Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    He said everything is going to be ok....

If he offers you Kool aid look out

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about lemon laws, we have one in Ill. too, but I believe there is a law regarding bringing a product to the market before it is sorted out. Something about using the owners as a develpoment source..you might check into that with the previously mention pitball attorney.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    So, next question? Are they going to extend your warranty an extra 3 months to cover the time it sat in the shop?

MM
    Nope, probably no extension on the factory warranty.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    6 Spoke rims with wheel trim kit, Hindle exhaust, F1 EVO Slide windshield,
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    After being out of service for THREE MONTHS???????

They should give you a brand new Spyder, never mind a warranty extension......

I wouldn't stand for treatment like that.

You gonna be my representative on that....or
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

All your problems qualify w/ the CT lemon law - I don't get why every state doesn't have one.

Reasonable is 4 attempts or 30 days or more in the shop for the same repair issue. Yes it includes motorcycles.

If you don't have a lemon law, I'd be calling an attorney like right now. 12 weeks equal 1/4 of a year of it not working. That would p*ss me off.

UPDATE:: This thursday will be 12 weeks in the shop.

So far a new DPS,new SAS,zeroed out steering and alignment done. Got a call from dealer today saying it is still throwing Check DPS. Now they are to put another DPS in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    If you don't have a lemon law, I'd be calling an attorney like right now. 12 weeks equal 1/4 of a year of it not working.
    All the attorneys in the world won't help if there are no laws against it, and you can't prove negligence or substantial monetary loss. Likely the lawyer would get most of the profits if you did prevail in court. BTW, the majority of state lemon laws do not cover motorcycles. Not fair, but until a bunch of legislators start riding motorcycles, we are probably out of luck.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Well then what would it take to make all states cover mc's under a lemon law - alot of squeaky wheels! If it were my state with no lemon law for bikes, I'd be starting w/ the atty general and seeing where it leads from there. It would be a hill that I'd die on.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    All the attorneys in the world won't help if there are no laws against it, and you can't prove negligence or substantial monetary loss. Likely the lawyer would get most of the profits if you did prevail in court. BTW, the majority of state lemon laws do not cover motorcycles. Not fair, but until a bunch of legislators start riding motorcycles, we are probably out of luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Just because there isn't a specific motorcycle law on the books, doesn't mean there aren't other consumer protection laws on the books.

I wouldn't quit before I started.......

$17K+ invested in a product that he can't use for 3 months and running because of a GLARING safety defect is preposterous.....I'd at least consult an attorney if I were in his shoes.......or a local TV news station.......
    That approach has possibilities. Has it occurred to anyone that BRP would be ahead of the game to set aside a pool of replacement vehicles for situations like these, just to avoid bad publicity, and show they go the extra mile? Dltang, BJT, and Stgilmer deserve better...and others may, too. I understand that the factory and techs may be stymied, but they need a backup plan for those occasions.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

From this website: http://www.lemonjustice.com/lemon-la...rcycle_law.php

.....Georgia Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. However, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manufacturer of any product — from your toaster to your lemon motorcycle — must abide by the warranty. Unlike the Georgia Lemon Law for new cars, which requires you to go into arbitration, you need to sue the manufacturer and/or dealer of your motorcycle in a court of law. The window of time to initiate a lawsuit is small, so speak to a Lemon Law attorney if your motorcycle has been in the shop three times for the same problem. If your case is successful, the manufacturer will have pay for attorneys' fees, so you shouldn't have to pay for representation.
    As with other types of Lemon Law claims, organization is key to presenting a convincing case. Keep spotless records of every malfunction and problem you have had with your motorcycle since you bought it. Save all of the paperwork that you received every time you brought your motorcycle to be serviced. Catalog the days the motorcycle spent in the shop and out of your possession. Remember, the more organized your evidence is, the more likely it is that your attorney can win your case.
    Make sure to send the manufacturer a notification letter (sample notification letter) via certified mail with a return receipt requested.......

So since in Georgia, the Lemon Law doesn't cover your Spyder but I would still think with you cataloging 90 consecutive days in the shop you could get somewhere with that and a decent atty.

You gonna be my representative on that....or
    Last edited by Smylinacha; 01-26-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yup Yup Yup - you got that right!

That approach has possibilities. Has it occurred to anyone that BRP would be ahead of the game to set aside a pool of replacement vehicles for situations like these, just to avoid bad publicity, and show they go the extra mile? Dltang, BJT, and Stgilmer deserve better...and others may, too. I understand that the factory and techs may be stymied, but they need a backup plan for those occasions.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

just to avoid bad publicity, and show they go the extra mile? Dltang, BJT, and Stgilmer deserve better...and others may, too. I understand that the factory and techs may be stymied, but they need a backup plan for those occasions.
    They have a backup plan = Give them 25 thousand dollars and they'll
    sell you a new and improved ? Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    They have a backup plan = Give them 25 thousand dollars and they'll
    sell you a new and improved ? Spyder.
    The chances of that happening are getting slimming and slimmer by the minute.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

(sample notification letter) via certified mail with a return receipt requested.......
    Thanks for going to the trouble of finding that, never know if it might come in handy or not.

