Spyder Garage

Default Finally did it right!

Picked up the RT-S from the dealer again today, after some minor repairs, and rode it home. I did not feel right about having trailered it home when I picked it up initially. Having it sit in my garage with one lousy mile on the odometer was killing me, even though we hadn't seen the pavement on our street in a month. I feel better now.

Not thrilled with the external audio on a bike. This one is probably as good as they get, but it is not my cup of tea on a bike. Too much wind noise interfering, even with good wind protection. Between the reflection of the exhaust sound popping in my helmet and the staccato sound of the music due to the wind buffeting across my helmet vents, it was annoying. Probably has a lot to do with this noisy Scorpion helmet. I'm sure a heavy balaclava didn't help, either. I'll try to be open minded, and re-evaluate it in warmer weather, or with a different helmet. Considering a new Arai, anyway. Not sure of the value if I wear my earplugs. Still, I can't wait to get my Starcom1 comm system in it to put the sound into my helmet speakers once again. I like those best. The iPod integration was swell! Nice to be able to change songs or playlists at will, and adjust the volume. It got real cold in the rear trunk, but it didn't seem to bother the iPod. I have to study the audio system instructions again, to remember which buttons to push. I don't like the presets the dealer left on the radio.

Temp was 31-33 degrees. I had on too many clothes. Not even any heated gear, either. Haven't hooked up the harness yet. I dressed as I would for a ride on my Beemer or Nancy's Spyder, and I was overdressed. Not bad! My left foot got a little cool after an hour, but not really cold. The wind protection on this thing is superb! Could ride for hours at these temps. The heated grips seem too hot. Way hotter than my BMW. I had to turn them on and off, and never got to the high setting. I had on glove liners and a medium weight pair of gloves with no insulation. I'm not sure you could ever get a better motorcycle for the winter. Great protection, and no worries about falling due to a sudden patch of ice or snow.

Had to vary the rpm a lot, due to break-in, but I tried the cruise control briefly, and it works fine, as expected. I had tried it out on the demos, so I knew what to expect. Cruise on a two-wheeler worries me, but it seems natural for the Spyder. The light "fly-by-wire" electronic throttle will take some more getting used to, but it is nice not to have to fight it. I do miss my Throttlemeisters, which allow me to remove my right hand whenever I please, though.

I didn't even get laughed at, or booted out of the BMW shop for showing off the pictures of my new ride, when we stopped there earlier to pick up an additional Accumate charger and a Motorcycling Across Indiana book. Lots of old guys there who understand the difficulties in wrestling a monstrosity of a touring bike. I think they were actually jealous. Al lot of them commented on how close it was to being a BMW K1200LT on three wheels.

Nice day! Only 35 miles, but some smiles along the way. Sun may actually come out tomorrow and it may get closer to 40. I just may ride it a while again, even though getting all those clothes on is a pain in the neck.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-16-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Corrected book title.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I'm sure you'll have your RT all fixed up and wired just so come spring! Glad you got a ryde in to start the breaking in process. Sounds like if the roads cooperate you might get some more miles this winter.
    Marilyn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Scotty, when your ready to use that book, let us know. We will take you on a ride around Indiana. Or maybe you can take us. Love to have you down but let's wait until it warms a little. on getting your spydie back.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Scotty--Nice ride report, but even though the weather here in the Houston area has been unseasonably cold and damp, my riding hasn't been terribly restricted....not good, but at least you can venture out a bit. Reading reports from you folks in the cold, snowy part of the U.S. makes me really appreciate living in the South/Southwest....that is until summer time!

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    a Riding Around Indiana book.

Evenin.....nice ride report! I'd hoped to get mine out today but we had some freezing fog so thought i'd leave the ice on it's own.

I wanted to ask about the book you mentioned. Anybody know where I can order it online? Planning / dreaming about rides is helping me get through the winter & Indiana isn't that far away.

thanks!
    Indecision may or may not be my problem...J. Buffett

2008 gs silver sm5 #74

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlb View Post
    Evenin.....nice ride report! I'd hoped to get mine out today but we had some freezing fog so thought i'd leave the ice on it's own.

I wanted to ask about the book you mentioned. Anybody know where I can order it online? Planning / dreaming about rides is helping me get through the winter & Indiana isn't that far away.

thanks!
    William Murphy has four books out now; Motorcycling Across Michigan, Motorcycling Across Ohio, Motorcycling Across Indiana, and Motorcycling Across Wisconsin. All are available on Amazon, and probably other places online, as well as at some bike shops. Great guides, with many tours, both short and long, laid out road by road. Sorry for the error in the title earlier.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Good write up Scotty, glad you got to put some miles on her. The radio controls should be pretty easy to set, I already set the ones on the demo bike

I remember you answering many of my helmet questions I had and I found one I really like that is versatile like the Can Am hybrid, its the Nolan Trilogy

and in that same post the other member that responded gave a wonderful site for motorcycle gear, I got this helmet cheap

http://WWW.cyclecentralpowersports.com

and by typing in Can-am in their search box they have alot of good clothing too!

Can't wait to here more of your expert impressions. I won't tell you what the weather was like in Santa Monica today.

Regards, TicketBait

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Fair Price?

I live in Illinois, and finally got to take a RT out for a test ride. Loved It !! I have been reading these threads and this seems to be the place to ask this question. I'm a new at this, and I'm looking to purchase a RT-S with a hitch and trailer. Can you tell me what a FAIR price would be for this outfit??
    Last edited by owens9fingers; 01-17-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by owens9fingers View Post
    I live in Illinois, and finally got to take a RT out for a test ride. Loved It !! I have been reading these threads and this seems to be the place to ask this question. I'm a new at this, and I'm looking to purchase a RT-S with a hitch and trailer. Can you tell me what a FAIR price would be for this outfit??
    Some dealers do not discount from list price at all, so MSRP is the most common price. If you can get $1,000 off that for this brand new toy, you are doing OK. Sometimes you can get even better. The real dealing comes on destination charges, setup fees, and so forth. If you can get some of these eliminated or discounted, and pay an actual price that is close to sticker, you are ahead. Finally, look for discounts on the BEST extended warranty, or free installation of options. The RT-S is new on the market, so discounts are not as prevalent or as steep as on the sportier and older RS model yet. In the end, I put my RT-S on the road, with tax, license, and title, for around the MSRP for the bike before the add-on costs. I think that is fair. When we bought our new Premier Edition GS, we paid strict MSRP plus freight, setup, document fees, etc., and we felt lucky to snag one. Can't pin it down further, since there are different models and equipment and transmission options. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-17-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Glad you were able to take out for a spin

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Sounds like all in all you liked it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Sounds like all in all you liked it.
    Oh yeah! I liked the demo rides, especially because the weather was better, but there is nothing like riding your own, and heading for your own garage! I still have to air up the front tires, and do a few mods, but it is going to be a wonderful addition to the stable. It will take a while for my thumb to get used to all those buttons, though...LOL.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE= .

. Al lot of them commented on how close it was to being a BMW K1200LT on three wheels.

Scotty Check out page 13 MOTORCYCLE consumer news / Feb. 2010.
    Maybe not exactly like the K1200LT, But one day soon who knows??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    William Murphy has four books out now; Motorcycling Across Michigan, Motorcycling Across Ohio, Motorcycling Across Indiana, and Motorcycling Across Wisconsin. All are available on Amazon, and probably other places online, as well as at some bike shops. Great guides, with many tours, both short and long, laid out road by road. Sorry for the error in the title earlier.

Thank you!
    Indecision may or may not be my problem...J. Buffett

2008 gs silver sm5 #74