Thread: Questions

Spyder Garage

Default Questions

OK, time for you to help the Professor out for a change. I need some questions answered.

1. The RT-S is supposed to have a front cargo light. I find nothing, and see no light. Where is it located and what conditions (besides opening the trunk and triggering the microswitch there) make it work...engine running, switch on or off, etc.?

2. My analog fuel gauge is lighted, but my temp gauge is not, is this normal? BTW, there appear to be no bulbs listed for these gauges, has anyone torn apart the dash to see if there is a separate bulb that can be replaced?

Please help me see the light.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi Scotty, it shows a cargo light in the parts catalogue. Looks like it should be on the left side near the horn?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Hi Scotty, it shows a cargo light in the parts catalogue. Looks like it should be on the left side near the horn?
    I saw that, but I can't seem to find it in the trunk or anywhere near it. maybe it's too dark.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

How does one gain access to that parts catalog?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Go to BRP's website and on the bottom left of the main page click on owners center. You can find owners manuals, parts and recall info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Go to BRP's website and on the bottom left of the main page click on owners center. You can find owners manuals, parts and recall info.
    Or...go to the Home Page here, and scoll down to the lower right hand side for the links.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Motor has to be running for the light to work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Thanks Lamont, I'll check it out. Rep at the IMS didn't even know they had a cargo area light...LOL.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thanks Lamont, I'll check it out. Rep at the IMS didn't even know they had a cargo area light...LOL.
    The light is pretty weak as lights go, I had to really look for it as I couldn't tell you where it was either..

Spyder Garage

The light is pretty weak as lights go, I had to really look for it as I couldn't tell you where it was either..
    That's probably why I didn't notice it with the engine running. From the looks of things, the cargo liner could easily cover it, too.

How about the temp gauge, is that supposed to be lit?
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, you know, Scotty--just like the "cargo lights" on your other Spyder...

Spyder Garage

That's probably why I didn't notice it with the engine running. From the looks of things, the cargo liner could easily cover it, too.

How about the temp gauge, is that supposed to be lit?
    Yes it should be lit. My guess is the spade connector came off.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again. I'll pull the console and check.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Well, I found the cargo light, thanks to Lamont's pictures and description. He's right, it is weak. No wonder I couldn't spot it with the trunk open in the dark. Looks like a place for another Maglite. I wouldn't spend money on it as an accessory for another model of Spyder RT.

The connectors were on the temperature gauge and they were tight. Looks like a burned out bulb, reverse polarity, a dead circuit, or a bad gauge. I didn't troubleshoot further. I didn't spot a replaceable bulb in a socket, but I didn't look too hard. Back to the shop...as soon as the weather permits. What a pain in the winter.

Also found a marginal battery that won't take a full charge. Very disappointed overall. Not a deal breaker, but not $25K quality, either.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Fully understand your feelings Scotty. I was delivered mine minus an owners manual and the plug for the body hole where CB would go. The dealers shop was a total wreck. I'm suprised they were able to find their tools to assy. the RT. Anyway, gave the dealer a poor rating for service dept. and they called me to ask if I'd change the evaluation. Told them I'd see them at the 600 mile service and re-evaluate. I'm with you NOT ON PAR WITH A $25k PURCHASE.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    Fully understand your feelings Scotty. I was delivered mine minus an owners manual and the plug for the body hole where CB would go. The dealers shop was a total wreck. I'm suprised they were able to find their tools to assy. the RT. Anyway, gave the dealer a poor rating for service dept. and they called me to ask if I'd change the evaluation. Told them I'd see them at the 600 mile service and re-evaluate. I'm with you NOT ON PAR WITH A $25k PURCHASE.
    I explained that in my comments after they called to survey me last week. Not the dealer's fault, at all, I gave them high marks on that, separate survey. I'm still having electrical problems. The gauge has been on and off. (OK while in the shop, of course.) Now one foglight has quit. Not really sure if it ever worked, but I thought I had checked. It was also running intermittently on just one cylinder. Nagging little nothing sort of problems, but not the quality control I would expect for the price. Pain in the neck to keep running back to the dealer 35 miles away...especially during a Michigan winter.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I explained that in my comments after they called to survey me last week. Not the dealer's fault, at all, I gave them high marks on that, separate survey. I'm still having electrical problems. The gauge has been on and off. (OK while in the shop, of course.) Now one foglight has quit. Not really sure if it ever worked, but I thought I had checked. It was also running intermittently on just one cylinder. Nagging little nothing sort of problems, but not the quality control I would expect for the price. Pain in the neck to keep running back to the dealer 35 miles away...especially during a Michigan winter.
    Scotty--Haven't experienced any of the problems you or others have mentioned, other than the 600 mile check-up price tag, ugh ($313). One perhaps dumb a*# question though...how do you know or tell it was running on one cyclinder? Keep in mind my mechanical dexterity consists of checking the oil on the thing and that's about it!

