Thread: Salty Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Salty Spyder

the iPhone pic came out better than expected, but in reality it was way more intense. This is what my Spyder looked like when I got to work this morning. I spent the holiday weekend scurrying around CT and playing in the snow, but things change drastically when I get in to the salt on the parkways in NY.

Not sure what's funnier; the look on the faces of drivers on the parkway or the look on the guys at the car wash this evening when I was hosing it down. Best part is pulling away as the water freezes in place.

Spyder Garage

Nic,
    BRP should really consider working out a deal with you to enable them to ship your Spyder to the factory and really tearing into it. You have tested it to the extreme...they would benefit from this.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

wow no wonder few of you will not ride in the winter. to much salt for me i am on a salt free ryde.
    Last edited by truck 85; 01-05-2010 at 01:48 AM.
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nickcaro View Post
    the iPhone pic came out better than expected, but in reality it was way more intense. This is what my Spyder looked like when I got to work this morning. I spent the holiday weekend scurrying around CT and playing in the snow, but things change drastically when I get in to the salt on the parkways in NY.

Not sure what's funnier; the look on the faces of drivers on the parkway or the look on the guys at the car wash this evening when I was hosing it down. Best part is pulling away as the water freezes in place.

Wow, that is some serious salt on there!

GLAD you washed it off quickly, that stuff will eat away at the metals and things.

Good stuff on riding in the cold winter conditions!

Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Nic,
    BRP should really consider working out a deal with you to enable them to ship your Spyder to the factory and really tearing into it. You have tested it to the extreme...they would benefit from this.
    +1
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nick I know you might hate me after reading this but it's the low 90's today in Bangkok, a bit too hot for me but better then 20's - 30's will have to deal with that soon anyway. I Spyder will never see such weather, I miss riding it and hope all the snow/salt will be gone when I get home so I can take it out for a spin . BRP should trade you up to a new Spyder, I think you have put the most miles on a Spyder and they should take yours to tear it apart and see how things held up.

Spyder Garage

"Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

wow
    great feed back with pictures

Spyder Garage

A few BRP folks did bring up the topic of doing a tear down on it and we played around with the idea earlier in 09'.... so we'll see if anything develops from it.

I push through some ugly conditions and park outdoors, so when I reach my 2 year mark, this Spyder will have aged about 7-9. It's almost like dog years and better than any simulated endurance testing. Although I don't routinely wash it, I'm fanatical about changing the oil and do it once a month on the first weekend. Other than that, I just put in gas and go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nickcaro View Post
    A few BRP folks did bring up the topic of doing a tear down on it and we played around with the idea earlier in 09'.... so we'll see if anything develops from it.

I push through some ugly conditions and park outdoors, so when I reach my 2 year mark, this Spyder will have aged about 7-9. It's almost like dog years and better than any simulated endurance testing. Although I don't routinely wash it, I'm fanatical about changing the oil and do it once a month on the first weekend. Other than that, I just put in gas and go.
    Ummmm ... do you mean Spyder years?
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Default fenderless in the winter

+After experiencing the crap I've been through riding this winter, I think it's unwise to have removed your fenders. I get lightly covered by spray, so you've got to be tossing it back on you in quantity.

Leather upkeep is also a bear.

Other than that, keep on keepin' on.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    2008 GS Roadster , Roadster Red