Spyder Garage

Default Some Body Help Me Out Here!

I've got an RT-S PE (no CB or trailer). I've got a console toggle that shows the front trunk opening, however, it doesn't seem to work. The manual key twist approach works although it's a little difficult at times (not as easy as my old GS model). The owners manual features the toggle operation as an "option". Do I have that option...like I say, I've got the toggle that shows that feature? What am I missing? Everything else apperas to be working fine, although I've just scratched the surface on the run through of the digital display features. The audio system and iPod are great. Leaving the dealer today I had a full tank of gas. I've driven 75 miles and the fuel gage needle is almost at the halfway mark...hmmmmm. The weather is suppose to be decent again tomorrow so I'll put some more miles on it.

Appreciate any viewpoints on the trunk toggle issue.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

BillGargan

I am unsure -- but, I think you must have power on for that to work.

Spyder Garage

The engine has to be running for the electric latch release to work. We ran into that problem when I picked mine up, and it took the tech ten minutes to figure it out. They had to call BRP, since there is no service manual as yet. I'm not sure, but there might be a delay. Mine wouldn't work immediately after the engine was started. Check the latch adjustment on your RT. With the hard turning key release, it may be a bit tight. I've seen a couple that wouldn't even latch. The latch adjusts up and down via the attaching bolts.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The owners manual features
    the toggle operation as an "option". Do I have that option
    Yes you have that option ,and also the liner and light inside front storage area. pg 38 of owners manual tells how to open.

The demo model at the dealership has a problem with the rear latch not working , so everytime you start it says rear cargo open, at least it doesn't chime.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bill, Scotty and TicketBait--I'll check it out and try it with the engine on. While I haven't had an opportunity yet to go through the owners manual in detail, in reading over the sections that talk about the trunk there's no mention of having to have the engine on before it'll open....is there?

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

My RT did the same thing. The latch is out of line. You need to take a 10mm wrench and loosen the 2 nuts that hold the latch. Gently take a screwdriver and pry the latch up just a little. Tighten the nuts. Close the lid and if it closes easily, the key release should work. If not repeat the operation and move the latch up a little bit more. Be sure the nuts are tight when you have the latch in the right position. You do not have to have power on to open the latch with the key. To use the electric opener, you must have the engine running. You may have to remove the two triangle panels near the cargo hold opening to get at the bolts/nuts. If this is not clear enough, pm me and I will send you a pic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTRIDER View Post
    My RT did the same thing. The latch is out of line. You need to take a 10mm wrench and loosen the 2 nuts that hold the latch. Gently take a screwdriver and pry the latch up just a little. Tighten the nuts. Close the lid and if it closes easily, the key release should work. If not repeat the operation and move the latch up a little bit more. Be sure the nuts are tight when you have the latch in the right position. You do not have to have power on to open the latch with the key. To use the electric opener, you must have the engine running. You may have to remove the two triangle panels near the cargo hold opening to get at the bolts/nuts. If this is not clear enough, pm me and I will send you a pic.
    Yeah, I tried the power on approach and that didn't work, so it's got to be your suggested approach. You've got mail...

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

On this last RT I had to add a little grease to the latch to get it to release with the switch. It releases great now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    On this last RT I had to add a little grease to the latch to get it to release with the switch. It releases great now.
    Good suggestion, Lamont. Greasing the latch mechanism periodically on the Spyder RS also helps the key release it more easily, and might benefit that on the RT, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I'll give that a try...

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont---that little grease to the latch did the trick!! Works fine now.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!