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    Scotty--Haven't experienced any of the problems you or others have mentioned, other than the 600 mile check-up price tag, ugh ($313). One perhaps dumb a*# question though...how do you know or tell it was running on one cyclinder? Keep in mind my mechanical dexterity consists of checking the oil on the thing and that's about it!

Glynnk
    Was hard to start and down on power. I didn't bother to check further, dealer found it running on one cylinder. It was this way when first started the day I picked it up.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

running intermittently on just one cylinder. Nagging little nothing sort of problems.
    I would not consider int. one cylinder a nothing sort type of problems. You are way generous on your comment. One cylinder from day one on a $25K bike does not belong on the same page let alone in the same sentenance.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    I would not consider int. one cylinder a nothing sort type of problems. You are way generous on your comment. One cylinder from day one on a $25K bike does not belong on the same page let alone in the same sentenance.
    I would agree if it were a bad coil, or some serious mechaniccal woe, but a fouled plug means nothing. The quality control, either at the factory or at the dealer does not impress me, so I mentioned it, but it is no biggie deal.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would agree if it were a bad coil, or some serious mechaniccal woe, but a fouled plug means nothing. The quality control, either at the factory or at the dealer does not impress me, so I mentioned it, but it is no biggie deal.
    I read your posts and have to laugh. No offense. I freak at those things you call no biggie. Fortunately, as far as I can tell, everything on my Spyder works the way it should. Maybe it's just lucky I'm not sure what to look for.
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler~ View Post
    I read your posts and have to laugh. No offense. I freak at those things you call no biggie. Fortunately, as far as I can tell, everything on my Spyder works the way it should. Maybe it's just lucky I'm not sure what to look for.
    Yes, we all have different degrees of mechanical aptitude and experience. I realize that, and I know I have more than the average. In this case, even I deferred to the dealer, but my point was that a fouled plug is a minor problem, no matter who fixes it. If running on one cylinder was caused by a hole in the piston, a bent valve, or a burned out coil, I'd consider it major, but not a $5 plug (which is $8.50 from BRP).

One last word for all you folks with clean fingernails. Remember that almost every motorcycle ever built came with a toolkit, including the Spyder. Your manual has the basic maintenance procedures. It pays to become familiar with the tools and procedures, best accomplished by performing some basic maintenance yourself. Even if you don't do it yourself, you can tell better if the dealer has done what he was supposed to when he did the service for you, if you bone up on the tools and procedures.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default I second that!!

One last word for all you folks with clean fingernails. Remember that almost every motorcycle ever built came with a toolkit, including the Spyder. Your manual has the basic maintenance procedures. It pays to become familiar with the tools and procedures, best accomplished by performing some basic maintenance yourself. Even if you don't do it yourself, you can tell better if the dealer has done what he was supposed to when he did the service for you, if you bone up on the tools and procedures.[/QUOTE]

Has to be the most frustrating thing about the Spyder being built to grow the ranks of motorcyclists. Spyder brings in people who are NEW to the trials & tribulations of motorcycling...it requires more than just getting on and turning the key. I have to breathe deep over some of the complaints. Not that possessed steering is a trivial complaint!
    Happy Owner!