Spyder Garage

Default Chicago April 26-27 .. Which Route Home?

Need your help!!

Sales Meeting at Ohare. Going to Spyder it to Chicago. Live in Statesville, NC (North of Charlotte). Will leave Chicago Wed 28th and have to be back home by Saturday, May 8th.

Big question - Considering time of year should my route be?

#1 - (This is my preferred trip but concerned about weather/temps) - Chicago to NY State, Vermont, New Hampshire, Penn with dips into a couple of other states - approx 2,500 miles total. (want to include northern New York and Vermont)

#2 - Chicago to Eastern Nebraska thru Missourri to northern Arkansas and home via Tenn.(Not real sure about nebraska ... don't know what's there to see and if roads are interesting??)- approx 2,500 miles (will want to spend extra time in Ozarks in Mo. and explore the great roads in Northern Ark)

Since I'll be taking the Spyder, I'll be more interested in scenic rides, POI's and unique "must see's" including restaurants.

To those who are familiar with the areas listed above and the time of year - which route should I start working on?

Thanks ..... Sam

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like an awesome trip whichever way you go.

Spyder Garage

Travel in the Great Lakes area can be iffy in the Spring, but your chances are pretty good to avoid snow that late in April. Maybe not cold or rain, however. Less predictable in the north part of NY, and especially VT and NH, however. The trip East is more of a risk overall, but may be possible. You'd have to keep a close eye on the weather, including that in the mountains, which can differ, and change more suddenly that time of year. If you are prepared to turn around and head the other direction suddenly, and punt, you'll might be OK. The route SSW is safer, for the most part. Meanest part of the journey is the insane raods near Ohare, IMO!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Meanest part of the journey is the insane roads near Ohare, IMO!
    Hadn't thought about that.. I'm going to find someone/somewhere on the outskirts to park the Spyder and take a cab.

Thanks for the thoughts .. The portion of the SW trip through IL, NE and northern MO don't excite me. I really want to do the New England thing if at all possible. I guess I could scratch the northern routes through NY and VT if necessary.

********** Hey dave01, can I borrow your POV?!!

Spyder Garage

Default Spring Trip

One suggestion is to head west from Chicago towards LaCrosse, WI or Dubuque,IA. From there you can begin a journey south down the Mississippi River (Great River Road) which is both scenic and historic. If the weather is favorable you can go further north in Wisconsin and work towards the Twin Cities to begin the journey. There are many river towns to explore and great two lane roads on both sides of the river. Here is a link that may help: http://www.experiencemississippiriver.com/

Have a safe trip!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Toys42 View Post
    One suggestion is to head west from Chicago towards LaCrosse, WI or Dubuque,IA. From there you can begin a journey south down the Mississippi River (Great River Road) which is both scenic and historic. If the weather is favorable you can go further north in Wisconsin and work towards the Twin Cities to begin the journey. There are many river towns to explore and great two lane roads on both sides of the river. Here is a link that may help: http://www.experiencemississippiriver.com/

Have a safe trip!
    That's not a bad idea. I could explore the river roads to southern MO then head to the Ozarks and NW Arkansas and back to MS to my old home in Vicksburg! If I don't or can't put the N.E. trip together, I think The River tour will be my alternate. THANKS.

Spyder Garage

Snows all gone here in NY by then except for a few patches on the ski slopes, but spring is the rainy season in the northeast.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Spyder party in Fulton, NY Now until April.

7 inches of snow Friday
    42 inches of snow Sat & Sun
    plowed another 4 inches at 6:00 am this morning
    plowed another 2.5 inches at 12:30 this afternoon
    snowing like crazy now.

Bring a shovel!!

Can get cold and bridges might have ice on them in the early morning. Will get snow in May around Syracuse and north sometimes. Check forecast when you get ready to leave.

Let me know if you are going to get up this way and will try to ryde with you for a few miles.

Spyder Garage

Sam.
    Another consideration is Southern Indiana into Kentucky and the Tenn. All three state have some really great riding. The Mississippi route from LaCrosse or even Praire du Chien if you did not want to go as far north as LaCrosse is a great route as stated before.

Have a great trip
    Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBill View Post
    Sam.
    Another consideration is Southern Indiana into Kentucky and the Tenn. All three state have some really great riding. The Mississippi route from LaCrosse or even Praire du Chien if you did not want to go as far north as LaCrosse is a great route as stated before.

Have a great trip
    Bill
    Thanks, Bill. I'm doing the Southern Indiana/ Kentucky route on the way up!! Sounds like you might be confirming the Mississippi route!

At this point I think I'm going to shy away from the northeast trip because of the higher possibility of inclement weather..

Thanks,
    Sam