas Gauge

The gas gauge on my RT-SE5 does Not bounce.

It seems rock solid.

The Demo bike I rode was very bouncy.

They must have fixed it.

Westgl

Spyder Garage

Default gas guage

We got an early Demo #186 that had not been assembled on Jan. 5, gas guage bouncy, dealer ordered and replaced fuel pump assembly , did not correct problem I suppose first year growing pains, Is very consistent empty at 4.5 gal. 150 miles comfortably last tank mileage improved slightly at 29.4 my wife is not easy on it also had trailer module go to gropund lost fuse that feeds it also feeds reverse actuator, brake lights never failed just running and turn signals.Dealer had a module replaced in few minutes .

Spyder Garage

Default RT Gas Gauge Update

Talked to the dealer today about the bouncing gas gauge and an email I received fron Carlo suggesting the dealer could fix the problem. Dealer called BRP and they're shipping out a replacement gauge. The impression I have is that it's different although someone else posted a comment elsewhere that they had a replacement as well, but that it still "bounced". So I guess I'll wait and see.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

My gauge is rock solid also. Makes me glad I got a high PE number. I do believe BRP is really trying to get it right.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

I never really noticed before but the gauge on this RT does not bounce. Maybe they just had a bad run of gauges.