For all the ryders that have had theirs fixed and put up for the winter. Be Careful when getting them out this spring. If the investigation is still ongoing then how did they fix yours. Something to think about. Hopefully they did get it fixed and you are able to get out there and have a good time.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I do not know if it is "truly" fixed. I got a new DPS, like others people did. not like it was explained to me WHY I locked up or WHY the new DPS would fix it. Everything has been going around in my head to faulty communication between computers, the sensors that are under the roads miscommunicating with my sensors in the bike, the ecm, the list goes on. I am NO gearhead and I wonder. Guess you can say that since it is only January, I got a couple more months to go until actual season starts so it ain't going anywhere - tucked nicely away in teh garage. I wouldn't think twice ryding it on my local rydes but no way will I be going on the highway with it full speed until I hear more about what's going on with the "fix" or whatever you wanna call it.

Thanks for going to the trouble of finding that, never know if it might come in handy or not.

For all the ryders that have had theirs fixed and put up for the winter. Be Careful when getting them out this spring. If the investigation is still ongoing then how did they fix yours. Something to think about. Hopefully they did get it fixed and you are able to get out there and have a good time.

Spyder Garage

then why are some people being charged for the fix
    I agree with you and have filed a report myself. But I don't think it will go into another recall, from what Carlo was saying was that it is under the first recall being that it was for the steering.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    then why are some people being charged for the fix
    Mine wasn't - dealer didn't charge me anything. It fell under the factory warranty.

Spyder Garage

yea but if you where out of warrenty you would of have to paid???
    Mine wasn't - dealer didn't charge me anything. It fell under the factory warranty.

Spyder Garage

Default My spyder is still f****d

I have waited three weeks to get my spyder dps/steering issue resolved.
    Went to pick it up today and got 8 miles (out of 60) before it went into limp mode . Brought it back to the shop and they re-installed the dps , drove it 18 miles and had 4 codes come up. The tech went over the dps, the sas and the torque sensor(?). It's 5:30 and I have been here since this morning.
    I wanted to have this vehicle as my primary mode of transportation.

vent mode off now.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    I have waited three weeks to get my spyder dps/steering issue resolved.
    Went to pick it up today and got 8 miles (out of 60) before it went into limp mode . Brought it back to the shop and they re-installed the dps , drove it 18 miles and had 4 codes come up. The tech went over the dps, the sas and the torque sensor(?). It's 5:30 and I have been here since this morning.
    I wanted to have this vehicle as my primary mode of transportation.

I feel your pain

HDX good riddle, will it be a riddle that is never answered...
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

I feel your pain

HDX good riddle, will it be a riddle that is never answered...
    PROBELEY

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking I would if I didn't have a warranty of any sort.

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    yea but if you where out of warrenty you would of have to paid???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    Just a thought, but maybe the BRP employee (s) monitoring this forum can't come forward because by doing so they would "blow" their cover and the other members might see that perhaps some of the positive posts about the steering delima were actually made by them. Carlos...please tell us what your handle is .........curious minds would like to know.
    Who do YOU work for?

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Who do YOU work for?
    Click on my screen name to find out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default can we ride it

hi there just got my 08 with 3000 miles on it maybe road it a mile it's 20' out here way to cold so in the garage.i was reading what they where saying about the steering can it be shut off and ride it with out hurting it?? maybe until they fine out whats going on or until some one takes them to court.i wanted one of these ever since i seen the first one but had to wait a few years the price was to high for me,gave up on the 2 wheel ones wanted somthing a little safer hope i didnt make a wrong choice?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    hi there just got my 08 with 3000 miles on it maybe road it a mile it's 20' out here way to cold so in the garage.i was reading what they where saying about the steering can it be shut off and ride it with out hurting it?? maybe until they fine out whats going on or until some one takes them to court.i wanted one of these ever since i seen the first one but had to wait a few years the price was to high for me,gave up on the 2 wheel ones wanted something a little safer hope i didnt make a wrong choice?
    Depends a lot on you, your comfort level, and your feelings about your ability to handle such situations. The number of failures has been small, compared to the number of Spyders, so the odds are with you. Some of the incidents have been real nail-biters, though. Only you can assess your feelings about those two opposite facts. My wife and I personally have chosen to continue to ride, and we even bought a second Spyder. To me the plusses outweigh the minuses...but that's only me, and I can't advise you which decision to make.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!