Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RT Gas Gauge

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Others have posted putting in over 6 gallons after running out on their RS/GS. The RT uses the same tank as the RS/GS.....same part number for all years and models.
    Yeah, I'm not convinced, as yet. BTW, the 6.6 gallon capacity includes head space. It is not all usable. For those that are upset over this, the GS/RS specs say 7.13 gallons, although the GS shop manual states the correct 6.6. Confused yet? Shall we talk about the advertised 100 hp vs. the 95.0 stated on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin now?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yeah, I'm not convinced, as yet. BTW, the 6.6 gallon capacity includes head space. It is not all usable. For those that are upset over this, the GS/RS specs say 7.13 gallons, although the GS shop manual states the correct 6.6. Confused yet? Shall we talk about the advertised 100 hp vs. the 95.0 stated on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin now?
    Scotty--Yep...very confused. What the heck is "head space"?

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    Scotty--Yep...very confused. What the heck is "head space"?

Glynnk
    All containers, especially for volatile liquids like gasoline, need a certain amount of unused spaced for content expansion, and allowing the tank vent to breathe. Usually, it is about 10%. In addition, the shape of most tanks, combined with the neck for "no-lead" gas nozzles, does not allow filling right to the very top.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

All containers, especially for volatile liquids like gasoline, need a certain amount of unused spaced for content expansion, and allowing the tank vent to breathe. Usually, it is about 10%. In addition, the shape of most tanks, combined with the neck for "no-lead" gas nozzles, does not allow filling right to the very top.
    So this is an industry wide common practice to cite gas capacity which includes the "head space"?

Glynnk
    P.S. I know you've got better things to do than fiddle with my dumb questions and I want you to know that I appreciate your patience.
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=NancysToy;191555]Yeah, I'm not convinced, as yet. BTW, the 6.6 gallon capacity includes head space. It is not all usable. For those that are upset over this, the GS/RS specs say 7.13 gallons, although the GS shop manual states the correct 6.6. Confused yet? Shall we talk about the advertised 100 hp vs. the 95.0 stated on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin now? [/QUOTE

Scotty
    The plot thickens, I have a brochure in front of me now. got it from my dealer this Sat.
    RT = 6.6 US Gal. [25l]
    RS = 7.1 US Gal. [27l]
    And the old brochure from my GS= 7.13.
    The most i've gotten in was 5.9 and the tank wasn't empty. But it had to be close.

Spyder Garage

[quote=boborgera;191609]
    Yeah, I'm not convinced, as yet. BTW, the 6.6 gallon capacity includes head space. It is not all usable. For those that are upset over this, the GS/RS specs say 7.13 gallons, although the GS shop manual states the correct 6.6. Confused yet? Shall we talk about the advertised 100 hp vs. the 95.0 stated on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin now? [/QUOTE

Scotty
    The plot thickens, I have a brochure in front of me now. got it from my dealer this Sat.
    RT = 6.6 US Gal. [25l]
    RS = 7.1 US Gal. [27l]
    The most i've gotten in was 5.9 and the tank wasn't empty. But it had to be close.
    Call it anything you want. The dealer put 5.5 gallons of gas in the tank and it was filled up to the nozzle neck. Maybe you could put a little more gas in. I'm an engineer, and I'll take empirical measurements over volumes any day.
    One thing, the gas mileage supposedly goes up with octane. I started running 87 octane, I was getting 25 mpg. Now I'm running 89 octane, 27 mpg.
    Where do you get 91 octane ?? I see 87, 89, and the next jump up is 93 octane. Maybe I just haven't looked for it enough.

Net net, it looks like you have about 4.5 gallons of usable volume before you get the warning light. That gives you about 30 miles to go find gas.
    If you wait until you burn 5.4 gallons---I wish you luck.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Scotty
    RT = 6.6 US Gal. [25l]
    RS = 7.1 US Gal. [27l]
    BRP once acknowledged on their original Website that the 7.13 figure (which rounds to 7.1) was an error, but somehow resurrected the 7 gallon figure. The shop manual states 6.6 for both machines. There are other errors in the spec sheets and Owner's Guides, like the RT wheel track, so take the figures with a grain of salt.

[quote=SKS06460;191614]
    Call it anything you want. The dealer put 5.5 gallons of gas in the tank and it was filled up to the nozzle neck. Maybe you could put a little more gas in. I'm an engineer, and I'll take empirical measurements over volumes any day.
    One thing, the gas mileage supposedly goes up with octane. I started running 87 octane, I was getting 25 mpg. Now I'm running 89 octane, 27 mpg.
    Where do you get 91 octane ?? I see 87, 89, and the next jump up is 93 octane. Maybe I just haven't looked for it enough.

Net net, it looks like you have about 4.5 gallons of usable volume before you get the warning light. That gives you about 30 miles to go find gas.
    I believe you. It is just confusing. Same gas tank, according to the parts fiche, and I have put as much as 5.9 gallons into Nancy's GS. Usually about 5.2-5.4 gallons at the low fuel warning. My RTS low fuel light came on just as I pulled up to the pump last week, and I put in 4.78 gallons. I wonder if the attitude (tilt) of the tank, as installed, is making a difference? Also makes you wonder if the tank is actually able to drain completely. Many pickup points are above the tank bottom, to avoid sucking water. That makes for more unusable space.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-25-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[quote=SKS06460;191614]
    mpg.

