Spyder Garage

Default Need Feedback Puleeeze

Hi

I sorta put the cart before the horse. I joined this fourm
    because I am planning on purchasing a Spyder. I don't
    have one yet. The first time I saw the Spyder was on
    a TV program a few weeks ago. I had never seen one
    until then. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted one. I've
    never ridden a motorcycle but, I've always wanted to too.
    I think the Spyder is the answer to all my prayers.

Can you give this newbie (soon to be anyway) advice on
    the Spyder in terms of stability, ease of use, "dangers" I
    should be aware of? Regardless, I'm getting one but, wanted
    to pose the question anyway. Any helpful advice would be
    appreciated. Thanks, M

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

I can understand your concerns. I have not been on 2 wheels for over 20 years because of a balance problem. But I can and have ridden the Spyder without any issues. I was on a project in Sacramento for a year and visited a Can-Am dealership. The sales guy got me on a test ride on the first visit. My wind in the face days have returned. The Spyder is very stable and was easy to learn and use. As far as "dangers" as always I would say that trying to do something your skill level is not ready for.

I am patiently, not, waiting my call on my RT-S arriving. Not all that bad as my company has sent me on another project until middle of Feb.

Being that you are in California, you do not need an endorsement to test ride one. I would say call a dealer near you and get on one.

PS I had many test rides.

Spyder Garage

welcome
    I would say take a motorcycle safety course. In PA they are free & you leave the class with your M endorsement, besides learning many valuable skills.

Go for the test ride to see if it's what you really want.
    It only to myself a mile on the demo & I was back signing paper work.
    Good Luck Ryde Safe
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

welcome

Mdoty, I am in the east Bay Area. There are several dealers in the area and they have free demo rides. I recommend California Speed Sports in Livermore or Marina Boat Sales in Lodi. There is also East Bay Motorsports in Hayward.

Let me know if you want or need more information, I'm local so I could meet you in person. My husband works in Oakland.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

welcome First big bike was a . I'm 57 years young and love it, put a little over 11,000 miles on it in 6 months. Safe and solid as a rock, easy to learn,no leaning ( a little body english never hurts in the corners ) no putting your feet down . Rain or shine its a blast .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Test Rides and Dealer in the Bay Area

I would contact Kregg Williams at Speed Sports in Livermore, 925-606-1998. He is the owner and a good guy. Nice small shop and they are friendly and helpful. Mark, his mechanic, seems very knowledgeable.

I have ridden two wheelers since the 1980's and have had a couple of sidecars. There is a learning curve on all. The suggestion of taking an MSF course is fantastic because you learn a lot in a safe atmosphere and you learn how to drive more defensively and smartly than you do on four wheels.

I am waiting for my PE RT also and live in the San Jose area if I can help in any way.

Lonnie

Spyder Garage

Mdoty Welcome to the forum. You will get great info from this forum from a wide variety of really neat people.

I must warn you though, and I have never done any sort of drug in my life, and I think the fabric on the seats are laced with crystal meth or some type of drug, because if you ride just once, you have to have more! Just kidding there.

Anyway, do take a test ride and enjoy. Remember, these things will go around 130 mph so you must be a responsible operator.

welcome

Spyder Garage

All I can say is "it doesn't suck "
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mdoty, you're not alone. I've been stalking this board since my test ride in Nov. My goal here is to learn about the pros and cons of the RT. I don't think you're putting the cart before the horse at all.

As far as advice, I can tell you that you may actually be ahead of the curve. Many of us 2 wheeled riders have habits we need to kick to ride the Spyder: Use of the front hand brake, and putting your foot down at stops. 2 things you DO NOT want to try on the Spyder. First, there is no hand brake, only the foot brake. Second, trying to put your foot down will get you in bring time trouble.

As far as the MSF class, I'm torn. Yeah, you'll learn some good stuff, but they're going to drill into head to use the front brake. you'll just have unlearn that when you get your Spyder.

Good luck with your choice. The guys and gals on this Forum are great and I'm hoping to learn a lot before I jump off and trade my BMW in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dwsdad View Post
    Mdoty, you're not alone. I've been stalking this board since my test ride in Nov. My goal here is to learn about the pros and cons of the RT. I don't think you're putting the cart before the horse at all.

As far as advice, I can tell you that you may actually be ahead of the curve. Many of us 2 wheeled riders have habits we need to kick to ride the Spyder: Use of the front hand brake, and putting your foot down at stops. 2 things you DO NOT want to try on the Spyder. First, there is no hand brake, only the foot brake. Second, trying to put your foot down will get you in bring time trouble.

As far as the MSF class, I'm torn. Yeah, you'll learn some good stuff, but they're going to drill into head to use the front brake. you'll just have unlearn that when you get your Spyder.

Good luck with your choice. The guys and gals on this Forum are great and I'm hoping to learn a lot before I jump off and trade my BMW in.
    I'm right with you guys too. I sold my in the summer because of health problems and probably will need knee replacemnt surgery. But the I will be test driving an RT. Can't wait till Spring

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjchoops View Post
    I'm right with you guys too. I sold my in the summer because of health problems and probably will need knee replacemnt surgery. But the I will be test driving an RT. Can't wait till Spring
    Good luck with the knee replacement. Nancy had one in April, and I had one in August. Do what the folks in PT tell you to do, and you will be better than you've been in years!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!