91 Octane New Jersey. But i only use 93. Also my last few fill up's I've been avg. 33 mpg.

Spyder Garage

I see you're in NJ. What exit ?
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Default fuel gauge

Cat talked to our dealer and they said they can take care of the bouncing gauge with our next visit. As far as tank capacity goes, I have put over 5.5 gallons in the tank after the warning light had been on a while. Our dealer said the part # for the gas tank is the same for the sport trike as it is for the RT-S . . . . I plan to throw a gallon of gas in the trunk and run the tank out one of these days just to see what it will hold. . . . .
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKS06460 View Post
    I see you're in NJ. What exit ?
    I'm in North Jersey, No exits here just Jug handles.

Spyder Garage

Bouncing gas guage ... sounds just like the ones on my jet ski. They musta borrowed parts from that department.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

I'm in North Jersey, No exits here just Jug handles.
    At least they got rid of most of those damn circles. I grew up in North Jersey. Morris County. One Day. I will be taking my Spyder down Iron Mountain Road to see if it's as death defying as I remember it when I first learned to drive.
    I doubt it, but I'm sure it will still be a nice ride.
    IBA #47122

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SKS06460;191742]At least they got rid of most of those damn circles. I grew up in North Jersey. Morris County.

Don't you remember how the circles work?

The biggest and most dilapidated vehicles have the right of way.

Spyder Garage

not a good idea to run your fuel tank dry, fuel pump depends on fuel for lub and cooling can damage pump.Ford had a similar problem with fuel guages a few years ago( needle bounce )and we put some kind of module on the back apparenly to slow the signal from tank unit

Spyder Garage

Here's what we need. NOT a calculation of the tank volume, but an actual measurement of how much usable fuel can be carried.

As an example, when measuring the tank capacity, you have to take the volume of the tank, and then subtract the volume taken up by the pump and fuel sending unit. Also, how much fuel is left in the tank when the pump stops . There may be some level of fuel required to maintain the prime for the pump.

Here's what I'm advocating, and I think my dealer will be able to do this.
    Hook up an external catch basin to the fuel pump. Run teh fuel pump inside the tank until it no longer pumps. The tank may or may not be empty, but this will be the absolute lowest level of usable fuel in the tank.
    Next, add 1/2 gallon of gas. Wait five minurtes and see if the low level warning light goes off. If it stays on, put in another 1/2 gallon of fuel. Wait five minutes and check on the light. Continue adding fuel 1/2 gallon at a time until the low level goes offf. That tells us how much gas is in the tank when the warning light goes on.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKS06460 View Post
    Here's what we need. NOT a calculation of the tank volume, but an actual measurement of how much usable fuel can be carried.

As an example, when measuring the tank capacity, you have to take the volume of the tank, and then subtract the volume taken up by the pump and fuel sending unit. Also, how much fuel is left in the tank when the pump stops . There may be some level of fuel required to maintain the prime for the pump.

Here's what I'm advocating, and I think my dealer will be able to do this.
    Hook up an external catch basin to the fuel pump. Run teh fuel pump inside the tank until it no longer pumps. The tank may or may not be empty, but this will be the absolute lowest level of usable fuel in the tank.
    Next, add 1/2 gallon of gas. Wait five minurtes and see if the low level warning light goes off. If it stays on, put in another 1/2 gallon of fuel. Wait five minutes and check on the light. Continue adding fuel 1/2 gallon at a time until the low level goes offf. That tells us how much gas is in the tank when the warning light goes on.
    Sounds like a good plan....keep us posted. As I've said elsewhere, I didn't by my RT-S for the gas mileage, but it sure would be nice to have a 6.6 gallon tank to work with as advertised...every little bit helps.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Here's the latest from Gargano's in East Haven.
    They are an excellent dealership.

As per your request I have re-drained the fuel tank. I drained the tank with the fuel pump and got it to where the pump was no longer pushing fuel. I then added fuel in the tank until the fuel light went off. The light went off at 1.5 Gallons. That should equate to roughly 30-45 miles to empty (depending on the fuel grade and driving habits).

Tonight on the way home, the fuel light went on. I drove for another 10 or 12 miles and stopped for gas. The tank took 4.5 gallons. That indicates the useful capacity is a little more than 5.5 gallons, but less than 6, maybe about 5.75
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I've had a couple of calls (messages) from Carlo (the latest this afternoon) about my recent email on the gas tank capacity issue for the RT. BRP engineering confirms a 6.6 (25 liter)gallon tank for the RT. In addition, Carlo stated that the low gas warning light should come on with 1.3 gallons left. He went on to state that he has personally put in 24.5 liters of gas in a Spyder. So.........we'll see.

Glynnk
    Last edited by glynnk; 04-07-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    I've had a couple of calls (messages) from Carlo (the latest this afternoon) about my recent email on the gas tank capacity issue for the RT. BRP engineering confirms a 6.6 (25 liter)gallon tank for the RT. In addition, Carlo stated that the low gas warning light should come on with 1.3 gallons left. He went on to state that he has personally put in 24.5 liters of gas in a Spyder. So.........we'll see.

Glynnk
    I am surprised at the 24.5 liter (6.47 gallon) statement, especially since a lot of us were warned not to top off the tank. The rest corresponds with what I have seen on mine. Assuming a practical tank volume with about 10% head capacity, if you stop when the no-lead ring vent spits back, that leaves a six gallon fuel capacity. I had the fuel light come on just as I pulled to the gas pump, and put in 4.73 gallons, which leaves a 1.3 gallon reserve after the light. That leaves me a 25-40 mile range after the light before I am Found On Road Dead. It jives!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!